No announcement yet.

Suspect in Custody After Boston Police Evacuated Area Near Marathon Finish Line

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suspect in Custody After Boston Police Evacuated Area Near Marathon Finish Line

On the one-year anniversary of the Boston Marathon bombing, city police have evacuated the area near the finish line on Boylston Street because of unattended backpacks:

Police clearing finish line after 2 suspicious backpacks were found at finish line on Boylston St. Area in lockdown http://t.co/yiPKvDtdq8—
    Scott Sullivan (@SullyBunz) April 15, 2014

This video is from WHDH reporter Sarah French, who writes: “Police shut down Boylston after barefoot male walks toward finish line screaming “Boston Strong” carrying a huge black backpack.”

As of 8pm Eastern time, there was still no “all clear” given:

Bomb squad tells CBS News no all clear given after investigating unattended backpacks left at marathon finish line. http://t.co/UOIuS5ACwW—
    CBS Evening News (@CBSEveningNews) April 16, 2014

This is another video from the scene, via WHDH’s Susan Tran, who writes: “Photog got video of bomb tech moving in to examine unattended backpack at finish line”:

The Boston Police Department is providing updates:

#BPDPublicSafetyAlert: Boylston St has been closed & MBTA Green Line service temporarily suspended. Community members asked to avoid area.

— Boston Police Dept. (@bostonpolice) April 15, 2014

#BPDPublicSafetyAlert: #BPD Bomb Squad still on scene in the area of Marathon Finish Line investigating call for 2 unattended backpacks.

#BPDMediaAdvisory: For officer safety – media outlets are discouraged from showing any live video of backpacks found near Finish Line.

A suspect is now in custody:

#BPDPublicSafetyAlert: #BPD confirming a male suspect in custody in connection to the unattended backpacks found at the Finish Line.

— Boston Police Dept. (@bostonpolice) April 16, 2014

Update:

UPDATE: BOSTON – cmd rpts that @BostonPolice will be detonating device with water cannon soon. (2020) #PFFM_ALERT

— Fire Fighters of MA (@THE_PFFM) April 16, 2014

Update II: This is the suspect in custody:

Shot of man who was taken into custody wearing all black, a black veil prior to being taken in, and no shoes. @NECNpic.twitter.com/8QOY4M1Tc0

— Kathryn Sotnik (@kathrynsotnik) April 16, 2014

Update III: A backpack has been detonated:

Bomb squad just blew up the suspicious backpack

— Ryan Schulteis (@RyanSchulteis) April 16, 2014

Huge boom!

Bomb squad detonated backpack. Knew it was coming, but we all still jumped at sound and rattle. #Nerves. @NECN

— Ally Donnelly (@AllyNECN) April 16, 2014

Here is video of the detonation:

Update IV: Per Boston.com: “It’s presumed the bags were detonated as a precautionary measure. So far, there is no evidence to indicate they contained explosives.”

Update V: Boston police have carried out a controlled detonation on the second bag:

Another boom at the finish line

Engine 33 now leaving the scene. Appears this threat here at finish line is over. People out on streets again. @NECN

— Kathryn Sotnik (@kathrynsotnik) April 16, 2014

Get the most current sports news, GIFs, photos and rumours from The Big Lead, always racking up the top sports news headlines.
    I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Typical response after a major event happens.

9/11 - now be overly cautious about flying, ignore most other things

Boston - now we might need to worry about sporting events outside of the super bowel, or maybe just a few of them.

California power station - hey we just realized that our electric grid might be vulnerable, might need to look at that now since one got shot up

Typical response. They will be paranoid as hell at the marathon for a few years and shut it down several times for backpacks being set down, but nothing will probably happen. Terrorists are busy looking for another easy target that we are not paying attention to. The hit the same place or type of place more than once sometimes, but it is not like they have few options to choose from. Finding backpacks that had nothing in them isnt exactly a breaking news story.
    I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

Originally posted by LANTIRN View Post
      super bowel
      Everyone needs to be cautious after eating at Buffalo Wild Wings!
      Originally posted by Buzzo
      Some dudes jump out of airplanes, I fuck hookers without condoms.

sigpic

Comment

Evidently he put out pressure cookers full of confetti and is claiming "performance art.'
        I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

Originally posted by crapstang View Post
          Everyone needs to be cautious after eating at Buffalo Wild Wings!
          I suck at spelling, but even though you were trying to be sarcastic that is a very true statement for any of the food at that "restaurant".
          I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

Working...
          X