No announcement yet.

Tesla to Texas: How Do You Like Us Now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In order for electric cars to be viable (not stressing our already outdated power grid and upping the costs for energy) they would have to be able to produce their own energy and speed up recharge or recharge on the go. Maybe if they were coated in solar panels and spin small wind turbines located behind the grill at speed to help keep the battery going but I'm not seeing something that must constantly be recharged with a very limited range as viable.

I'm not seeing planes and ships and semi's going electric or anything like firetrucks and ambulances or anything where you aren't guaranteed a light socket nearby.
    I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

• Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
      In order for electric cars to be viable (not stressing our already outdated power grid and upping the costs for energy) they would have to be able to produce their own energy and speed up recharge or recharge on the go. Maybe if they were coated in solar panels and spin small wind turbines located behind the grill at speed to help keep the battery going but I'm not seeing something that must constantly be recharged with a very limited range as viable.
      Why do you expect more out of electric cars than you do your current ICE powered ones?

I'm not seeing planes and ships and semi's going electric or anything like firetrucks and ambulances or anything where you aren't guaranteed a light socket nearby.
      You probably pass by them (probably) hundreds of times a week. They're called gas stations.

Comment

• Originally posted by racrguy View Post
        You probably pass by them (probably) hundreds of times a week. They're called gas stations.
        Who can sit there for half a day to charge their shit? I think even the mere mention of a power outlet is already defeat. I've seen them near I-45 and I-20 at a shell gas station, the outlets. I just don't see how that is ever going to work except in an emergency.
        "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
        "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Why do you expect more out of electric cars than you do your current ICE powered ones?

I don't. I can top up my tank in a minute to a minute and a half tops and go another 400 to 500 miles based on my driving. If I wanted to, I could drive across country with only a few minute stops for fuel. How long would it take to run across the country in an electric car.

Comment

• Originally posted by CJ View Post
            Who can sit there for half a day to charge their shit? I think even the mere mention of a power outlet is already defeat. I've seen them near I-45 and I-20 at a shell gas station, the outlets. I just don't see how that is ever going to work except in an emergency.
            And if there is a natural disaster where the grid is down for more than a few hours,you not only lose your power at home, you lose your ability to travel as well. No plug equals no vehicle. You can't carry spare batteries to just switch out like I can a gas can in the back of my truck.

Comment

You said that electric cars are essentially a flash in the pan technology. I'm asking you why. I want you to convince me that you're correct and not just being a contrarian because of your past experiences with the technology.

There was a time when people thought the same about space travel that you think about electric cars. What makes your nay-saying any different than those that opposed space travel?

I'm not sure what you mean by me accepting the political spin, because for all I can tell the infrastructure issues that have plagued electric cars is being addressed in a quick manner. I don't recall ever arguing either way whether or not Tesla should be able to sell direct to customers, so I think I've pretty well ignored the political spin on the topic.
              Dear god dude. The technology has not changed one bit in the past 40 years. They have just worked on some of the problems that are inherent in an electric motor but they have not over come them because they are the limits that are also what make and electric motor work in the first place. You are mistaking the process of working around the limitations inherent in the design as progress instead of seeing it as the patch job that it really is. You are basically getting lost in the details without asking if any effort should be made on this project in the first place. Like I pointed out before; this issue is nearly a religious one being undertaken by fanatics who simply do not know what they do not know.
              Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

I don't. I can top up my tank in a minute to a minute and a half tops and go another 400 to 500 miles based on my driving. If I wanted to, I could drive across country with only a few minute stops for fuel. How long would it take to run across the country in an electric car.
                Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
                You can't carry spare batteries to just switch out like I can a gas can in the back of my truck.
                Some of them arent that big tho

You could carry one about the size of a 5 gallon bucket and the car could be rigged to accept the spare
                WH

Comment

• Originally posted by Gasser64 View Post
                  Some of them arent that big tho

You could carry one about the size of a 5 gallon bucket and the car could be rigged to accept the spare
                  I did not know that but then you just add to the problem. Now, you're further down the road with 2 dead batteries and nowhere to charge them.

