Cruz pushing more buttons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cruz pushing more buttons

Republican Senator Ted Cruz must have ruffled a few feathers Thursday morning when he questioned Sen. Dianne Feinstein’s “assault weapons” ban, because during his closing remarks before the Senate Judiciary Committee, someone could be heard on a hot mic mocking his speech — on two occasions.

“My fourth and final point is that the Constitution, in my opinion, should be the touchstone of everything we do,” said Sen. Cruz. “I would point out that every one of us takes an oath to defend the constitution.”

“Thank you for the lecture,” someone can be heard muttering under their breath [at about the 20 second mark]:

Later, while driving home his point, Sen. Cruz said this:

In my view, the Constitution is particularly important when the Bill of Rights is unpopular. That was the entire purpose of the Bill of Rights! When our rights are unpopular, we don’t need the Constitution.

“I’m tired of these condescending…” seemingly the same person can heard saying, trailing off [at about the 22 second mark]:

As of this writing, it’s unclear who was criticizing Cruz.

However, the voice does sound male and it appears likely it was a senator. Additionally, given a) Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Patrick Leahy’s impatience with Sen. Cruz’ speech (the Democrat senator cuts off Cruz toward the end to remind him that he hasn’t been in the Senate for very long) and b) the fact that it’s not uncommon for the chairman’s microphone to be left on, it’s not unlikely Leahy could be the culprit.

I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

(the Democrat senator cuts off Cruz toward the end to remind him that he hasn’t been in the Senate for very long)
    This is the kind of shit that pisses me off. It doesn't matter how long you have been in the Senate. You are a senator the same as all of the rest. Being a senator should not be thought of as a career! If you have been a senator for 12 years or for 6 months, your voice should hold the same weight...
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776

Comment

The longer Cruz is there, the more I'm liking this guy.

I hope he gives these A-Holes fits for years....

Comment

Feinstein looked like she was going to have a stroke yesterday. I hope she does, and takes Leahy out with her, and throw Durbin in for good measure.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackGT View Post
          This is the kind of shit that pisses me off. It doesn't matter how long you have been in the Senate. You are a senator the same as all of the rest. Being a senator should not be thought of as a career! If you have been a senator for 12 years or for 6 months, your voice should hold the same weight...
          EXACTLY! Elected by the "same" general population to convey our concerns and desires to capitol hill. To help guard us from a tyrant, not to protect us from our selves but from the overrule of pur government.

Not sure if this belongs here, though I find it appropriate. I was listening to a reckless kelly song in the truck, and it was talking about protecting us from ourselves. I strongly ferl it is these career politicians looking to secure their fat cat positions that have helped to turn us from a nation of hero's, warriors, and patriots; into a nation of self entitled pussies who need a warning that their coffee is too hot. That they must tell us to wear our safety belts for fear of punishment or death. To tell me I can't have an AR15 type rifle. No I don't hunt with it. Have you ever shot one? If it doesn't get your adrenaline flowing and make your sticker wanna peck out a little, then you need your pulse checked

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
          Originally posted by Leah
          Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

I like Rand Paul's comments about the old members of the GOP having moss grow on them. He didn't say John McCain but he might as well have been holding his photo up.

It's great to have a senator that actually does something. I thought we had some decent representatives in Cornyn and Hutchison but holy cow, Cruz is actually making a difference. I guess I got used to the old guard and forgot that congress can actually do something if someone makes them.

Hopefully the rest of the country will see it and start running off these coots that put us where we are today. I do finally see why the NRA supports Harry Reid though, his silence during this whole debate is deafening.

Comment

Originally posted by BP View Post
              I do finally see why the NRA supports Harry Reid though, his silence during this whole debate is deafening.
              That's one thing I don't like about GOA. They seem to be as much anti-Democrat/pro-Republican as they are pro-gun.
              Originally posted by Broncojohnny
              HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

Cruz is doing something that is pissing off both sides. HE's not deferring to them, he's not backing down. He's challenging everyone
                I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
                  Cruz is doing something that is pissing off both sides. HE's not deferring to them, he's not backing down. He's challenging everyone
                  I heard Cruz do an interview before he was actually sworn in, and he alluded to this. He said that's why he was elected, and if he he only serves one term, so be it, but he was not going to alter his stances.

Comment

Originally posted by Nash B. View Post
                    That's one thing I don't like about GOA. They seem to be as much anti-Democrat/pro-Republican as they are pro-gun.
                    The NRA got a lot of flack when they backed Reid but explained their reasoning pretty well. Right now I'm glad they did it. I don't think their backing would have pushed Sharron Angle over the edge. While having her in office would be great, gaining one more seat isn't nearly as helpful as having the majority leader sit and watch quietly while the rest of his party is trying to destroy our bill of rights.

Comment

Originally posted by Vertnut View Post
                      I heard Cruz do an interview before he was actually sworn in, and he alluded to this. He said that's why he was elected, and if he he only serves one term, so be it, but he was not going to alter his stances.
                      As it should be. These people are elected to do what needs to be done for our country. Not to do whatever it takes to get re-elected.

Comment

All I know is I fucking like this guy. Couldn't have asked for a better senator. First time I've ever sent a "good job" e-mail. I encourage you guys to do it also.
                        "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                        "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
                          All I know is I fucking like this guy. Couldn't have asked for a better senator. First time I've ever sent a "good job" e-mail. I encourage you guys to do it also.
                          I've sent him a few emails myself. This guy is on track. I like how he has brought up that protecting the 2nd is just about guns, its about not debating/negoiting away the amendments, period. I've made that arguement myself, and tried to explain that once you allow someone to take away from one, they will take away from the others.

-Eric

Comment

Could someone post a quick link to his email to let us lazy bastards send in support as well?

Comment

Originally posted by Couver View Post
                              Could someone post a quick link to his email to let us lazy bastards send in support as well?
                              "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                              "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Working...
                              X