Last real American camp getting shut down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last real American camp getting shut down

A man who has dedicated nearly 30 years to building and living off of his 500-acre farm is facing having his entire way of life shut down by the state government.

Eustace Conway, 51, who has been called ‘The Last Great American Man’ for his rustic way of living, could lose his camp in the Appalachian Mountains, his home for the past three decades.

The Watauga County Planning Department in North Carolina has found several health and sanitary violations in his encampment and has threatened to condemn the buildings.

Conway, who was given the title of the ‘last great American man’ by ‘Eat, Pray, Love’ author Elizabeth Gilbert in her 2002 biography, is fighting the department over their violations.
    k
    According to the Wall Street Journal, several officials showed up to his Turtle Island Preserve home and found that his outhouses, kitchens, and even the wood he’s used to build several structures across the properties aren’t up to snuff.

Their findings were summarized in a 78-page report.

Now the planning department is demanding that Conway either tear down his structures or rebuild them in-line with public housing codes.

The naturalist is outraged.

‘The whole foundation of the American experience is based on the experience of small farms,’ he told WSOC TV. ‘This is a small farm.’

While he said he doesn’t have ‘a perfect record,’ he added that America’s Founding Fathers did not have to live up to scrupulous building codes.

He also said that the annual summer camps he runs – which teach outdoor skills to children each year – are at risk of ending.

One of the department’s issues was that none of Conway’s lumber was properly marked. But all of his wood is made at his personal sawmill.

‘Codes don’t apply to what we’re doing,’ he told the Wall Street Journal.

Following the publication of the piece in last week’s Journal, the Building Code Council of North Carolina announced they were thinking of amending the codes for primitive camps.

However, the ruling could take several weeks, putting Conway’s summer camp business in jeopardy.

I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

This is why you should kill anyone from the government when they show up on your property.

Got a friend down by Austin who drilled a water well on his own property and the county in now trying to install a water meter on it. He has caught them out on his property at 2 in the morning screwing with his well equipment.
    Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

The last vestiges of what it means to be an "American" (self-reliance\personal responsibility) will soon be entirely eradicated by the current culture.

Gotta LMAO when the code enforcers feel like they "know better" than a dude who provides his own lumber from his own fucking sawmill.

Comment

The government is just looking out for our best interests.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny View Post
          The government is just looking out for our best interests.
          And this is why self reliance has to die. Assimilation can't fully happen until we behave, well, and lack the means to do it on our own.

Comment

Originally posted by svo855 View Post
            This is why you should kill anyone from the government when they show up on your property.

Got a friend down by Austin who drilled a water well on his own property and the county in now trying to install a water meter on it. He has caught them out on his property at 2 in the morning screwing with his well equipment.
            They should be shot for trespassing.
            "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

This was the guy that was on Mountain Men on History channel. Him and another guy rode into town on horse back to the county courthouse, I think he had unpaid taxes. Seems like he was trying to sell firewood to pay off his debt.

Comment

The three biggest lies:

"Your car will be ready Tuesday."

"I won't cum in your mouth."

"I'm from the government and I'm here to help you."

Comment

This is why the government really doesn't want us to switch to solar or wind. Could you imagine the amount of power and money they lose if we produce our own energy? If you plug in your vehicle at your house, running off your solar panels?
                  I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
                    This is why the government really doesn't want us to switch to solar or wind. Could you imagine the amount of power and money they lose if we produce our own energy? If you plug in your vehicle at your house, running off your solar panels?
                    They'll just find a way to tax it...

--------------------------------------

Let me tell you how it will be
                    There's one for you, nineteen for me
                    'Cause I'm the taxman, yeah, I'm the taxman

Should five per cent appear too small
                    Be thankful I don't take it all
                    'Cause I'm the taxman, yeah I'm the taxman

If you drive a car, I'll tax the street,
                    If you try to sit, I'll tax your seat.
                    If you get too cold I'll tax the heat,
                    If you take a walk, I'll tax your feet.