Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bill to Buy American products in Texas? Perry says veto!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bill to Buy American products in Texas? Perry says veto!

http://www.forwardprogressives.com/r...american-bill/

Rare is it that you get true bipartisan support on anything political these days, but that’s exactly what happened a few days ago when the Texas Senate and House sent the “Buy American” bill to Governor Rick Perry’s desk.

Passing the Senate by a vote of 23-7 and the House 145-0, the Texas legislature overwhelmingly passed a bill meant to give preference to American-made goods for purchase by the State of Texas when they are of equal cost and quality to foreign-made products.

In other words, if an American-made product and foreign-made product are of equal quality and cost, when the state is purchasing a good or service, the state would always give preference to the American-made product or service.

96% of Texas legislators supported the “Buy American” bill…

And Rick Perry vetoed it.

Now tell me there’s not something very wrong when a bill is supported by 96% of a state’s legislators, yet gets vetoed by the governor.

Then again, this has nothing to do with buying American, supporting American-made products and creating American jobs. The only thing Rick Perry cares about is his ability to give contracts to his big corporate buddies who use cheap international labor and outsource American jobs.

This also follows his recent veto of a GOP-backed disclosure bill, which would have forced social welfare groups that spend more than $25,000 a year on political expenses to disclose contributions that exceed $1,000.

Again, the disclosure bill was a Republican sponsored and supported bill.

And I won’t even get into his continued stance on denying millions of Texans living in poverty health care by avoiding provisions in the Affordable Care Act. That’s a subject for another day.

But this is exactly what Republicans asked for, and it proudly displays the sheep-like voting by many conservatives.

You really can’t be shocked by his behavior. After all, what did conservatives expect? This is a man who publicly slammed the 2009 stimulus bill, while privately using money from that very same stimulus to balance his state’s budget.

A balanced budget which was his main talking point during his 2010 re-election campaign, and during his failed 2012 presidential run.

Oh, and a 2010 re-election bid where he refused to talk to any Texas media outlets or debate his opponent, former Houston mayor Bill White.

I don’t care which side of the political spectrum you’re on — anyone who votes for a politician (especially an incumbent) who refuses to publicly debate a challenger should be ashamed of themselves.

Rick Perry epitomizes the truest form of the shady, self-serving, unethical politician.

As a Texan I’m embarrassed this man represents my state.

But the ones who should really be embarrassed are those who voted for him.
    Can't beat them, Join their NEW message board !!

Originally posted by Rick Perry's office
    House Bill 535 requires state agencies, when purchasing goods, to give preference to goods "manufactured" in Texas. Current law already requires state agencies to give preference to goods produced and grown in Texas. While I support and encourage our agencies to buy goods from Texas businesses, this bill simply does not change current law.
    hmm

Comment

lol tree'd

Gov. Rick Perry vetoed House Bill 535 after it was approved unanimously by the Texas House.

Originally posted by Rick Perry
      "House Bill 535 requires state agencies, when purchasing goods, to give preference to goods "manufactured" in Texas. Current law already requires state agencies to give preference to goods produced and grown in Texas. While I support and encourage our agencies to buy goods from Texas businesses, this bill simply does not change current law."
      And since the AFL-CIO is up in arms about it.... and googling your story brings up articles from Huffington Post, Austin Business Journal, and your own source forwardprogressives.com, I'm guessing he is sidestepping some political maneuvering by Texas Democrats. This is only MY assumption.

Here's the language of the bill:

HB535 by Davis, Yvonne (Relating to the preference given by state agencies to goods offered by bidders in this state or manufactured, produced, or grown in this state or in the United States.), As Passed 2nd House

No significant fiscal implication to the State is anticipated.

The bill would amend the Government Code, Section 2155 to require the Comptroller of Public Accounts (CPA) and all other state agencies making purchases to give preference to goods manufactured in this state under certain criteria.

The change in law made by the bill applies only to a contract for goods that is entered into on or after the effective date of the bill. The bill takes effect September 1, 2013.

The CPA, the Department of Information Resources, the Texas Department of Transportation, and the Texas Department of Criminal Justice indicate that any costs associated with the bill could be absorbed within each agency's existing resources.

What is meant by the part I bolded?
      When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

I'm not so sure that Gov. GoodHair did anything wrong here. Our State's legislation gives preference to Texas business already. The United States government is now requesting us to give them preference over our own businesses. Call me selfish, but I don't like that.

There is no need to change our laws, especially when it is only "under certain criteria" that has not been specified.

Comment

ahhh....i saw it on reddit and was too lazy to crosscheck with other sources. I almost feel like i work in news media!
          Can't beat them, Join their NEW message board !!

Comment

It terrifies me to know how many of these kind of bills get passed with what amounts to 'blank check' language like that.

In the words of the Great Pelosi, "We have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it."
            When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

Looks like Perry is doing his job. Good on him
              I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
                Looks like Perry is doing his job. Good on him
                yep. the bill only referenced "of equal quality and price"....which doesn't save or do shit. We already know the foreign shit is cheaper so they still choose it. A better bill would be if the Texas product is within 15% of the foreign product, we must choose the TX product even at a higher cost. THAT creates TX jobs.

Sounds like the legislature was just ramming shit through. Good Hair did his job stopping useless regulations that do nothing to prevent shipping our cash to places not in TX.

Comment

Originally posted by aggie97 View Post
                  yep. the bill only referenced "of equal quality and price"....which doesn't save or do shit. We already know the foreign shit is cheaper so they still choose it. A better bill would be if the Texas product is within 15% of the foreign product, we must choose the TX product even at a higher cost. THAT creates TX jobs.

Sounds like the legislature was just ramming shit through. Good Hair did his job stopping useless regulations that do nothing to prevent shipping our cash to places not in TX.
                  This...
                  Originally posted by stevo
                  Not a good idea to go Tim 'The Toolman' Taylor on the power phallus.

Stevo

Comment

free market...

Comment

Originally posted by jw33 View Post
                      free market...
                      X2

Comment

We live in a country with a shitty economy. We also live in a state with a pretty good economy. Why change what works?
                        "Any dog under 50lbs is a cat and cats are pointless." - Ron Swanson

Comment

If I could only multi-quote in tapatalk...

Free Market was the greatest tool for growth while people were still concerned about putting quality products in their household.

Currently, our Great State seems to be one of the last bastions of this dream. However, the cost of living has risen to a point of forcing a large group of people to look at cheaper alternatives.

There are other States that follow a similar outlook, but we are all dwindling.

Comment

Working...
                          X