Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sweetheart deal to Boeing workers

Via Seattle Times:

Thanks to a federal program lined up by their unions, local workers laid off during the current dip in employment at Boeing Commercial Airplanes will enjoy a financial cushion that’s much, much plumper than what the average unemployed state resident gets.

“Compared to what Joe Worker gets when they get laid off, our members have a pretty extensive safety net,” said Connie Kelliher, spokeswoman for the International Association of Machinists (IAM).

The U.S. Department of Labor has approved Boeing workers — union or nonunion, production workers or engineers — laid off between April 2012 and June 2015 for a package of benefits that includes drawing unemployment pay for up to 2½ years, rather than the regular six months.

The Labor Department ruling also means that if laid-off Boeing workers need to travel, say to California, for a job interview, the government will reimburse 90 percent of the costs.

If they relocate for a new job, the government will pay 90 percent of their moving expenses and provide an additional lump-sum relocation allowance of up to $1,250.

While unemployed, they’ll also get a tax credit for nearly three-quarters of their health-care premiums. And they’re eligible for a grant of up to $25,000 toward the cost of a degree.

And for those workers over 50, if they have to take a lower-paid job after leaving Boeing, the government will provide up to $10,000 over two years in supplementary pay to make up some of the difference.

Keep reading…

I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

If you plan on dicking off, Boeing is apparently the place to be.

Comment

Livin the dream!!

Comment

One one hand, it's bullshit.

On the other, I don't mind protecting our aerospace talent pool.

I'm a bit torn on this one.
        When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

I'd be happier if the first stop was as a government employee working on shit for NASA, but yeah. I'm cool with protecting people with this valuable skill set rather than people that drop out of high school.
          ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Remember guys, this is the same boeing that the obama admin asked not to send layoff notices a week before election day for fear that it would look bad for the president.

This country is so fucking corrupt, with so many takers, that it makes you wonder why you try to be moral at all.....
            Last edited by sc281; 08-03-2013, 05:24 PM.

Comment

Sounds good to me.

<works in the aerospace industry.

Comment

Gives a whole new twist to "If it ain't Boeing, I ain't going".
                "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

Originally posted by sc281 View Post
                  Remember guys, this is the same boeing that the obama admin asked not to send layoff notices a week before election day for fear that it would look bad for the president.

This country is so fucking corrupt, with so many takers, that it makes you wonder why you try to be moral at all.....
                  I remember that and it made my blood boil at the time. FUCKING BULLSHIT!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by 46Tbird View Post
                    One one hand, it's bullshit.

On the other, I don't mind protecting our aerospace talent pool.

I'm a bit torn on this one.
                    Yea, I can understand the logic a bit. These are assembly line workers that are easily replaced. These are skilled to highly skilled workers. These are the guys that put together that 777 that saved almost everyone in San Fran after the pilot screwed up.

But then, that 787 isn't exactly the greatest thing in the sky these days.. so I'm torn too..

Comment

Originally posted by Sgt Beavis View Post
                      Yea, I can understand the logic a bit. These are assembly line workers that are easily replaced. These are skilled to highly skilled workers. These are the guys that put together that 777 that saved almost everyone in San Fran after the pilot screwed up.

But then, that 787 isn't exactly the greatest thing in the sky these days.. so I'm torn too..
                      yeah, aren't these the same people that put together the Dreamliner that keeps catching fire?
                      I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

Airbus FTMFW

Comment

Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
                          yeah, aren't these the same people that put together the Dreamliner that keeps catching fire?

That is a problem caused by picking the wrong type of battery. Lithium ion batteries are a very poor choice for this application. A much better choice would have been any of the safe chemistry cells that are on the market.
                          Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Originally posted by John Galt View Post
                            Airbus FTMFW
                            Want to have a discussion about French unemployment benefits, or Airbus's ability to deliver components to its various subunits that even work together?
                            ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Originally posted by YALE View Post
                              Want to have a discussion about French unemployment benefits, or Airbus's ability to deliver components to its various subunits that even work together?
                              Exactly....Lots of entitlement in the aircraft field.

Comment

Working...
                              X