No announcement yet.

Can't say "illegal", "undocumented"...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't say "illegal", "undocumented"...

The Associated Press announced today that it will no longer use the term "illegal immigrant" to describe people who are living in the country illegally. "The Stylebook no longer sanctions the term 'illegal immigrant' or the use of 'illegal' to describe a person," AP Executive Editor Kathleen Carroll wrote. "Instead, it tells users that 'illegal' [...]

The Associated Press announced today that it will no longer use the term "illegal immigrant" to describe people who are living in the country illegally.

"The Stylebook no longer sanctions the term 'illegal immigrant' or the use of 'illegal' to describe a person," AP Executive Editor Kathleen Carroll wrote. "Instead, it tells users that 'illegal' should describe only an action, such as living in or immigrating to a country illegally."

The change comes after a campaign from immigrant activists, led by journalist Jose Antonio Vargas, for news organizations and politicians to stop using "illegal" to describe immigrants. They argue the term gives the impression that immigrants have broken criminal law, when some immigration infractions—including overstaying a visa—are only civil violations.

Advocates prefer the term "undocumented," but the AP says it will not use that word because it is imprecise. ("A person may have plenty of documents, just not the ones required for legal residence," Carroll wrote.)

The change comes as a major immigration reform bill, which could legalize millions of immigrants living in the U.S., is expected to be unveiled by a bipartisan group of senators.

The AP Stylebook is widely used by most news organizations in the U.S. and is considered the industry's foremost guide for style and word usage. Yahoo News generally follows the AP Stylebook

Last edited by lowthreeohz; 04-02-2013, 04:46 PM.

Civil violations are breaking the law. Civil laws. Fucking illegal immigrant asshole bastard undocumented douche bag cock suckers
    I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

so we cant call illegals, illegals? kiss m y fucking hairy white Texas ass you politically correct diseased cocksucking cum guzzling road whores.

How about instead we just start to call them "targets of oppurtunity"?
      May God give us strength and courage in the time of our darkest hours.
      Semper Fi

Comment

Unsecured ammunition backstop.
        I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

I will continue to use "illegal immigrant" myself.

Comment

How about criminal aliens?

Lets call them what they are...

Comment

Let me just throw something out there for everyone to think about...

Say that Obama and the Dems gets their way with this amnesty and path to citizenship bull crap. That means that an "undocumented" person can go and file for a resident alien card (not citizenshi pyet), and a social security card to get them documented and paying into our tax system.

What stops someone who is a current US citizen or a legal immigrant or even one of these undocumented people from getting a complete new identification? Take for instance, a white guy from Texas that is claiming to be an "undocumented" person from Canada. Who is to say he is not? He's undocumented. He could just leave his SS and TX ID home one day and go in to tell them his Canada story. Now you have a guy with two completely different IDs. Talk about a tool to lead a criminal life.

Comment

Sounds like a badass movie!

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
                  Sounds like a badass movie!
                  The Bourne Immigrant

Comment

Then ill just go back to calling them wetbacks.

Comment

wow this is pathetic, fuck them! idgaf if youre mexican, cuban, canadian, middle eastern, you come to my country, speak our language! we dont owe you shit, if anything you owe us for the opportunity. here we are now, they get all the free shit, and we get screwed in the ass. i say send every single fucker back, build big ass walls and arm the shit out of the guards. no questions asked, shoot at will.

Comment

I love this board.
                        Damn taco jockeys
                        03 cobra

Comment

Originally posted by Denny View Post
                          Let me just throw something out there for everyone to think about...

Say that Obama and the Dems gets their way with this amnesty and path to citizenship bull crap. That means that an "undocumented" person can go and file for a resident alien card (not citizenshi pyet), and a social security card to get them documented and paying into our tax system.

What stops someone who is a current US citizen or a legal immigrant or even one of these undocumented people from getting a complete new identification? Take for instance, a white guy from Texas that is claiming to be an "undocumented" person from Canada. Who is to say he is not? He's undocumented. He could just leave his SS and TX ID home one day and go in to tell them his Canada story. Now you have a guy with two completely different IDs. Talk about a tool to lead a criminal life.
                          Sounds like a loophole to a better credit profile. Or to start anew.

Comment

I still hate yankees 10,000,000 times more than I will ever hate on some border jumpers. After returning from New England, I went to the Garland day labor center and started randomly hugging a bunch of taco vendors. Hell, I'll even speak Spanish if it keeps the Yankees out.

The truth is, most illegals are better people than the majority of "citizens" north of the Mason-Dixon.

Comment

Thanks for the idea Denny.

Comment

Working...
                              X