Duty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chili View Post
    I was always told / taught that, but on the MOH Wiki page it said that it was not required but a courtesy generally given. Of course that's just Wiki..

Here:

That said, I know that had I had the privilege of encountering a MOH recipient I would have saluted, required or not. I have not had that opportunity though.

When I was in Korea stationed at Camp Greaves, policy on post was to salute officers even when you and / or they were not in uniform. Assuming you knew / recognized them of course. That was ONLY on post though. In the field, as any soldier surely knows, you do not salute. Nor indoors, except when "reporting".

Frost - I know I was at Camp Greaves a few years before you. Did they still do that when you were there? (Saluting when not in uniform)
    Quoting Wiki?

Motherfucker ... where is the AR?

Comment

I was always told / taught that, but on the MOH Wiki page it said that it was not required but a courtesy generally given. Of course that's just Wiki..

Here:

That said, I know that had I had the privilege of encountering a MOH recipient I would have saluted, required or not. I have not had that opportunity though.

When I was in Korea stationed at Camp Greaves, policy on post was to salute officers even when you and / or they were not in uniform. Assuming you knew / recognized them of course. That was ONLY on post though. In the field, as any soldier surely knows, you do not salute. Nor indoors, except when "reporting".

Frost - I know I was at Camp Greaves a few years before you. Did they still do that when you were there? (Saluting when not in uniform)
      Ahhh. It was always presented to me in a "you had damn well better..." manner. And yes, I absolutely would...and did without having to be told to on the one occasion that I was able to:
      What an incredible man he was. I will remember that moment till the day I die.
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_William_Finn
      "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

Here:

If you recognized the officer, yes. It wasn't a 'requirement' but it was highly suggested by NCO's and team leaders. Being Greaves, you tended to know who was an officer as they traveled in packs. It takes some getting used to not saluting in the field. My butter bar at Greaves (now a Major) told me that we should never salute him in the field or out of uniform because snipers would zero in on that. But then again, he's a guy who, his first day there told all of us "You know the difference between a 2nd Lt and a PFC? A PFC has been promoted twice" and when he was promoted, dumped his entire paycheck for that month taking our platoon out to TDC for dinner.
        I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

Originally posted by Pokulski-Blatz View Post
          Quoting Wiki?

Motherfucker ... where is the AR?

This ain't no motherfuckin' academic essay or anything!

At least I made sure to clearly cite my reference and throw out a disclaimer!

Comment

Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
            If you recognized the officer, yes. It wasn't a 'requirement' but it was highly suggested by NCO's and team leaders. Being Greaves, you tended to know who was an officer as they traveled in packs
            Yeah, I know that when I was there the whole post was just 4 companies of the Battalion (A Co was on the south side of the River). So pretty much everyone knew who the officers were on post.

I remember one night two of my friends and I were walking back to our barracks from the bowling alley, slightly intoxicated. I had to piss so I stopped and started going on the fence line. Mid-stream I hear my two buddies say "Stands Alone Sir". I turned and the Battalion Commander was walking by. I thought I was fucked. He just said "I think you can find a better place to do that son". lol

Comment

This ain't no motherfuckin' academic essay or anything!

At least I made sure to clearly cite my reference and throw out a disclaimer!
              There isn't anything in the AR anyhow.

Comment

Originally posted by Pokulski-Blatz View Post
                There isn't anything in the AR anyhow.
                So you give me shit about referencing Wikipedia, even though it's correct? Asshole!

Comment

Yeah, I know that when I was there the whole post was just 4 companies of the Battalion (A Co was on the south side of the River). So pretty much everyone knew who the officers were on post.

I remember one night two of my friends and I were walking back to our barracks from the bowling alley, slightly intoxicated. I had to piss so I stopped and started going on the fence line. Mid-stream I hear my two buddies say "Stands Alone Sir". I turned and the Battalion Commander was walking by. I thought I was fucked. He just said "I think you can find a better place to do that son". lol
                  The company CO caught me sneaking past the gate guards on a Friday night. I had just made the bridge and had to walk the rest of the way with my battle. Tipped the gate guards with a 5th of Jack and a pack of Marlboro Reds and was on my way. He called me out and asked what I was doing. 3 sheets into the wind I remembered "Stands Alone" and came clean. No extra duty, just a good talking to and he told me to be in his office for PT Monday morning.

He spent that hour and a half telling me about green to gold and offered to sponsor me if I extended in Korea. Good man and we renovated Greaves just before we handed it back to the Koreans. New theater, barracks and all.

Comment

wow.
                    sigpic🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄

Without my gun hobby. I would cut off my own dick and let the rats eat it...
                    🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄

Comment

Is it normal for it to take so long for an award like that?
                      Jon

Comment

Originally posted by Mach1Run View Post
                        Is it normal for it to take so long for an award like that?
                        2 years minimum for the MOH. His shit got lost though.

Comment

There are a LOT of hoops in order to get the MOH.

Comment

Working...
                          X