N.y. Man arrested for gun violation in ny — his offense? Two extra bullets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• N.y. Man arrested for gun violation in ny — his offense? Two extra bullets

Gregory Dean, Jr. was pulled over in New Lebanon, N.Y., Sunday for a light on his license plate being burnt out. But what began as a simple traffic stop ended up with Dean being arrested over two bullets in his registered firearm, which put him in violation of the state’s new law, the Journal News reported.

Last month, a provision in New York’s strict gun control laws went into effect, making it illegal to have more than seven rounds in a magazine unless said firearm was being used at a range or in a competition.

The state troopers saw a .40-caliber pistol on Dean’s passenger side when they approached his window. Although it was lawfully possessed by Dean, they discovered nine bullets within the magazine, putting him two bullets over the seven-bullet max set by the Secure Ammunition and Firearms Enforcement Act.

Dean was arrested for this violation and charged with unlawful possession for the number of bullets in the ammunition feeding device and third-degree aggravated unlicensed operation, according to the Journal News. Both are misdemeanor charges that went along with infractions he received regarding the light outage on his vehicle as well.

Dean was released without bail and has a court date for later this month.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013...omment-5354460
    I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

This guy could take it to the Supreme Court and win, right? Or does Federal law trump state law, on everything but gun laws?
    Originally posted by BradM
    But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
    Originally posted by Leah
    In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
      This guy could take it to the Supreme Court and win, right? Or does Federal law trump state law, on everything but gun laws?
      Thats a good question...though common sense tells me he would win...common sense also tells me that this government we have now days is real quick to pick and chose fights that help them...not always the people
      Originally posted by Sean88gt
      You can take white off the list. White on anything is the best, including vehicles, women, and the Presidency.
      Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder
      You can not imagine how difficult it is to hold a half gallon of moo juice and polish the one-eyed gopher when your doin' seventy-five in an eighteen-wheeler.

Comment

And so it begins.

Comment

Right now the Supreme Court would simply refuse to hear the case.

Comment

Originally posted by DallasSleeper View Post
            Right now the Supreme Court would simply refuse to hear the case.
            They don't have to refuse anything, they pick which cases they want to hear. In this case everyone in NY should have known the law, especially someone licensed to carry. I don't agree with the law but then again I don't live in New York so it doesn't matter.

He should be glad he wasn't in NYC. They'd fine him for illegally transporting hazardous materials (assuming his ammo has some lead in it) on top of whatever weapons charges he's facing.

Comment

Unfortunately, it's the law. If he doesn't like it, he can pack his shit and move. Unfortunately, that's the law in the state he chooses to live in. Not trying to be harsh, but as a legal firearm possessor, he should know and follow the law.

Comment

Originally posted by BP View Post
                They don't have to refuse anything, they pick which cases they want to hear.
                That is what I meant by saying refuse.

Comment

Right, I was just pointing out that the SCOTUS picks and chooses. There isn't an appeal process that guarantees you'll get all the way to the supreme court.

Comment

They only hear a small percentage of the cases that are sent up there

Comment

Working...
                    X