Professor: Obama should be allowed to run for a third term

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Professor: Obama should be allowed to run for a third term

In The Washington Post, Jonathan Zimmerman, a history professor from NYU, has written an article claiming that all of America’s problems would be soloved–GET THIS–if only we would allow Barack Obama to run for a third term!

He wants to amend the Constitution and abolish presidential term limits.

Zimmerman writes that Obama–whose approval rating is at an all time low of 37%–would be much more effective at governing if he could stand for re-election in 2016 because then he’d be less likely to “ignore” the will of the American people. “It’s time to put that power back where it belongs,” he writes. “Barack Obama should be allowed to stand for re election just as citizens should be allowed to vote for — or against — him. Anything less diminishes our leaders and ourselves.”

We don’t know whether to shake our heads in disbelief, or burst out laughing.

This professor admits that only a third of Americans approve of the job Obama is doing in office, yet he wants us to believe that we’d be better off if he were able to be president until the year 2020–and beyond?

That’s some strange logic.

Just one week ago, the very same newspaper ran a story predicting that if the 2012 election were held now, Mitt Romney would win the White House, not Obama.

Right now, this country has a serious case of voter’s remorse. Therefore the timing for this call for a potential third Obama term couldn’t be worse.

If we were going to go to the trouble of amending the Constitution, I think more Americans would be interested in adding the power to recall this president than would be interested in giving him a third term.
    With Obama’s approval rating at an all-time low, one professor is saying Obama should be allowed to run for a third term…
    I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Yeah, that would be a good idea, NOT!
    There is a reason for term limits and this admin shows why they are a great idea.
    Rich

Comment

To the contrary, ALL elected officials should have term limits.

Comment

"because then he’d be less likely to “ignore” the will of the American people."

For fuck's sake....

Stevo
        Originally posted by SSMAN
        ...Welcome to the land of "Fuck it". No body cares, and if they do, no body cares.

Comment

Does this author, Zimmerman, read what he writes before submitting it?
          Rich

Comment

I just read this on yahoo. I wondered how long it would be before they got the ball rolling on this agenda as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleeper View Post
              I just read this on yahoo. I wondered how long it would be before they got the ball rolling on this agenda as well.
              I'm waiting for Obama just to say he's running for a third term. The framers were slave owners so that part of the constitution doesn't apply to him. "If you like your votes, you can keep them! "
              "Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Comment

Originally posted by GhostTX View Post
                I'm waiting for Obama just to say he's running for a third term. The framers were slave owners so that part of the constitution doesn't apply to him. "If you like your votes, you can keep them! "
                That amendment wasn't made until the late 1940's after FDR, precisely because he wouldn't give up running for the office.

Comment

As I have said for awhile, it wouldn't surprise me if something happens that keeps him in office another term. This whole Administration is hell bent on making rules as they go and breaking them just as much.

Comment

Originally posted by Trip McNeely View Post
                    As I have said for awhile, it wouldn't surprise me if something happens that keeps him in office another term. This whole Administration is hell bent on making rules as they go and breaking them just as much.
                    He would love to impose martial law.
                    I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

Originally posted by LANTIRN View Post
                      He would love to impose martial law.
                      Because if he does that, there won't be any elections to worry about.

Comment

Isn't there some idiot in congress that tries to appeal it every friggin two years? 8 years is enough of any President or political figure......that goes for congress as well.

Term limits on all government positions. If you stay in office 40+ years, you are owned by someone, and no longer represent people in general. JMHO

Comment

Originally posted by line-em-up View Post
                          Because if he does that, there won't be any elections to worry about.
                          Martial Law usually suspends laws; Lincoln suspended habeas corpus, Obama could use it to suspend elections.
                          I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

Originally posted by LANTIRN View Post
                            Martial Law usually suspends laws; Lincoln suspended habeas corpus, Obama could use it to suspend elections.
                            I've been tinfoil hatting that theory for the last couple years.

Stevo
                            Originally posted by SSMAN
                            ...Welcome to the land of "Fuck it". No body cares, and if they do, no body cares.

Comment

Originally posted by sc281 View Post
                              That amendment wasn't made until the late 1940's after FDR, precisely because he wouldn't give up running for the office.
                              Ya, I'm aware of that. George Washington set the precedent of two terms and voluntarily stepped down. Every President since then did it, too, except FDR.

Originally posted by likeitfast55 View Post
                              Isn't there some idiot in congress that tries to appeal it every friggin two years? 8 years is enough of any President or political figure......that goes for congress as well.

Term limits on all government positions. If you stay in office 40+ years, you are owned by someone, and no longer represent people in general. JMHO
                              Framers never intended for all year, all life congressmen. They were expected to come to Washington, do some legislation, then go back to their real jobs/careers, where they would interact with their constituents and really know the people they were representing.
                              "Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Comment

Working...
                              X