(D) Wrangle calls for draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 2011GT View Post
    I'd fight if our country was actually at war. I'll be damned if I fight for some other countries civil war. I'll move my happy ass to Canada.

Bingo.

Comment

I thought it just meant he didn't have any near draft age kids or grand kids...
      sigpic18 F150 Supercrew - daily
      17 F150 Supercrew - totaled Dec 12, 2018
      13 DIB Premium GT, M6, Track Pack, Glass Roof, Nav, Recaros - Sold
      86 SVO - Sold
      '03 F150 Supercrew - Sold
      01 TJ - new toy - Sold
      65 F100 (460 + C6) - Sold

Comment

Mandatory service is NOT the same thing as a draft. In mandatory service you have the choice of which service you enter, if you are drafted you are forced to go to where the government chooses.

It is basically the same thing as being required to get a job, versus being press-ganged into slavery.

Stevo
        Originally posted by SSMAN
        ...Welcome to the land of "Fuck it". No body cares, and if they do, no body cares.

Comment

Originally posted by 2011GT View Post
          I'd fight if our country was actually at war. I'll be damned if I fight for some other countries civil war. I'll move my happy ass to Canada.
          +1. I'm not willing to die so we can bring "stability" to a region that will never be stable, all the while getting raped six ways from Sunday back home by the very government I am supposed to be serving. Glad to be past the draft age.

Comment

Originally posted by stevo View Post
            Mandatory service is NOT the same thing as a draft. In mandatory service you have the choice of which service you enter, if you are drafted you are forced to go to where the government chooses.

It is basically the same thing as being required to get a job, versus being press-ganged into slavery.

Stevo
            Not necessarily, most of the countries that have mandatory service don't give you an option. The United States doesn't have and mandatory service but countries like Mexico, Brazil, Israel and Austria do. In Mexico for example every male in the system goes into a lottery when they turn 18. Most get a pass and are released in a year but many of them have to play soldier on Saturdays or do community service. In major cities though they can conscript you into the paratrooper battalions or their version of the marines.

If Mexico ever had to defend it's borders they'd be able to mobilize one of the largest fighting forces in the world in a matter of weeks. Not sure how effective they'd be but they'd be better than the Iranian version that basically just charges into enemy lines unarmed.

Comment

Originally posted by BP View Post
              Not necessarily, most of the countries that have mandatory service don't give you an option. The United States doesn't have and mandatory service but countries like Mexico, Brazil, Israel and Austria do. In Mexico for example every male in the system goes into a lottery when they turn 18. Most get a pass and are released in a year but many of them have to play soldier on Saturdays or do community service. In major cities though they can conscript you into the paratrooper battalions or their version of the marines.

If Mexico ever had to defend it's borders they'd be able to mobilize one of the largest fighting forces in the world in a matter of weeks. Not sure how effective they'd be but they'd be better than the Iranian version that basically just charges into enemy lines unarmed.
              Just because some places do it the way you mentioned doesn't mean they ALL do it that way, and it doesn't mean that it SHOULD be done that way in America if mandatory service was implemented.

Stevo
              Originally posted by SSMAN
              ...Welcome to the land of "Fuck it". No body cares, and if they do, no body cares.

Comment

I don't want anyone standing next to me holding a rifle or helping me keep an airplane in the air if they didn't want to fucking be there in the first place.
                2004 Suzuki DL650
                1996 Hy-Tek Hurricane 103

Comment

Working...
                X