Colorado’s magazine-limit bill further reaching than opponents imagined

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colorado’s magazine-limit bill further reaching than opponents imagined

Colorado Democratic Rep. Rhonda Fields, whose bill to ban ammunition magazines that hold more than 15 rounds ignited an ongoing firestorm of protest and which could cost the state jobs if a manufacturer of such equipment makes good on its promise to move to another state, didn’t realize that her bill would outlaw practically every magazine currently for sale in the state.

That’s because the bill specifies that magazines that can be “readily converted” to hold more than 15 bullets will also be outlawed.

Practically every magazine on the market can be easily converted with readily available extenders, as demonstrated in a video posted by John Caldera, the president of the libertarian Independence Institute.

Caldera demonstrates the ease with which the standard 15-round magazine for his Glock 19 pistol can be converted to hold 17 rounds by removing the base plate and installing the extender. Practically all magazines have removable base plates so that they can be cleaned.

Fields told 9News that she had no idea her bill would effectively ban nearly all magazines with removable base plates for which extenders are made.

“I’m just hearing about that now,” she told the news station. “Our focus was on the number of bullets you can put in a magazine.”

She said still supports the bill as drafted.

“I’m not envisioning changing that because of a little plate that you can pull out,” she said. “I’m hoping that people will just comply with the law.”

Even if she wanted to change the bill — for example, by specifying that magazines that have been converted are illegal, rather than the broader category of those that can be — it’s too late.

The bill has already passed the state legislature and awaits Gov. John Hickenlooper’s signature.

If the bill becomes law, the ban will go into effect July 1. People who own such magazines by the deadline can keep them, but they cannot sell or transfer them to others, including to family members.

Follow Greg on Twitter

I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
    Colorado Democratic Rep. Rhonda Fields, whose bill to ban ammunition magazines that hold more than 15 rounds ignited an ongoing firestorm of protest and which could cost the state jobs if a manufacturer of such equipment makes good on its promise to move to another state, didn’t realize that her bill would outlaw practically every magazine currently for sale in the state.

That’s because the bill specifies that magazines that can be “readily converted” to hold more than 15 bullets will also be outlawed.

Practically every magazine on the market can be easily converted with readily available extenders, as demonstrated in a video posted by John Caldera, the president of the libertarian Independence Institute.

Caldera demonstrates the ease with which the standard 15-round magazine for his Glock 19 pistol can be converted to hold 17 rounds by removing the base plate and installing the extender. Practically all magazines have removable base plates so that they can be cleaned.

Fields told 9News that she had no idea her bill would effectively ban nearly all magazines with removable base plates for which extenders are made.

“I’m just hearing about that now,” she told the news station. “Our focus was on the number of bullets you can put in a magazine.”

She said still supports the bill as drafted.

“I’m not envisioning changing that because of a little plate that you can pull out,” she said. “I’m hoping that people will just comply with the law.”

Even if she wanted to change the bill — for example, by specifying that magazines that have been converted are illegal, rather than the broader category of those that can be — it’s too late.

The bill has already passed the state legislature and awaits Gov. John Hickenlooper’s signature.

If the bill becomes law, the ban will go into effect July 1. People who own such magazines by the deadline can keep them, but they cannot sell or transfer them to others, including to family members.

Follow Greg on Twitter

http://dailycaller.com/2013/03/15/co...ents-imagined/
    Hope that goes well for you, just like hoping people don't rape women and children, hoping people don't murder, and hoping people don't do illegal drugs.
    I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

Waiting for this to hit the courts. They just banned all magazines in the state, effectively outlawing all weapons that take them

Comment

Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
        Waiting for this to hit the courts. They just banned all magazines in the state, effectively outlawing all weapons that take them
        No, they banned the manufacture and transfer. It's still legal to own them as long as you owned them at the time the ban went into effect.
        Originally posted by Broncojohnny
        HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

Originally posted by LANTIRN View Post
          Hope that goes well for you, just like hoping people don't rape women and children, hoping people don't murder, and hoping people don't do illegal drugs.
          This. They can't seem to grasp that concept.

Originally posted by Nash B. View Post
          No, they banned the manufacture and transfer. It's still legal to own them as long as you owned them at the time the ban went into effect.
          Good luck with that, too. How many magazines have date codes?
          "Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Comment

Originally posted by GhostTX View Post
            Good luck with that, too. How many magazines have date codes?
            Or how are they going to manage a magazine registry? I've never seen serial numbers on magazines. What would stop someone from claiming 20 of each for any gun they ever intend to own, of every prohibited size, from every manufacturer?
            Originally posted by Broncojohnny
            HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

Washington State already discussed that. Door to door searches and confiscation

Comment

One could modify a bottom feed shotgun to accept a magazine of potentially more than 15 rounds, right? I'm not 100% sure so that's why I'm asking. What about tube extenders? Can you do like on pistols and add more to increase the capacity?

If you can do both of the above, wouldn't the law also outlaw all shotguns accept for single shot ones because it can be modified to hold more than 15 rounds?

Would this law make tube fed .22 rifles illegal as well because they hold more than 15 rounds?
                Annoying people, one post at a time!

Comment

The door to door searches mentioned above from another state would end in alot of bloodshed. I am not saying they wouldnt try it, but the county Sheriffs would have to be fucking stupid to think about it.

On another note already mentioned, mags are not serialized and i do not remember seeing any date stamped, so this legislation is imopssible to enforce, especially considering new mexico to the south has no restrictions so a hi cap mag is as simple as driving to alberquerque.
                  I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

The Democrats will have that state turned into California in the next ten years. Then it's coming here.
                    How do we forget ourselves? How do we forget our minds?

Comment

How likely is it for the governor to sign the bill?

Comment

Originally posted by Buzzo View Post
                        How likely is it for the governor to sign the bill?
                        He has stated he will.

Comment

I love it! People making laws about things they know nothing about

Comment

Originally posted by BMCSean View Post
                            I love it! People making laws about things they know nothing about
                            Obamacare ring a bell, they voted that crap in without ever having read the damn thing. Definitely the insane running the asylum.
                            1965 Ford Falcon Pro-Touring Project
                            TCI F/R Suspension, 3V-4.6 & TR3560, LT III Wheels

sigpic
                            Work In Progress

Comment

Originally posted by lowfast View Post
                              Obamacare ring a bell, they voted that crap in without ever having read the damn thing. Definitely the insane running the asylum.
                              I would also like to direct your attention to the Patriot Act.
                              ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Working...
                              X