Radioactive material stolen in Mexico: officials

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radioactive material stolen in Mexico: officials

Mexico City (AFP) - The Mexican government warned Friday that a vehicle containing radioactive material has been stolen, and issued a dire warning to the thieves against taking the potentially deadly material from its protective container.

Federal civil defense officials said the vehicle had been transporting deadly iridium-192, a radioactive substance used in making some industrial products.

The substance "can be dangerous for human health if removed from its container," the officials said in a statement, adding that the material can be lethal even if handled for only a brief time.

The theft in Mexico state prompted officials to issue an alert throughout the capital region and in neighboring states.

It recalled a similar incident in December, when thieves stole a cargo truck containing highly radioactive cobalt-60, apparently unaware of the deadly cargo within the vehicle.

Authorities ultimately arrested several suspects in that case after recovering the lethal material.

I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Didn't this exact same thing happen a year or two ago

Comment

Is this what happens when a mexican Doc Brown can't find Libyans to steal plutonium from?
      Scientists do not coddle ideas. They crash test them. They run them into a brick wall at 60 miles per hour and then examine the pieces.

If the idea is sound, the pieces will be that of the wall.

Comment

What do they want with it?

Comment

Originally posted by Strychnine View Post
          Didn't this exact same thing happen a year or two ago
          The one I was thinking of was the cobalt-60 theft mentioned in the article.

Comment

Originally posted by SMKR View Post
            What do they want with it?
            Dirty bomb
            I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

Working...
            X