Sign in Indiana School Promotes Population Contro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sign in Indiana School Promotes Population Contro

Fr. John Hollowell, a priest and blogger from Indiana, saw a disturbing sign in the hallways of Northview High School in Brazil, IN.

At first when I walked past the sign I thought to myself - "Oh, cool, they're starting to catch on that our population levels are at a critical phase and that we're heading for a demographic winter because no one is having kids anymore; they're trying to get the word out that our population growth is trending towards a crisis...."

Then I literally had a sick feeling in my stomach when I realized I had the sign completely wrong.

In 1968, the book The Population Bomb was released and predicted, among other things, mass famine and death from starvation due to overpopulation. The book initially claimed that there was no possible way for India to feed its population of 200 million. Since the book was published, India's population has grown to over a billion, and while malnourishment levels are unacceptably high, it is mostly due to corruption and and government ineffectiveness, not overpopulation. The mass starvation due to food shortages never came to fruition--food production actually increased faster than ever before.

Despite the completely wrong predictions in The Population Bomb, the idea that the world is becoming grossly overpopulated has remained in the public's mind. This has led to a shockingly low fertility rate in the western world--almost all of Europe is not reproducing at replacement-level rates.

It is not a school's job to dictate family size to its students, but I am not at all surprised by this sort of rhetoric. This ridiculous project is grounded in junk science and overly-hysterical predictions, and should not be presented as fact to students.

I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

The sign should be in Spanish.

Comment

With the idiots people are spitting out these days, I'm all for population control.
      Originally posted by BradM
      But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
      Originally posted by Leah
      In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post

Despite the completely wrong predictions in The Population Bomb, the idea that the world is becoming grossly overpopulated has remained in the public's mind. This has led to a shockingly low fertility rate in the western world--almost all of Europe is not reproducing at replacement-level rates.

LOL, what an idiotic statement. There are a LOT of reasons people aren't having kids, and worry about the planet being overpopulated would rank right near the bottom in most cases.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
          With the idiots people are spitting out these days, I'm all for population control.
          Forced abortions for erryone!

Comment

In Germany, France and Spain the Caucasian population growth is negative at about 1.8 kids per couple while the Arab population growth is about 6.5. At this rate there wont be a white person in Europe in 70 years

Comment

Originally posted by line-em-up View Post
              Bingo!

Comment

The sign should be in Ebonics.
                fixt.

Stevo
                Originally posted by SSMAN
                ...Welcome to the land of "Fuck it". No body cares, and if they do, no body cares.

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman85turbo View Post
                  In Germany, France and Spain the Caucasian population growth is negative at about 1.8 kids per couple while the Arab population growth is about 6.5. At this rate there wont be a white person in Europe in 70 years
                  That ought to make Adolf Hitler turn over in his grave.

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman85turbo View Post
                    At the current rate, it'll be more like 20 years.

But hey, what's the worst that could happen? After all, the vast majority belong to the religion of peace!

Comment

Originally posted by The King View Post
                      That ought to make Adolf Hitler turn over in his grave.
                      Or another one come about...

Comment

X a million, the people who can least afford kids spit em out like an easy bake oven!

Comment

Originally posted by JP135 View Post

But hey, what's the worst that could happen? After all, the vast majority belong to the religion of peace!
                          No shit.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean88gt View Post
                            Or another one come about...
                            No shit.

Comment

Originally posted by JP135 View Post

Since I am living in the UK I can tell you it will be in about ten years, there is nothing now than arabs and kebab shops. Fucking guys are the typical Mexicans in yurop but these blow themselves up.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
                              First hand witness at the failure of public healthcare.

Comment

Working...
                              X