Seattle officials call for ban on 'potentially offensive' language

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seattle officials call for ban on 'potentially offensive' language

I've been thinking for awhile that the northwest is getting the same disease as CA and NY. This confirms it for me. Those people are welcome to stay the hell out of Texas.

Government workers in the city of Seattle have been advised that the terms "citizen" and "brown bag" are potentially offensive and may no longer be used in official documents and discussions.

KOMO-TV reports that the city's Office of Civil Rights instructed city workers in a recent internal memo to avoid using the words because some may find them offensive.

"Luckily, we've got options."

- Elliott Bronstein, Seattle's Office for Civil Rights

"Luckily, we've got options," Elliott Bronstein of the Office for Civil Rights wrote in the memo obtained by the station. "For 'citizens,' how about 'residents?'"

In an interview with Seattle's KIRO Radio, Bronstein said the term "brown bag" has been used historically as a way to judge skin color.

"For a lot of particularly African-American community members, the phrase brown bag does bring up associations with the past when a brown bag was actually used, I understand, to determine if people's skin color was light enough to allow admission to an event or to come into a party that was being held in a private home," Bronstein said.

According to the memo, city employees should use the terms "lunch-and-learn" or "sack lunch" instead of "brown bag."

Bronstein told KIRO Radio the word "citizen" should be avoided because many people who live in Seattle are residents, not citizens.

"They are legal residents of the United States and they are residents of Seattle. They pay taxes and if we use a term like citizens in common use, then it doesn't include a lot of folks," Bronstein said.

Seattle, however, isn't the only city with an eye on potentially disruptive words.

The New York Post reported in March 2012 that the city’s Department of Education avoids references to words like “dinosaurs,” “birthdays,” “Halloween” and dozens of other topics on city-issued tests because they could evoke “unpleasant emotions” among the students.

Dinosaurs, for example, conjures the topic of evolution, which could rile fundamentalists and birthdays are not celebrated by Jehovah’s Witnesses. Halloween, meanwhile, suggests an affiliation to Paganism.

Officials said such exclusions are normal procedure, insisting it’s not censorship.

“This is standard language that has been used by test publishers for many years and allows our students to complete practice exams without distraction,” a Department of Education spokeswoman told the newspaper last year.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013...#ixzz2aoYyWJOJ

It's going to get a lot worse before it gets better.... IF it gets better....

Comment

This is fucking stupid.

Comment

What a bunch of pussies.
        "Yeeeeehhhhhaaaaawwwww that's my jam"

Comment

Hooray for Newspeak.

Comment

Yeah, OR and WA are being overrun with bullshit like this. Refer to my post in the bankrupt cities thread. I feel sorry for them.

Comment

Ive never heard the term "brown bag" used in that way.
              "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Baron View Post
                Ive never heard the term "brown bag" used in that way.
                Neither have I.. It's sofa king stupid though. I'm surprised we can still say black when not referencing race. Do people not understand that context is just as, if not more important than the actual words used? If you are reading an email that says "we're having a brown-bag lunch tomorrow", why on earth would you think that was racial in any way?

Comment

Originally posted by Chili View Post
                  Neither have I.. It's sofa king stupid though. I'm surprised we can still say black when not referencing race. Do people not understand that context is just as, if not more important than the actual words used? If you are reading an email that says "we're having a brown-bag lunch tomorrow", why on earth would you think that was racial in any way?
                  On that same note, I dont think " the brown bag areas have a lower tax paid per home" would be entirely appropriate for a city/state to use.
                  "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Welcome to San Angeles, and have a joy, joy day.

Fuck being politically correct. People need to quit being pussies.

Comment

I guess they don't have Sonic in Seattle..... O.o

Sent from my LGL45C using Tapatalk 2
                      "We, the people, are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts - not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the constitution." Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Comment

They would have a fit if they found out that car parts are called slave cylinder and master cylinder.

Comment

They banned a bunch of shit earlier on the year, like manpower. Crazy ass nw

Comment

Sounds like when John Wiley Price threw a fit about someone calling the Dallas County budget a, "black hole."
                              ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Working...
                              X