Update on women shot by LAPD after Dorner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Update on women shot by LAPD after Dorner

City Promises New Truck to Women At Shot During Cop-Killer Manhunt…But It Comes With a Tax Surprise
    Mar. 12, 2013 6:30pm Becket Adams

L.A. Not Complications Arise After LAPD Promises Emma Hernandez, 71, & Her Daughter, Margie Carranza a New Truck

A close-up look at the bullet holes in the pickup truck driven by a woman and her 71-year-old mother delivering newspapers. (L.A. Times).

Two women who were shot at during the Los Angeles Police Department’s frantic search for alleged cop-killer Christopher Dorner last month say city officials have failed to adequately atone for their mistake, according to their attorney Glen Jonas.

“It has been more than a month since LAPD Chief Charlie Beck promised the truck to Emma Hernandez, 71, and her daughter, Margie Carranza, who had been working in Torrance, Calif. before dawn on Feb. 7,” NBC4 News reports.

In what city officials call a “case of mistaken identity,” police officers on Feb. 7 opened fire on Hernandez’ truck, riddling it with more than 100 bullets. After the terrifying incident, Beck told Hernandez the city would replace her truck with one from Galpin Ford, a local car dealership.

But this is where things start to fall apart.

“LAPD and Galpin Ford wanted [the women] to pose for a photo opportunity and pay income tax on the truck,” the NBC report reads, citing Jonas. “The women no longer want the truck after they were told they needed to fill out a 1099 form for the donation.”

For those of you who don’t know that a 1099 form is, it’s for tax form for “miscellaneous income.”

“You tried to murder the woman, now you’re telling her she can’t have a four-wheel drive, you’re telling her she can’t sell it and you’ve got to be taxed on it?” Jonas said. “How would anyone react to that?”

“Jonas plans on filing a government claim, which is a precursor to any lawsuit filed against a government agency. He said he felt the truck was being touted as a ‘reward or prize’ instead of a sincere gesture by the LAPD,” NBC 4 News notes:

According to Galpin Ford, the new 2013 Ford 150 SuperCrew is worth about $32,500. Also, according to a dealership spokesperson, Galpin Ford planned on covering the cost of sales tax, vehicle registration, and title.

“It’s really sad for us because we want to help these women move on with their lives, and help them move forward with that, we just can’t get past the 1099 issue,” LAPD Cmdr. Andrew Smith said. “The government has to take their bite out of it, I guess.”

Emma Hernandez is currently recovering from two bullet wounds taken to the neck, which, according to Jonas, are giving her “life-threatening complications.”

“The grandmother, Emma, starts saying, ‘God have mercy on us,’ because she thinks for sure they’re going to die,” Jonas said, recounting the Feb. 7 shooting. “She then clutches around the back seat of her daughter to protect her from the gun shots because her daughter has children.”

Eight officers involved in the shooting have been placed on “non-field assignments” until “the (police) chief decides otherwise.”

I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

HAHA. Hey we almost killed you..........here's a free truck.
    2004 Suzuki DL650
    1996 Hy-Tek Hurricane 103

Comment

The LAPD should have been happy that was all. Now the 2 women are going to back up an armored truck to the door steps.

Comment

I hope they make the LAPD pay dearly. 108 rounds into their truck? I'm thinking 1 mil per round fired by attempted murderers backed by a badge.

Comment

I thought there would be strings attached when I first heard the police chief made the claim that he would take care of her truck. Nevermind the fact that our racist, gun wielding out of control officers put you both in the hospital using blitzkrieg tactics..and dumped OVER 100 rounds of ammo into both of you AND your truck..essentially almost murdered you in cold blood....but hey....if I offer you this nice pickup truck over here will you please not file the most expensive lawsuit in the history of the LAPD? Here just sign here stating you will forget we almost killed you because we are idiots and I'll give you these keys...as soon as you fill out this form to pay taxes and income for the truck so WE don't have to. I hope those women find the most high profile attorney in the western hemisphere and burn that fucking arrogant police department into the fucking ground.

AND>......whatever happened to the other guy those clowns almost killed in broad daylight?

Comment

geesh! i'm at a loss for words on this one

Comment

Originally posted by ram57ta View Post
              I thought there would be strings attached when I first heard the police chief made the claim that he would take care of her truck. Nevermind the fact that our racist, gun wielding out of control officers put you both in the hospital using blitzkrieg tactics..and dumped OVER 100 rounds of ammo into both of you AND your truck..essentially almost murdered you in cold blood....but hey....if I offer you this nice pickup truck over here will you please not file the most expensive lawsuit in the history of the LAPD? Here just sign here stating you will forget we almost killed you because we are idiots and I'll give you these keys...as soon as you fill out this form to pay taxes and income for the truck so WE don't have to. I hope those women find the most high profile attorney in the western hemisphere and burn that fucking arrogant police department into the fucking ground.

AND>......whatever happened to the other guy those clowns almost killed in broad daylight?

Good question. I have heard nothing.

Comment

Lol typical. I wouldn't have even gone that far with it. I woulda had a lawyer before I went into the ambulance
                Non tapatalk Sig so the butt hurt va-JJs can stop crying about not being able to turn it off.

Comment

What a bunch of fucking losers.
                  Originally posted by racrguy
                  What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
                  Originally posted by racrguy
                  Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

FIXED
                    Originally posted by Downs View Post
                    HAHA. Hey we almost killed you..........here's a replacemet truck, but you have to pay taxes on it, even though we tried to murder you.
                    I think I would tell them to stick the truck up their asses, make fun of them because some of their fellow LEO got killed by Dorner and then go ahead and file the lawsuit for a few million.

Comment

Those women are going to get PAID. Not even the right fucking GENDER. Incompetent assholes.

Comment

Originally posted by talisman View Post
                        Those women are going to get PAID. Not even the right fucking GENDER. Incompetent assholes.
                        One thing's for damn sure: I'd never throw a paper route again.

Comment

Originally posted by talisman View Post
                          Or the same kind of truck.

Originally posted by LAPD
                          It's a truck. BLAST IT!

Comment

I would really like to know how they managed to fire 100+ rounds into this truck and didn't kill anybody???????? I guess it is a blessing since it was mistaken identity, but what if it hadn't been?

Comment

And.... what punishment has happened to the attempted murderers that did it? Arrests, indictments, jail time? Nope, just some paid vacation time while their own buddies "investigate" it. Fucking sickening.

Stevo
                              Originally posted by SSMAN
                              ...Welcome to the land of "Fuck it". No body cares, and if they do, no body cares.

Comment

Working...
                              X