Comment

I did not know that but then you just add to the problem. Now, you're further down the road with 2 dead batteries and nowhere to charge them.
                    Well that could be the same for gas though

the idea of spare would be get you to the house or station
                    WH

Comment

Wasn't it shown earlier in the thread that it takes 45m for a charge? Keep in mind, this technology is still quite young, it should only get better as time goes on.
                      Must have a small tank for 1:30 fill ups. How long to make that drive in an electric car? About the same.
                      And if there is a natural disaster where the grid is down for more than a few hours,you not only lose your power at home, you lose your ability to travel as well. No plug equals no vehicle. You can't carry spare batteries to just switch out like I can a gas can in the back of my truck.
                      You must carry a lot of gas cans, because as soon as the power goes out you won't be able to refill your tank from a standard filling station.
                      Originally posted by svo855 View Post
                      Dear god dude. The technology has not changed one bit in the past 40 years. They have just worked on some of the problems that are inherent in an electric motor but they have not over come them because they are the limits that are also what make and electric motor work in the first place. You are mistaking the process of working around the limitations inherent in the design as progress instead of seeing it as the patch job that it really is. You are basically getting lost in the details without asking if any effort should be made on this project in the first place. Like I pointed out before; this issue is nearly a religious one being undertaken by fanatics who simply do not know what they do not know.
                      Oh. Batteries, electric motors, and charging systems haven't changed at all in the past 40 years. What was it I said about being a poor engineer earlier?

Comment

Wasn't it shown earlier in the thread that it takes 45m for a charge? Keep in mind, this technology is still quite young, it should only get better as time goes on.

Must have a small tank for 1:30 fill ups. How long to make that drive in an electric car? About the same.

You must carry a lot of gas cans, because as soon as the power goes out you won't be able to refill your tank from a standard filling station.

Oh. Batteries, electric motors, and charging systems haven't changed at all in the past 40 years. What was it I said about being a poor engineer earlier?
                        No, it isn't that fast, I can tell you that from experience. One of the guys at my office has a tesla roadster, and he was telling me 110 it's well over a day. There are many different kinds of chargers, but two phase only goes so high, 3 phase it can charge that fast, maybe. But you're only going to get 110 pretty much anywhere you go. They also have some induction mats that you drive over in your garage and it charges. He was telling me that essentially if you run out of juice anywhere, cancel your plans for the evening.
                        "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                        "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

No, it isn't that fast, I can tell you that from experience. One of the guys at my office has a tesla roadster, and he was telling me 110 it's well over a day. There are many different kinds of chargers, but two phase only goes so high, 3 phase it can charge that fast, maybe. But you're only going to get 110 pretty much anywhere you go. They also have some induction mats that you drive over in your garage and it charges. He was telling me that essentially if you run out of juice anywhere, cancel your plans for the evening.
                          Fuck, on 110 of course it's going to take forever and a day. I was under the impression that we were talking about infrastructure grade chargers like you can find at Teslas new charging stations along the roads.

Comment

Fuck, on 110 of course it's going to take forever and a day. I was under the impression that we were talking about infrastructure grade chargers like you can find at Teslas new charging stations along the roads.
                            You know the chances of finding one of those around here in reality and being at the right time when you need one is probably slim as shit. Hell, finding a damn 110 outlet and letting someone use it (without being arrested) is probably going to be a little tricky. I asked him about range, he said if you like driving fast, you probably shouldn't buy one unless you're within 15 miles of work. So I presume driving it like you stole it flogs your range.

Comment

I was talking specifically about the motors. Permanent magnet variable speed motors have been around since the 1950s but there was no use for them because they were huge money(and still are) and power was cheap. Batteries have gotten better also but charging systems have not gotten anymore efficient since the early 60's. With almost no exceptions all of the tech that goes into an electric car is pretty old tech that is now being refined to try to make it actually into something that can be used like a real car. About the only new stuff that is on them is a low lose buss and a PWM motor controller. Were it not for politics none of it would have even seen the light of day.
                              Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

You know the chances of finding one of those around here in reality and being at the right time when you need one is probably slim as shit. Hell, finding a damn 110 outlet and letting someone use it (without being arrested) is probably going to be a little tricky. I asked him about range, he said if you like driving fast, you probably shouldn't buy one unless you're within 15 miles of work. So I presume driving it like you stole it flogs your range.
                                At the moment, yes. That's the thing about new infrastructure, they're building more and more as time goes on. When ICE cars came about there weren't gas stations everywhere. Were the nay-sayers of the day correct?

When you drive any car like you stole it the efficiency goes down.
                                Originally posted by svo855 View Post
                                I was talking specifically about the motors. Permanent magnet variable speed motors have been around since the 1950s but there was no use for them because they were huge money(and still are) and power was cheap. Batteries have gotten better also but charging systems have not gotten anymore efficient since the early 60's. With almost no exceptions all of the tech that goes into an electric car is pretty old tech that is now being refined to try to make it actually into something that can be used like a real car. About the only new stuff that is on them is a low lose buss and a PWM motor controller. Were it not for politics none of it would have even seen the light of day.
                                Oh, so refining existing technology with new processes and materials isn't new technology? If you want to classify new technology the way you did, there is little to no new technology. In fact, I can't think of a time when a new technology came about in my lifetime, going by your requirements.

Comment

Working...
                                X