Sb 346

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sb 346

The bill in question is SB 346 and it is currently sitting on Governor Rick Perry’s desk. It is imperative that people call Perry immediately (at 512-463-2000) and ask him to VETO this dangerous bill.

The bill is introduced by Sen. Kel Seliger in the Senate and Rep. Charlie Geren in the House. SB 346 could require Gun Owners of America — and other gun groups that you support — to disclose their donors’ names.

This bill would provide, as the Wall Street Journal observed, “a new opportunity for advocacy groups to intimidate businesses and others from participating in elections.”

Please be sure that GOA will NEVER disclose its members’ names to any governmental organization. But realize that taking this stand could cost us dearly in the courts — and even result in the demise of this organization.

Again, that is why gun owners must call Rick Perry right away (at 512-463-2000) and demand that he veto the bill!

Apparently, many Senators didn’t realize what was really in the bill when it passed in the Senate. According to the Wall Street Journal — in its article entitled “Texas Targets Conservatives” — several Senators are now having “Monday morning” regrets:

“Mr. Seliger's bill passed the Senate unanimously in April. But when Republicans realized what they'd voted for, two-thirds of the chamber voted to recall the bill from the House for a revote. That courtesy is routinely extended within the Texas legislature, but this time Mr. Geren [the House sponsor] refused. To force the bill directly to the Governor's desk, he moved the bill through the House unamended and it passed 94-51 with 51 Republicans opposed.”

Among other things, the sponsors of this legislation — Seliger and Geren — want to prevent fraudulent candidate voter guides from being published.

Says Senator Seliger: “Whereas, differing views and interpretations are a constitutional right of free speech, fraudulent manipulation of voting records is shameful and needs to be condemned.”

But as the Wall Street Journal noted, what Sen. Seliger is saying is that “politicians get to decide what can or can't be said about their voting records. This is the Lee Kuan Yew school of free political speech, but Austin isn't Singapore.”

Courtesy of the GOA
    I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

I just made the call, and they DO answer the phone and they ARE keeping a tally on who favors/does not favor the bill. She was very courteous and even told me there has been a huge response and a large majority are wanting the Governor to veto it.

Comment

Same here, she said they have had a lot of calls against it and she had kind of an evil laugh. I called and spoke to her within 10 seconds, it was painless

Comment

Regardless of what you may think of RP, his office IS responsive to our citizens. I wonder if all states have similar governors?

Comment

She thanked me for my call and told me the same
          I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

Called em. 20 seconds from ring to hanging up.

Comment

Damn... office closed at 5, I'll call in the morning.
              Originally posted by stevo
              Not a good idea to go Tim 'The Toolman' Taylor on the power phallus.

Stevo

Comment

Gov. Perry Vetos Anti-gun Bill Aimed
                at Gleaning GOA Donors' Names
                And gun owners to rally in defense of the Second Amendment

Great news! Last week, we asked you to urge the governor to veto SB 346, a bill that could require Gun Owners of America - and other gun groups that you support - to disclose their donors’ names.

Well, Governor Rick Perry listened to you and has vetoed this dangerous bill!

“At a time when our federal government is assaulting the rights of Americans by using the tools of government to squelch dissent,” Gov. Perry said, “it is unconscionable to expose more Texans to the risk of such harassment, regardless of political, organizational or party affiliation.

“I therefore veto SB 346,” Perry said.

Please make sure that you thank Gov. Perry at 512-463-2000 for taking a stand for freedom!
                Originally posted by Broncojohnny
                HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

Apparently, many Senators didn’t realize what was really in the bill when it passed in the Senate. According to the Wall Street Journal — in its article entitled “Texas Targets Conservatives” — several Senators are now having “Monday morning” regrets:

WTF kind of excuse is that? Seriously. Thank God Gov. Perry had the heads up on this.

Comment

I was wondering what was the real problem with this bill. At first I thought it would make political donors known. Frankly I don't have a problem with that. There needs to be more transparency for that.

However this bill considers membership dues as a donation. So basically a group like the NRA would have to disclose its entire membership list. Now that is a problem.

(c) A person or group of persons accepts political
                    contributions if its members or donors make a payment, including
                    dues, to the person or group of persons and, at the time of making
                    the payments, the members or donors have reason to know that their
                    payments may be used to make political contributions or political
                    expenditures or may be commingled with other funds used to make
                    political contributions or political expenditures.

Comment

Called right now, bill was vetoed yesterday.
                      First hand witness at the failure of public healthcare.

Comment

Way to stay on top of the issue.
                        Originally posted by Broncojohnny
                        HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

Working...
                        X