No announcement yet.

Tesla to Texas: How Do You Like Us Now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• svo855 is very confused on the state of technology. Even fucking RC electronics have come a long way on a few decades.

One of those old types that doesn't believe in advancement.

Comment

• And EV charge stations are popping up all over. You may not have recognized it, but they're out and about.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
        And EV charge stations are popping up all over. You may not have recognized it, but they're out and about.
        there's one at the shell station on beltline and 30 I saw on the way in today.
        "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

• Originally posted by racrguy View Post
          At the moment, yes. That's the thing about new infrastructure, they're building more and more as time goes on. When ICE cars came about there weren't gas stations everywhere. Were the nay-sayers of the day correct?

When you drive any car like you stole it the efficiency goes down.

Oh, so refining existing technology with new processes and materials isn't new technology? If you want to classify new technology the way you did, there is little to no new technology. In fact, I can't think of a time when a new technology came about in my lifetime, going by your requirements.
          the refinement he is talking about is less than 10% in efficiency. Seriously, battery technology hasn't progressed much at all because the chemistry and physics of it hasn't changed. Unless you develop new materials not currently on the periodic table, there is no NEW technology. Trust me, the engineers have been trying for 60 years and they aren't exactly dumb or underfunded.

Comment

• Originally posted by aggie97 View Post
            the refinement he is talking about is less than 10% in efficiency. Seriously, battery technology hasn't progressed much at all because the chemistry and physics of it hasn't changed. Unless you develop new materials not currently on the periodic table, there is no NEW technology. Trust me, the engineers have been trying for 60 years and they aren't exactly dumb or underfunded.
            If battery technology hasn't progressed "much at all" then why do we have some EV's only able to go 30-40 miles, yet another able to go hundreds? Also, why are we regularly changing battery chemicals for increased power, efficiency, and storage capacity if we aren't developing new materials?

Comment

• So how do these super capacitors work? They suck a ton of power from your house and then store it for a period? 15,000 farad capacitor. Your lights will never dim when you listen to Jay Z!
              "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
              "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

• Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
                And EV charge stations are popping up all over. You may not have recognized it, but they're out and about.
                There are probably 10+ within a 5 mile radius of 114 and MacArthur. These things are popping up outside of restaurants everywhere. I know for a fact there are 2 in the lot between Champp's & The Ranch. And they've been there for 3 years or so.
                Originally posted by BradM
                But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                Originally posted by Leah
                In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

If battery technology hasn't progressed "much at all" then why do we have some EV's only able to go 30-40 miles, yet another able to go hundreds? Also, why are we regularly changing battery chemicals for increased power, efficiency, and storage capacity if we aren't developing new materials?
                  Easy, the cheaper solution only goes 40 miles. the "costs as much as a house" option can go further. How much do you want to spend on a car? That Tesla is 82,000 dollars before taxes and you have to go out of state to buy it! I'll take a $25k Nissan Altima and 30 years of gasoline....or two more cars for wife and child.

Comment

At the moment, yes. That's the thing about new infrastructure, they're building more and more as time goes on. When ICE cars came about there weren't gas stations everywhere. Were the nay-sayers of the day correct?
                    Well, I'm discussing the reality of owning one of these cars today, not in the future.
                    "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                    "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

• Originally posted by CJ View Post
                      Well, I'm discussing the reality of owning one of these cars today, not in the future.
                      Within the year is too far out in the future?

To Aggie and SVO, neither of you have explained why EV's are flash in the pan, won't work, or some other reason they won't work. You've both said technology hasn't progressed, but when looking at the reality of the situation, it disagrees with you.

Again, you don't have to like EV's, and I'm not asking you to. What I am asking you to do is have a valid justification as to why others shouldn't like them. I'm sorry, experiments you did long enough ago to classify a car as an antique/classic don't count.

Comment

To Aggie and SVO, neither of you have explained why EV's are flash in the pan, won't work, or some other reason they won't work. You've both said technology hasn't progressed, but when looking at the reality of the situation, it disagrees with you.

Again, you don't have to like EV's, and I'm not asking you to. What I am asking you to do is have a valid justification as to why others shouldn't like them. I'm sorry, experiments you did long enough ago to classify a car as an antique/classic don't count.
                        Unless you live in the city, this isn't viable tech. For me to go from my house to the VA and back would go through a complete charge, if I didn't flog it. When I got home (with stopping nowhere else), I would have to plug it in and wait until the next day before I could go grocery shopping. How would this make sense for anyone outside of the city centers?
                        I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

I don't think you're going to have super fast charging stations as frequently as gas stations in a single year. Seeing as there is practically none now.

Comment

• Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
                            Unless you live in the city, this isn't viable tech. For me to go from my house to the VA and back would go through a complete charge, if I didn't flog it. When I got home (with stopping nowhere else), I would have to plug it in and wait until the next day before I could go grocery shopping. How would this make sense for anyone outside of the city centers?
                            How far do you live from the grocery store?

Originally posted by CJ View Post
                            I don't think you're going to have super fast charging stations as frequently as gas stations in a single year. Seeing as there is practically none now.
                            How many Flying J do you pass on a regular basis? You're comparing one "chain" of stores to the entirety of the gas station market.

Comment

How far do you live from the grocery store?

How many Flying J do you pass on a regular basis? You're comparing one "chain" of stores to the entirety of the gas station market.
                              Nearest gas station is 35 miles. If I need to, I can take a 55 gallon drum and put it at the house full of fuel. How much will spare batteries weigh/cost compared to gasoline? Is it easier to fill a tank with a gas can on the side of the road if you run out of fuel or to change batteries? Is AAA coming out to your car with a charger and 24 hours of sitting there to get you on the road or a spare set of batteries?

Tell me how this is innovation.
                              I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

Working...
                              X