Wisconsin School Apologizes for Showing Gooey Pro-Obama Video to Kids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wisconsin School Apologizes for Showing Gooey Pro-Obama Video to Kids

Wisconsin’s McIver Institute reports that the school district in Hudson, Wisconsin (part of the Minneapolis-St. Paul metro area) is apologizing after showing a pro-Barack Obama video to students on Wednesday. It's a sappy “I Pledge” video stuffed with celebrities made by Oprah Winfrey's Harpo Productions in 2009. The school district played the video for middle school students as a part of their “Peace One Day” event.

In the district’s apology, they wrote:

"The reason the video was used was to show students small ways to make a difference in their communities. Most of the video provided viewers with examples like: end hunger in America; volunteer more; always represent your country with pride, dignity and honesty; and care for America's elderly. Unfortunately, the video also had a political slant. The District is non-partisan and does not endorse the political messages found in this video. This video will not be used in the District again."

Middle School Principal Dan Koch made the following announcement to students Thursday afternoon:

"The ‘I Pledge’ video we viewed yesterday included some messages about serving President Barak (sic) Obama. We apologize for any part of the video that was offensive to students, their families and staff. The video conveyed a message that people serve the presidency when in fact our elected officials serve the people. We respect the Office of the President of the United States but like all of our other elected officials, that office serves each of us as well. I sincerely hope that as participants in Wednesday's event what you took away from the experience was to choose to make a difference in your world."

The same controversy erupted when in the fall of 2009 when the Utah Eagle Forum protested that this pro-Obama video was shown to grade-school students in Farmington, Utah.
    I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Sounds like they handled it right. Don't really see anything newsworthy.

Comment

I agree with Tali on this one.

I've never seen the video, but I find it disturbing that it was described as having messages about serving President Obama... Unless it was how to serve him on a dinner plate.

Comment

The "I serve" videos are people talking about serving the president, not the country, not saying he serves the people. It is propaganda bs that is right out of Nazi Germany 1939.

The district knew exactly what was in these videos before they showed them but couldn't pass up the opportunity to drill into kid's head that they serve the President, or Obama directly. It's better to ask forgiveness than to ask for permission

Comment

I don't agree with that. They didn't beat around the bush in their apology at all. They directly hit on every single point I would have personally made in the same position and didn't add a dab of sugar with it.

Comment

Originally posted by talisman View Post
            I don't agree with that. They didn't beat around the bush in their apology at all. They directly hit on every single point I would have personally made in the same position and didn't add a dab of sugar with it.
            Beat around the "who"?

Hehehe
            sigpic18 F150 Supercrew - daily
            17 F150 Supercrew - totaled Dec 12, 2018
            13 DIB Premium GT, M6, Track Pack, Glass Roof, Nav, Recaros - Sold
            86 SVO - Sold
            '03 F150 Supercrew - Sold
            01 TJ - new toy - Sold
            65 F100 (460 + C6) - Sold

Comment

Right. Who was fired? Who was put on suspension for airing this? What penalty was exacted for it?

Comment

Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
                Right. Who was fired? Who was put on suspension for airing this? What penalty was exacted for it?

Sometimes people make mistakes dude. They addressed it. You really want someone fired over this? Even suspended? Get real.

Comment

You'll forgive me Tali, I'm having one of my very pissed off nights. Perhaps I'm overreacting (not the first time) but I don't see this as an accident, I see this is part of a long train of schools doing this.

Comment

You'll forgive me Tali, I'm having one of my very pissed off nights. Perhaps I'm overreacting (not the first time) but I don't see this as an accident, I see this is part of a long train of schools doing this.
                    You do realize that the president is where the buck stops with military orders, right? So essentially the military works for the president.

Comment

Originally posted by racrguy View Post
                      You do realize that the president is where the buck stops with military orders, right? So essentially the military works for the president.
                      Wrong. The People benefit from what we do. We serve the people moreover than the President ourselves. We execute our service to the public by following our chain of command, who also serve the people.

Notice the order of the script:

"I, _____, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God."

We first swear truth faith and allegiance to the constitution (which grants rights to people), while following orders from the president.
                      Detailing by Dylan
                      817-494-3396
                      Meticuloustx7@gmail.com
                      Ask about the Pre-Spring special

Comment

You may serve the people, but you obey the President. There is a big difference in those words. You may like to interpret it that way, but at the end of the day you aren't going to be taking orders from "The People."

Comment

Originally posted by racrguy View Post
                          Not true. You do realize the president isn't a dictator right? He is only the CnC when a declaration of war is given by the Congress Pick up the constitution. We swear an oath to the Constitution, not to a president.

Comment

Not true. You do realize the president isn't a dictator right? He is only the CnC when a declaration of war is given by the Congress Pick up the constitution. We swear an oath to the Constitution, not to a president.

When was the last time we declared war? How many military engagements involving the loss of thousands, even tens of thousands of American servicemen have we suffered since then? The fact of the matter he and any president IS a dictator and can do whatever the hell he wants in regards to the Armed Forces. It has been proven time and time again, regardless of what you say he is "allowed" to do. You irritate the hell out of me when you start with this "Perfect World" garbage. Idealism is great, when it is actually true, that 1 time out of 10,000. If you want someone to take your point seriously you have to look at reality and accept it.

Comment

When was the last time we declared war? How many military engagements involving the loss of thousands, even tens of thousands of American servicemen have we suffered since then? The fact of the matter he and any president IS a dictator and can do whatever the hell he wants in regards to the Armed Forces. It has been proven time and time again, regardless of what you say he is "allowed" to do. You irritate the hell out of me when you start with this "Perfect World" garbage. Idealism is great, when it is actually true, that 1 time out of 10,000. If you want someone to take your point seriously you have to look at reality and accept it.
                              Actually, Congress authorized Bush to act on their behalf so that's technically declaring war. Libya? Not war, not authorized. Same with Syria. The War Powers Act is completely unconstitutional.

Not perfect world garbage. The Supreme Law of the Land. Just because the law is broken does not mean it should not be followed.

Comment

Working...
                              X