Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 18-21 year olds to purchase handguns?

Kinda hoping this works out
    I would at least like to be able to buy ammo.

The group is petioning the high court to allow people to buy guns at a younger age. Here's why it probably won't happen.

Can someone please embed.
    Last edited by Probie; 08-07-2013, 08:12 AM.
    Originally posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming...

Can't drink a beer, but can buy a handgun. Hmmm. When I grew up, 18 was legal drinking age.

Comment

I have no problem with an 18 year old owning a pistol as long as he/she knows how to use it and understands the consequences if they use it improperly.. maybe a gun safety and gun law class? fuck I don't know.. lots of raging hormones at that age though...
      "PSH!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Vertnut View Post
        Can't drink a beer, but can buy a handgun. Hmmm. When I grew up, 18 was legal drinking age.
        What's wrong with that? Can't drink a beer but can smoke and join the military.
        It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming...

Comment

It needs to stay at 21...

Comment

Originally posted by 2011GT View Post
            Why?

Comment

Originally posted by Probie View Post
              What's wrong with that? Can't drink a beer but can smoke and join the military.
              It's not consistant. I've always felt that if someone is old enough to fight for the country, they should be legal to do about anything else.

Comment

Originally posted by Vertnut View Post
                It's not consistant. I've always felt that if someone is old enough to fight for the country, they should be legal to do about anything else.
                Yup.

Comment

Originally posted by Probie View Post
                  Yup.
                  Join the military and you will get plenty of weapons experience.

Comment

Originally posted by 2011GT View Post
                    I agree. I think for the majority of 18-21, it would be better to stay this way. I know there are plenty of 18-21 year olds with their head on straight, but again, I think the majority are still immature in the head.

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgeG. View Post
                      I agree. I think for the majority of 18-21, it would be better to stay this way. I know there are plenty of 18-21 year olds with their head on straight, but again, I think the majority are still immature in the head.
                      I hear ya, but chances are they'll spend their money on other shit anyway. I'm torn, but going to lean towards let them buy it. It's policing/governing on the least common denominators again.

At 18:
                      You can smoke
                      You can join the military
                      You can do prison time (and younger)
                      You're an "adult" by law
                      In theory you're out of school and doing everything that a 21+ y/o is doing that is allowed to buy and have the same justification for a gun for a variety of reasons

I can agree with required training, even if free and online. I encourage anyone to take as much training as possible to understand the rules.

Of course, I'm also the guy annoyed that anyone can go out and buy a 5-whatever horsepower boat of whatever size and act like a fool on the local lakes without a clue.
                      Originally posted by MR EDD
                      U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Originally posted by BMCSean View Post
                        Join the military and you will get plenty of weapons experience.
                        Exactly. It's ridiculous to use that as a comparison. I think every person who owns a gun should go through some sort of training. A co-worker of mine has never shot a gun in his life, has no working knowledge of firearms, but now has his conceal carry permit and an AR-15 that just sits in his closet. That's fucked up.

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgeG. View Post
                          I agree here.

Besides, any 18yo that knows the law knows that they can own one anyway.
                          2012 GT500

Comment

Originally posted by Cobraman View Post
                            I agree here.

Besides, any 18yo that knows the law knows that they can own one anyway.
                            It would still be nice to be able to go to a LGS and pick out what you want rather than trying to find someone selling one.

Comment

Originally posted by SS Junk View Post
                              Exactly. It's ridiculous to use that as a comparison. I think every person who owns a gun should go through some sort of training. A co-worker of mine has never shot a gun in his life, has no working knowledge of firearms, but now has his conceal carry permit and an AR-15 that just sits in his closet. That's fucked up.
                              Except you don't have to take classes on any other right to use it. You don't have to sit through classes on voting, don't have to be licensed to speak up against or for the government, don't have to be taught and have a permit to have a right against illegal search and seizure.

Government has no authority to force anyone to do classes or get a permit to own a firearm
                              I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

Working...
                              X