Hobby Lobby contraception case going to Supreme Court

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by talisman View Post
    They are made up of people, but they are not people. Of course our government disagrees with that notion so it can keep the cash rolling into its own pockets. At any rate, now we get to deal with companies arbitrarily deciding what tenants of their religion they want to abide by as corporate policy. Read this earlier:

"Calling bullshit on Hobby Lobby and their claim that providing birth control under the ACA violates their "religious freedom."

If Hobby Lobby wants to play the "Christian beliefs" card then they must be required to follow all of them, including:

...Healthcare for all employees "care for the sick"

...Food stamps "feed the poor"

...And equal profit sharing "sell your belongings and give the money to the poor."

They should also provide child care and paid maternity leave since they're not giving employees much choice in whether they have kids or not.

It would be the Christian thing to do."

Perfect.

That is pretty ridiculous, and your view is skewed. Disallowing 4 of 20 birth control options now means their employees don't have a choice? Lmgdao.

DJ is spot on.
    Originally posted by BradM
    But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
    Originally posted by Leah
    In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

• Originally posted by CJ View Post
      So a corporation is composed of services? Do these services produce income, balance books, and pay taxes? You see how ridiculous this is. Of course a corporation is composed of people, it's common sense. The left works diligently to convince people that corporations are big, evil, nameless/faceless conglomerates that work to destroy and imprison all citizens. The truth is they are a group of people that are in business together for the expressed purpose of making a profit. Just like any business, and any individual. I think it's misguided to believe government has any business telling an individual, a company, or a corporation how and what they should provide. Especially when that thing is entirely subjective and discretionary. It is government tyrannical encroachment, and this constant never ending government expansion must stop. I see no difference between the government saying employers must provide abortions to employees and they cannot name their football team the Redskins.

Composed of people. That doesn't make it a person. In a perfect world, I would agree with you that the government needs to stay out of businesses.. ahem, business. When they are buying every politician in the country that means business needs to be redefined and looked at in a different manner. Or perhaps I'm looking at the wrong problem here, which is entirely possible. At any rate, all this does is set up one more precedent where the people of this country lose, and corporations and politicians win. I'm not going to claim to have all the answers, but IMO this is tantamount to religious discrimination and sets a VERY dangerous precedent.

Comment

Composed of people. That doesn't make it a person. In a perfect world, I would agree with you that the government needs to stay out of businesses.. ahem, business. When they are buying every politician in the country that means business needs to be redefined and looked at in a different manner. Or perhaps I'm looking at the wrong problem here, which is entirely possible. At any rate, all this does is set up one more precedent where the people of this country lose, and corporations and politicians win. I'm not going to claim to have all the answers, but IMO this is tantamount to religious discrimination and sets a VERY dangerous precedent.
        By definition a corporation is a group of people recognized as a single person under the law. So yes, legally a corporation is a person. You can't encroach of the rights of people because people in government are corrupt. You seem to keep using corporation as some sort of distant evil conglomerate and ignoring the fact that it's just people. People that exist in private business, in a free and open market. You have to see it that way, the left is into branding, that's their game. There is nothing to fear, I can't seem to understand what you're saying. So if me and a few other people team up, we lose our individual rights? Because since a corporation is by definition a person, legally, it should be entitled to the same rights. That's the way it has always been done. I see a few people in here seeming to think that isn't the way it has always been, when it has. The Obama administration simply attempted to test what was already in effect legally, and they lost. You seem to delve in and out of left talking points and strategies and I'm not quite sure you're meaning to.
        Last edited by CJ; 06-30-2014, 05:27 PM.
        "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
        "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

• Originally posted by bcoop View Post
          That is pretty ridiculous, and your view is skewed. Disallowing 4 of 20 birth control options now means their employees don't have a choice? Lmgdao.

DJ is spot on.

It's certainly a bit over the top, but does it not make sense? It's laughable that they are just going to pick and choose which aspects of a religion they want to follow because it is convenient. It's grandstanding at best, discrimination at worst.

Comment

By definition a corporation is a group of people recognized as a single person under the law. So yes, legally a corporation is a person.

I'm well aware of what the legal definition is. Worst decision the SC has made in my lifetime.

Comment

It's certainly a bit over the top, but does it not make sense? It's laughable that they are just going to pick and choose which aspects of a religion they want to follow because it is convenient. It's grandstanding at best, discrimination at worst.
              The constitution is pretty clear. Congress can make no law. This is a law passed unconstitutionally but it's still a law that infringes on the rights of religious liberty
              I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

I'm well aware of what the legal definition is. Worst decision the SC has made in my lifetime.
                It was already in effect, nothing changed. And the fact you see this as worse than universal socialized medicine is pretty disturbing to me. Because that fucking retarded ruling will affect you directly for the rest of your life.
                Last edited by CJ; 06-30-2014, 05:35 PM.
                "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

• I would love to sit down and have a conversation with a corporation.

Comment

• Originally posted by racrguy View Post
                    I would love to sit down and have a conversation with a corporation.
                    You are. It's call DFWMUSTANGS Inc.

Welcome Sean

Comment

I would love to sit down and have a conversation with a corporation.
                      You most certainly can, through it's legal department.

Comment

It was already in effect, nothing changed. And the fact you see this as worse than universal socialized medicine is pretty disturbing to me. Because that fucking retarded ruling will affect you directly for the rest of your life.

They both directly effect me for the rest of my life, and corporations being labeled as people and being able to outgun any citizen in terms of contributions effectively makes Average Joe Citizen non existent. Yes, I find that more disturbing than someone telling me I'm required to buy something I was already buying anyway, though both are at the top of the scale as far as bad decisions go.

Comment

• Originally posted by Unicorn Jeff View Post
                          You are. It's call DFWMUSTANGS Inc.

Welcome Sean
                          Thanks bro!

Comment

• Originally posted by 564826 View Post
                            But wait. I thought a corporation was a person. Can I see this person, can I jail this person if they break a law?

Not only that, but if you're soooooooo against contraceptives, why are you invested in companies that make them? Seems like a have cake/eat cake scenario.
                            Last edited by racrguy; 06-30-2014, 06:26 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by 564826 View Post
                              its
                              Originally posted by davbrucas
                              I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

But wait. I thought a corporation was a person.
                                It is by definition a person by law. The fact you're attempting to frame this debate as something other than law, when this discussion entirely revolves around law itself is disingenuous and my opinion comes off petty and desperate.

Comment

Working...
                                X