"Pale Blue Dot"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Pale Blue Dot"

"We succeeded in taking that picture [from deep space], and, if you look at it, you see a dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever lived, lived out their lives. The aggregate of all our joys and sufferings, thousands of confident religions, ideologies and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilizations, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every hopeful child, every mother and father, every inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every superstar, every supreme leader, every saint and sinner in the history of our species, lived there on a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam.

The earth is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena. Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors so that in glory and in triumph they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot. Think of the endless cruelties visited by the inhabitants of one corner of the dot on scarcely distinguishable inhabitants of some other corner of the dot. How frequent their misunderstandings, how eager they are to kill one another, how fervent their hatreds. Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity -- in all this vastness -- there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. It is up to us. It's been said that astronomy is a humbling, and I might add, a character-building experience. To my mind, there is perhaps no better demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world. To me, it underscores our responsibility to deal more kindly and compassionately with one another and to preserve and cherish that pale blue dot, the only home we've ever known."
    The richest man in Babylon

I'll drink to that.

Comment

It's from Cosmos. I really enjoy pieces that are able to put things in a perspective that makes every problem we have insignificant in the scheme go things.

Comment

Originally posted by racrguy View Post
        It's from Cosmos. I really enjoy pieces that are able to put things in a perspective that makes every problem we have insignificant in the scheme go things.
        It's actually a book by Carl Sagan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pale_Blue_Dot_(book)

A surprisingly easy read considering it was written by an astrophysicist.

Comment

Aah, I heard it on Cosmos, it's no surprise given who's done the remake.

Comment

As I kid some of Sagan's work was on my parents book shelf. I remember my mom telling my dad not to read it in front of the kids because it taught evil ideologies such as evolution and the Big Bang. Very conservative Christian household.
            The richest man in Babylon

Comment

I was sitting in the airport last week waiting on a flight. My flight the day before had been cancelled, so I had been booked for late this day. There were all of 4 international flights out of this airport a day, so it was pretty competitive to get rebooked in a decent fashion. Flights were all oversold and a lot of standbys weren't getting flights. I watched as these people elbowed at the counter, argued with the airline reps, etc. as if trying to convince these ladies that THEY were that just so important person that they had to make the flight. It seemed they really believed it.

There was the lady that was leading a "business conference tomorrow morning". Or the "marketing director for an international firm". I brooded to my wife how that conference is probably over Skype with her knitting group for Etsy projects. Or the man was the ONLY marketing person at his 14 person firm that operates "internationally" out of two cities. I may have uttered "insufferable cunts" a dozen or so times, and hell, I had my ticket good to go.

But, I confess, I believe it a significant amount of the time. I think we all do; it's likely a survival instinct. I had that emo/existential moment thinking that none of us are near as important as was being played on this stage.

This reminds me of and reinforces that.

Comment

Every once in a while I'll take a shit that does the same thing.

'Looking down with my hand on the flusher thinking' "There is no God."
                "Any dog under 50lbs is a cat and cats are pointless." - Ron Swanson

Comment

Originally posted by jdgregory84 View Post
                  every once in a while i'll take a shit that does the same thing.

'looking down with my hand on the flusher thinking' "there is no god."
                  lolz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X