Bill to make Congress travel coach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bill to make Congress travel coach

WASHINGTON, D.C. – A newly proposed law would require members of Congress and their staffs to fly coach whenever they’re flying on the taxpayers’ dime.

From the Washington Times:

H.R. 4632, known as the “If Our Military Has to Fly Coach Then So Should Congress Act,” sets the same limits on congressional trips that govern most other government travel: Members and their staff cannot use taxpayer funds to buy first-class tickets unless they need to accommodate a disability or other medical need.

The bill is something of a rarity because it’s co-sponsored by two Republican lawmakers – Reps. Walter Jones and Paul Gosar – and two Democrats – Reps. John Barrow and Raul Ruiz.

According to an analysis by an Arizona news station, flying roundtrip coach from Phoenix to D.C. is less than half of the cost of first-class travel. It’s reasonable to assume the same cost savings would be true for most round trips.

And considering that lawmakers make frequent trips from their district to the nation’s capital, cutting those travel costs in half could generate some decent savings for taxpayers (which Congress could then waste in more imaginative ways).

Rep. Gosar – one of the bill’s co-sponsors – explained it this way: “A little here, a little there and all the sudden you’ve got a billion dollars. You add a billion here and a billion there, and you got tens of billions of dollars.”

Tackling the nation’s $17 trillion debt by cutting air fare expenses is like trying to pay the mortgage by picking up pop cans along the highway. But as they say, every little bit helps, which is why most Americans would probably support H.R. 4632 – and why this bill will almost certainly die in committee.

If the bill does pass, however, expect a sharp increase in the number of Congress members who are suddenly diagnosed with medical conditions severe enough to require travel in the roomy comfort of first class – but not serious enough to interfere with their golf swing.

Authored by Ben Velderma
    I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

I love this country.

Comment

That's awesome. I'd love to sit next to a politician in Coach. I wouldn't shut up. And I NEVER talk on planes, unless I'm requesting another adult beverage.
      Originally posted by BradM
      But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
      Originally posted by Leah
      In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
        That's awesome. I'd love to sit next to a politician in Coach. I wouldn't shut up. And I NEVER talk on planes, unless I'm requesting another adult beverage.

I bumped into Laurence Hirsch Silberman at the Juneau airport and had a conversation with him for a bit. Really nice guy. He was heavily involved in Watergate, which I've read about extensively. That was a cool unexpected experience.

Comment

Most of those fuckers fly corporate jets and don't even take the airlines..
          07 GT500
          05 SRT10
          88 turbocoupe T-bird
          93 Cobra
          86 coupe
          Ducati 848

Comment

Originally posted by mk5.0 View Post
            Most of those fuckers fly corporate jets and don't even take the airlines..
            No Falcon or Gulfstream no care.
            Originally posted by Buzzo
            Some dudes jump out of airplanes, I fuck hookers without condoms.

sigpic

Comment

. Gosar – one of the bill’s co-sponsors – explained it this way: “A little here, a little there and all the sudden you’ve got a billion dollars. You add a billion here and a billion there, and you got tens of billions of dollars.”
              Sounds easy enough

Comment

Originally posted by crapstang View Post
                No Falcon or Gulfstream no care.
                You mean Global or Challenger
                Last edited by 2011GT; 05-15-2014, 10:33 AM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Majority of Congress Members are Millionaires.

I don't think they give a damn.

Comment

Originally posted by diablo rojo View Post
                    Sounds easy enough
                    What do you expect? He doesn't know how to say, "all of a sudden."
                    ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

If I were a typical member of congress and this was the rule I could probably figure out an itinerary that'd make it virtually impossible to fly commercially. Then again if I were a lawmaker I'd probably use Amtrak in an effort to make rail traffic relevant for the rest of the country.

Comment

Originally posted by BP View Post
                        If I were a typical member of congress and this was the rule I could probably figure out an itinerary that'd make it virtually impossible to fly commercially. Then again if I were a lawmaker I'd probably use Amtrak in an effort to make rail traffic relevant for the rest of the country.
                        You'd only ride Amtrak if they were kicking back money for your participation
                        Originally posted by PGreenCobra
                        I can't get over the fact that you get to go live the rest of your life, knowing that someone made a Halloween costume out of you. LMAO!!
                        Originally posted by Trip McNeely
                        Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy
                        dont downshift!!
                        Go do a whooly in front of a Peterbilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Sgt Beavis View Post
                          Having a networth of a million doesn't really make you rich. Considering the average age in congress is 57 I would hope at least half of them are worth a million when looking at networth.

Comment

Originally posted by BP View Post
                            Meh.. Maybe they should all ride Amtrak since it is so heavily subsidized by the government anyways. Like in the billions.

Comment

Originally posted by 2011GT View Post
                              You mean Golbal or Challenger
                              G650>global
                              G280>challenger
                              07 GT500
                              05 SRT10
                              88 turbocoupe T-bird
                              93 Cobra
                              86 coupe
                              Ducati 848

Comment