Tesla to Texas: How Do You Like Us Now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by svo855 View Post

The issue is not the efficiency of the electric motor because that is immaterial. The issues is what is the efficiency of the engine that produced the power in the first place and how much power is lost getting the power to the charger (about 12 percent national average), how much power is lost with the charger(ever put your hand on the charger? It gets DAMN hot and that is lost power)and how much is lost getting from the battery to the motor moving the car.
    Th
    I find this conversation interesting. So in other words keeping things cool would be a factor. However iirc I have heard of water cooling on electric cars before. But I dont know if it is in use nowdays. What if you only ran the electricity up, to max efficiency? What I mean is stop the flow before anything gets hot. No wasted heat energy. If everything is staying cool, you would know that loss is not occurring. Now sure that is going to cut back on available power. But its not a drag racer just a grocery getter.
    WH

Comment

Originally posted by LANTIRN View Post
      Someone else will probably confirm if I am right, but I thought I had read somewhere that robotic guns were illegal. I don't think it was worded as robotic but it was talking about what you are building. Maybe I am wrong but that sounds like prison time.
      It's called "boobytrapping" I would think.

Comment

Originally posted by The King View Post
        It's called "boobytrapping" I would think.
        I don't think so, at least not in what I remember reading some time ago. It was about configuring a gun to fired automatically or autonoumosly. It was basically describing something similar to the robot sentry guns on Aliens. I know they can be used for booby traps but I don't remember reading that. Sounds like it would be covered under several laws though, now that you brought that up.
        I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

Originally posted by svo855
          The issue is not the efficiency of the electric motor because that is immaterial. The issues is what is the efficiency of the engine that produced the power in the first place and how much power is lost getting the power to the charger (about 12 percent national average), how much power is lost with the charger(ever put your hand on the charger? It gets DAMN hot and that is lost power)and how much is lost getting from the battery to the motor moving the car.
          If we're going to take all of that into account we must also take into account those same factors with petroleum based fuels as well. I haven't, nor do i know of a place that has, done the math on just how much energy is expended in the production of fossil fuels. I bet your head would explode.

Comment

The oil man always wins. Way too much power there

Comment

Originally posted by QIK46 View Post
              The oil man always wins. Way too much power there
              The oil man doesn't care. He make money no matter what. Most electricity is produced from fossil fuels (gas, oil, and coal). The oil man is vested in all of those. The oil man is also invested in alternative power like solar, wind (big time), and even nuclear. The oil man will even be happy if we go to hydrogen cars (which we won't). Because most hydrogen production comes from.. you guessed it... oil.

Comment

Originally posted by Gasser64 View Post
                So in other words keeping things cool would be a factor. However iirc I have heard of water cooling on electric cars before. But I dont know if it is in use nowdays. What if you only ran the electricity up, to max efficiency? What I mean is stop the flow before anything gets hot. No wasted heat energy. If everything is staying cool, you would know that loss is not occurring.
                No. That's like "fixing" a gas leak by filling up the tank.
                Originally posted by Broncojohnny
                HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

Someone else will probably confirm if I am right, but I thought I had read somewhere that robotic guns were illegal. I don't think it was worded as robotic but it was talking about what you are building. Maybe I am wrong but that sounds like prison time.
                  Do not care. Opening up on some one with full auto machine gun is also illegal and that will be the least of my problems if the day ever comes where I have to use my stuff.

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
                  Lol...suuuure. What company is it that you worked for? What design and development work did you specifically do? What's your education?

You sound like one of those old engineers that never properly did anything, failed at a lot and assumed your inadequacies on everyone else.
                  Masters in materials and mechanical engineering. Orbital Corp, and the Eaton Corp. Decided that I did not like working in a corporate structure and gave it up.

I have never failed at anything that I have set my mind to and am quite well off for it.

Originally posted by Gasser64 View Post
                  I find this conversation interesting. So in other words keeping things cool would be a factor. However iirc I have heard of water cooling on electric cars before. But I dont know if it is in use nowdays. What if you only ran the electricity up, to max efficiency? What I mean is stop the flow before anything gets hot. No wasted heat energy. If everything is staying cool, you would know that loss is not occurring. Now sure that is going to cut back on available power. But its not a drag racer just a grocery getter.
                  It is not a matter of keeping it cool. The problem is the lost watts that heat represents.

Originally posted by racrguy View Post
                  If we're going to take all of that into account we must also take into account those same factors with petroleum based fuels as well. I haven't, nor do i know of a place that has, done the math on just how much energy is expended in the production of fossil fuels. I bet your head would explode.
                  The factors that you are describing are well known by the industry and are often quoted by environmentalist groups when they talk bad about the oil industry. Charging the battery in an electric car just adds a few more steps where you lose 80 percent of the power at each step.
                  Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Opening up on some one with full auto machine gun is also illegal
                    Not illegal, it's happened several times before. As long as it's a legal machine gun everyone that I know of was not found guilty. It's just not a good idea.
                    "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                    "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
                      Not illegal, it's happened several times before. As long as it's a legal machine gun everyone that I know of was not found guilty. It's just not a good idea.
                      You are not taking into account who could be on the business end.
                      Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Why would you go onto a public forum and post about blatantly illegal activities? It sounds like you want the law to come and screw with you just so you can start something.
                        I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

Originally posted by Trip McNeely View Post
                          How often do these cars require a charging? From what I understand it is quite frequent. Also since these cars are $70k+, are they really that efficient in the long run? Seems like a fad they are trying to capture more than a real cause.
                          This is true. There is a good reason we don't want them in TX. When the brand fails to succeed, we would have 6500 people standing in the unemployment line. It's a fad. An expensive fad.

How is it that the facility is supposed to cost $5B and Tesla is only putting in $2B? Who comes up with the rest? Better not be taxpayers.

I also find it funny that Tesla has had to install charging stations along major highways so you aren't riding home with Tommy the wrecker driver.

$70k+ is retarded!

Comment

Why would you go onto a public forum and post about blatantly illegal activities? It sounds like you want the law to come and screw with you just so you can start something.
                            The gun is legal and I have done nothing wrong and will do nothing wrong. For me to get screwed with an injustice will have to be done by the powers that be and I will fight.

Comment

Originally posted by aggie97 View Post
                              This is true. There is a good reason we don't want them in TX. When the brand fails to succeed, we would have 6500 people standing in the unemployment line. It's a fad. An expensive fad.

How is it that the facility is supposed to cost $5B and Tesla is only putting in $2B? Who comes up with the rest? Better not be taxpayers.

I also find it funny that Tesla has had to install charging stations along major highways so you aren't riding home with Tommy the wrecker driver.

$70k+ is retarded!
                              That is my question
                              I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

I have no idea what you're talking about.
                                Last edited by CJ; 03-02-2014, 08:27 PM.
                                "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                                "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Working...
                                X