FEMA to Staten Island woman: Give our money back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FEMA to Staten Island woman: Give our money back

STATEN ISLAND, N.Y. -- The $10,000 Midland Beach homeowner Kathleen Palazzolla received in December to repair the ground-level floor of her four-story home didn't cover all of her expenses after Sandy roared through -- dumping 5 feet of water in her house and 12 feet out front.

But it sure helped.

"The money left my hands in three minutes," Ms. Palazzolla said the other day.

Between putting up new drywall, replacing the floor, purchasing and installing a sliding glass door that led from the ground-floor family room to her back yard and gutting and restoring the half-bathroom, Ms. Palazzolla still had to shell out thousands more for incidentals as well as furniture.

So imagine her shock when she received the phone call from a FEMA "auditor" in February -- which had her in tears at her desk at work -- telling her an "error" had been made and she had to return between $7,000-$8,000. Pronto.

For starters, she doesn't have it to give back.

Secondly, she doesn't understand why.

Ms. Palazzolla said she was told by FEMA that the independent adjuster for her insurance company, Travelers Insurance, who did the post-Sandy walk-through of her property, inspecting her losses and creating the original claim report, had made an "error."

The alleged error: Reporting that the destroyed space was a living area because, on second thought, FEMA now considered the space a basement and not a living area.

FEMA doesn't pay to repair destroyed basements, only living space.

This despite the fact that Ms. Palazzolla had used the ground-level floor of her home on Jefferson Avenue, where she has lived for 16 years, as a family room, complete with a TV, stereo and furniture. Not as a basement storage area. She also accessed her back yard through the room's sliding glass door.

And she had the "before" Sandy photos to prove it.

This as the trauma of her ordeal is still fresh: A mile from the beach in Zone A, Ms. Palazzolla hadn't evacuated because of the looting that occurred during Hurricane Irene. The water that destroyed her ground floor, she added, hadn't come from the beach, but had snaked around from flooded Hylan Boulevard.

2insure18.jpg Ms. Palazzolla shows the photos taken of the damage to her home caused by Hurricane Sandy. After receiving a $10,000 check, she is being told she has to return the money. Staten Island Advance/Hilton Flores

"I just want to move on with my life," she said.

But with the threat of having to pay back thousands, she can't, she can't.

Her Travelers agent is on her side.

"It's been extremely frustrating, the way FEMA and Travelers has handled this," her insurance broker, Tom Aloia of Aloia McKinnon Insurance, Brooklyn, told the Advance. "The flood program is a federally funded program, dictated by FEMA, which sets the rates. Travelers is a vendor for the government. I have been trying to be an advocate for her. But FEMA has been totally unresponsive. They don't even answer the e-mails I've sent. It makes no sense. It is illogical. In my 30 years in this business, I have never seen anything like it."

Indeed, in an e-mail to FEMA to plead Ms. Palazzolla's case, Aloia wrote: "I'm at a total loss to explain what is being accomplished by asking a victim to return money to Travelers."

Ms. Palazzolla contacted Sen. Charles Schumer's office to see if he could weigh in on her behalf.

"Far too many flood insurance operators hide behind technicalities and make the recovery process more difficult for far too many Sandy victims," Schumer (D-N.Y.) said in a statement to the Advance. "I have urged FEMA to change their policies in this regard, and will work to specifically help Ms. Palazzolla get through this bureaucratic nightmare."

FEMA spokeswoman Denise Everheart told the Advance that Ms. Palazzolla's situation is "under review."

However, Ms. Everheart said if Ms. Palazzolla received a payout, it would have been accompanied by a statement she would have been obligated to sign saying, in part, "If it is determined your claim is not a valid claim under your flood policy, you agree to reimburse 'XYZ' insurance company the 'dollar amount' advanced to you."

Ms. Palazzolla said she did not receive such a statement with the $10,000 check.

Meanwhile, Ms. Palazzolla, whose family moved to Midland Beach in 1968, said she does have one thing on her side if she has to go the legal route to fight back: She's a law secretary with a Manhattan law firm.
    ---

Government agency tells Midland Beach homeowner they made a mistake on the $10,000 check they cut her and she needs to return $7,000-$8,000, money she already spent to rebuild
    I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Fuck New Yorkers that aren't getting covered. They looked down on the gulf coast after Katrina and Rita, so they're just getting their due, now.
    ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Originally posted by YALE View Post
      Fuck New Yorkers that aren't getting covered. They looked down on the gulf coast after Katrina and Rita, so they're just getting their due, now.
      I tend to agree with this.

Comment

This is one thing I never understood. Why does FEMA cover the insurance part as opposed to it being a home insurance thing like everything else?

In my opinion, Katrina, Sandy...whatever - if flooded it sounds like FEMA is not doing a very good job financially.

I know my wife went through a flood 20 years ago in the Houston area (released a dam...etc...etc) and FEMA/Aid/Insurance was a bitch back then for them.
        Originally posted by MR EDD
        U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Originally posted by YALE View Post
          My thoughts exactly.

Comment

Four story home, I feel her pain...

Comment

Originally posted by big_tiger View Post
              Four story home, I feel her pain...
              first world problems.........

Comment

Fuck FEMA right in it's bureaucrat-clogged ass. Three years ago, they did a "reassessment" of the neighborhood that my Mother's house is in, and determined it to be in a "major flood risk zone". They required her deed holder (she has a reverse mortgage) to require her to purchase a flood insurance policy that ended up costing $1400/yr or have the house seized by the gubment. Well, she is on a small and fixed income, and had to really scrape to pay it. Three months later, FEMA changed their minds and basically said nevermind. Fuckers.
                "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

Originally posted by helosailor View Post
                  Fuck FEMA right in it's bureaucrat-clogged ass. Three years ago, they did a "reassessment" of the neighborhood that my Mother's house is in, and determined it to be in a "major flood risk zone". They required her deed holder (she has a reverse mortgage) to require her to purchase a flood insurance policy that ended up costing $1400/yr or have the house seized by the gubment. Well, she is on a small and fixed income, and had to really scrape to pay it. Three months later, FEMA changed their minds and basically said nevermind. Fuckers.
                  This is my issue as well. Rich/poor, NYC, NOLA...where ever - FEMA seems f'ed up.
                  Originally posted by MR EDD
                  U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Working...
                  X