No announcement yet.

FCC Chairman's Proposal Will Radically Change The Rules Of The Internet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The FCC finally did something right. Amazing.
    sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Magnus View Post
      The FCC finally did something right. Amazing.
      The government turns almost everything they touch to shit. Anything that was halfway working before pretty much stops once they get their hands on it. The internet will be the same. In a few years those of us who have been saying this about this new ruling or reclassification or whatever it is they are calling it will unfortunately be proven right. I hope I am wrong, but short of the military and CIA I cannot think of much the federal government has gotten right or made better.
      I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

• Originally posted by LANTIRN View Post
        The internet will be the same.
        That's you opinion, and you're entitled to it.
        sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by LANTIRN View Post
          I hope I am wrong, but short of the military and CIA I cannot think of much the federal government has gotten right or made better.
          We spend $630 billion a year on our military. That's with a fleet of B-2s, F-16s, F-22s, 12 active carrier groups and who knows how many subs already produced. I'm not sure they've gotten it right. Especially since we can't even use most of it.

The CIA is supposed to work in secret, the fact that we know what they are doing and they have to testify in front of congress tells me they aren't doing a good job.

The only thing our government is really good at is spending money. Sure they've kept us from being invaded for a long time and we've made lots of middle eastern countries wealthy but pretty much anything the government gets involved with results in massive amounts of paperwork, stifled technology and higher prices for the people that actually pay for it.

Comment

• I think some people here aren't really understanding what this is actually about.
            sigpic

Comment

I think some people here aren't really understanding what this is actually about.
              None of us do, fully. Welcome to the club.

Comment

I think some people here aren't really understanding what this is actually about.
                From what I have heard only 5 or so people have read the 300+ page bill. A lot of crap will be stuffed in there.

Comment

• Here is some summary.

With the FCC set to vote this week on new rules governing the Internet, CNET breaks down everything you need to know about complicated, but critical, issue.

WRX

Comment

• Sure, we don't know what exactly is in the bill. However we know what it does. The internet is now a "public utility" and the FCC has 100% oversight. So that group of 5 (the vote was 3/2 btw so completely partisan) will get to decide what fair access is and how to punish people that don't play along with their rules.

Just as a hypothetical situation look at Fox news and MSNBC. Fox has 9x the viewers as MSNBC and a lot of that traffic is streamed over the internet. Someone with the FCC may be able to decide that it's not fair to let Fox have that much more influence so they redirect traffic to MSNBC instead.

Or hey Texas is using way more bandwidth than California, lets shut their access off for a few hours while Obama talks about gun control to even things out.

Sure it sounds far fetched but before Obama I didn't think the IRS would be used to influence elections. Anytime there are presidential appointees in control of something I get nervous.

Comment

• Originally posted by BP View Post
                      Sure, we don't know what exactly is in the bill. However we know what it does. The internet is now a "public utility" and the FCC has 100% oversight. So that group of 5 (the vote was 3/2 btw so completely partisan) will get to decide what fair access is and how to punish people that don't play along with their rules.

Just as a hypothetical situation look at Fox news and MSNBC. Fox has 9x the viewers as MSNBC and a lot of that traffic is streamed over the internet. Someone with the FCC may be able to decide that it's not fair to let Fox have that much more influence so they redirect traffic to MSNBC instead.

Or hey Texas is using way more bandwidth than California, lets shut their access off for a few hours while Obama talks about gun control to even things out.

Sure it sounds far fetched but before Obama I didn't think the IRS would be used to influence elections. Anytime there are presidential appointees in control of something I get nervous.

Comment

sigpic

Comment

Sure, we don't know what exactly is in the bill. However we know what it does. The internet is now a "public utility" and the FCC has 100% oversight. So that group of 5 (the vote was 3/2 btw so completely partisan) will get to decide what fair access is and how to punish people that don't play along with their rules.

Originally posted by big_tiger View Post
                          Originally posted by Magnus View Post
                          I had to quote all of this in one place. Too funny not to do so.

Comment

• sad thing is, none of us really know how this works, some of you just have more faith in government than others.
                            ازدهار رأسه برعشيت

Comment

• We're not in North Korea, so as far as internet usage goes, I have high hopes.
                              sigpic

Comment

We're not in North Korea, so as far as internet usage goes, I have high hopes.
                                did you have high hopes for obamacare? i feel like im being too pessimistic sometimes about the future of our country. sad thing is, i dont think i really am, im just a realist. i just dont see how people think giving the fcc control over the internet is a good thing, I can see how classifying it as a utility would be beneficial though. I just know what our government really wants out of the deal. if you genuinely think the government wants to help you are being way too naive.
                                ازدهار رأسه برعشيت

Comment

Working...
                                X