Tesla to Texas: How Do You Like Us Now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by bcoop View Post
    I wasn't sure what he meant by his post, but you beat me to it. Value of time varies from person to person, but you don't have to stand there while it charges, like you do with gas.
    That'll kind of depend on the neighborhood. We still have meth heads to deal with and the charging cables are copper. I'm sure the network can e-mail you if the car gets disconnected but it'll be annoying. That and I'm sure at some point someone is going to get shocked or burned by one.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nash B. View Post
      It's different. You won't need to stop to charge during your commute unless you're driving more than a full charge will support. Drive to work/dinner/bar and charge while you're not using the car (or don't if there isn't a charging station), then drive home and charge while you're at home. Once we get past the limited charging stations and/or time required to charge, charging will become more convenient than filling up with gas.
      This is far above my paygrade but I know with my laptop, leaving it charged degrades the battery, draining it completely degrades the battery, age degrades the battery. Getting it too hot, too cold, degrades the battery and effects how long I can use my laptop on a single charge. Are these not issues with these vehicles?
      I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

• Originally posted by BP View Post
        That'll kind of depend on the neighborhood. We still have meth heads to deal with and the charging cables are copper. I'm sure the network can e-mail you if the car gets disconnected but it'll be annoying. That and I'm sure at some point someone is going to get shocked or burned by one.
        I'm sure they have safeguards against it, but if someone is so dumb as to get fried because they were a retard when handling electricity, is it such a bad thing?

Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
        This is far above my paygrade but I know with my laptop, leaving it charged degrades the battery, draining it completely degrades the battery, age degrades the battery. Getting it too hot, too cold, degrades the battery and effects how long I can use my laptop on a single charge. Are these not issues with these vehicles?
        I think they are, currently, but like all of the other hurdles that currently face the electric vehicle segment of the market, it's an issue that will eventually be resolved.

Comment

• Originally posted by racrguy View Post
          I'm sure they have safeguards against it, but if someone is so dumb as to get fried because they were a retard when handling electricity, is it such a bad thing?
          I think the Prius had an issue with fire fighters getting electrocuted when they were getting people out. Having high voltage lines in a vehicle is an interesting thing when you have to cut through it.

Comment

• so yay! An inconvenient $70,000 car.

There is a sucker born every minute!

Comment

• Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
              I think the Prius had an issue with fire fighters getting electrocuted when they were getting people out. Having high voltage lines in a vehicle is an interesting thing when you have to cut through it.
              Voltage isn't the issue, amperage is.

Originally posted by aggie97 View Post
              so yay! An inconvenient $70,000 car.

There is a sucker born every minute!
              Because ICE vehicles were 100% convenient when they first came about. AMIRITE!

Oh, and cheap too.

Sucker born every minute, I agree.

Comment

• Originally posted by racrguy View Post
                Voltage isn't the issue, amperage is.

Because ICE vehicles were 100% convenient when they first came about. AMIRITE!

Oh, and cheap too.

Sucker born every minute, I agree.
                I'll admit, I do not know the difference. I was referring to this:

Prius Wreck Highlights Need For Special Firefighter Training

Comment

• Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
                  or the potential of salt water and li-ion battery's catching fire! #fiskerfires.

Look, I like the idea of being innovative, but this entire thing was played out in the 1980's and failed miserably. Sure a few people bought electric cars and tried them....they went back to gas powered cars.

I relate the Tesla business model after the apple macintosh model from 1984:

"Hey, look how cool this new computer is! It's fast, small and you can't buy any great software for it! Come on down and buy one today for 3x the price of a regular PC because you will be cool." Over time, software companies figured well, if they are stupid enough to buy a computer with no software, I guess we can sell them software at even higher prices. It only took what, 15 years. Apple even had to write software to run Windows on their own machines. Probably the same reason Musk is talking about capacitors...which anyone with a brain or engineering degree realizes is a JOKE.

Technology CAN be great and wonderful and groundbreaking. However, Teslas are not great new technology. It is a marketing gimmick and there is just enough stupid people with money to buy one. I am honestly surprised banks are writing loans on the things. I figured people with enough money to buy a $70k car would be smarter than this?

Comment

• Originally posted by aggie97 View Post
                    or the potential of salt water and li-ion battery's catching fire! #fiskerfires.

Look, I like the idea of being innovative, but this entire thing was played out in the 1980's and failed miserably. Sure a few people bought electric cars and tried them....they went back to gas powered cars.
                    The Fisker deal was pretty odd but officially according to them the fires started as part of the 12V system and a short due to corrosion and a short in a module, not the high voltage side. That and they are hybrids and the company is failing miserably.

Many EV-1 owners were kicking and screaming to keep their cars, just like the Rangers. They were all test vehicles that were leased to customers, none were sold to the public. My company was contracted out to destroy most of them.

Comment

I relate the Tesla business model after the apple macintosh model from 1984:

"Hey, look how cool this new computer is! It's fast, small and you can't buy any great software for it! Come on down and buy one today for 3x the price of a regular PC because you will be cool." Over time, software companies figured well, if they are stupid enough to buy a computer with no software, I guess we can sell them software at even higher prices. It only took what, 15 years. Apple even had to write software to run Windows on their own machines. Probably the same reason Musk is talking about capacitors...which anyone with a brain or engineering degree realizes is a JOKE.

Technology CAN be great and wonderful and groundbreaking. However, Teslas are not great new technology. It is a marketing gimmick and there is just enough stupid people with money to buy one. I am honestly surprised banks are writing loans on the things. I figured people with enough money to buy a $70k car would be smarter than this?

How is Apple doing these days?

Comment

• Originally posted by talisman View Post
                        They should've just folded at the first sign of trouble. If things aren't good from the start, how can you expect them to ever be great?
                        Originally posted by Broncojohnny
                        HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

• Originally posted by Nash B. View Post
                          They should've just folded at the first sign of trouble. If things aren't good from the start, how can you expect them to ever be great?

Apparently.

Comment

• If they had, Ashton Kutcher never would've desecrated the legacy of Steve Jobs.
                            Originally posted by Broncojohnny
                            HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

• Originally posted by talisman View Post
                              A $200 phone is a common product to sell. A $70k status symbol...isn't.

You basically have apple people and everyone else. and most of the everyone else tried apple and hated it.

You can argue any point you want but 15 years from now, we still won't be buying electric cars because they are the new perfect solution.

Comment

A $200 phone is a common product to sell. A $70k status symbol...isn't.
                                Look at all the new 3/4-1 ton diesels running around. I beg to differ. Also, iPhones aren't $200, they're every bit of 7-800.

You basically have apple people and everyone else. and most of the everyone else tried apple and hated it.
                                Wut?
                                You can argue any point you want but 15 years from now, we still won't be buying electric cars because they are the new perfect solution.
                                This statement is based on what?

You don't have to like them, I think you're stretching a bit. It's as simple as saying "I don't like them." There are TONS of things I don't like that I don't have a quantifiable reason for. It's cool, man, you don't have to fabricate stuff to justify yourself.

Comment

Working...
                                X