SCOTUS Rules Same Sex Marriage is legal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
    Alluded to it but it was never put into the law and so, it doesn't exist. The freedom of religion was to prevent a Church of England from the federal government but it didn't prohibit the states from doing it. Or counties. There was to be no freedom FROM religion as you can't keep an idea from someone, it's impossible.
    Oh ok, the founding fathers totally left the door open for a nice old fashioned theocracy.
    Originally posted by lincolnboy
    After watching Games of Thrones, makes me glad i was not born in those years.

Comment

Originally posted by jdgregory84 View Post
      So you're just giving your own bigoted opinion, but do acknowledge that marriage is a legally binding contract and not a religiously binding contract?
      Marriage is a legally binding contract because government made it so. Was it a legally binding contract two thousand years ago?

Government created this entire problem. And now I have to laugh at people who think government has done something by "solving" a problem it created to begin with. In reality what they have done is yet again chipped away at the most important thing we have in this country which is freedom.
      Originally posted by racrguy
      What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
      Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncojohnny View Post
        Marriage is a legally binding contract because government made it so. Was it a legally binding contract two thousand years ago?

Government created this entire problem. And now I have to laugh at people who think government has done something by "solving" a problem it created to begin with. In reality what they have done is yet again chipped away at the most important thing we have in this country which is freedom.
        So giving more people the freedom to marry another consenting adult is taking away freedom?

If government made it a legally binding contract, would you say that it stole the sanctity of marriage? Therefore taking away the defense of "it'll ruin the sanctity of marriage"? Or are you just butt-hurt that you just lost a bit of say in what somebody can or can't do?
        "Any dog under 50lbs is a cat and cats are pointless." - Ron Swanson

Comment

So giving more people the freedom to marry another consenting adult is taking away freedom?

If government made it a legally binding contract, would you say that it stole the sanctity of marriage? Therefore taking away the defense of "it'll ruin the sanctity of marriage"? Or are you just butt-hurt that you just lost a bit of say in what somebody can or can't do?
          No, the way in which the court justified its decision is taking away freedom. Scalia makes it pretty plain as to why. Maybe you didn't read it or maybe you really are only qualified to work at a gym, I don't know and really don't care to be honest.
          What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?

Comment

No, the way in which the court justified its decision is taking away freedom. Scalia makes it pretty plain as to why. Maybe you didn't read it or maybe you really are only qualified to work at a gym, I don't know and really don't care to be honest.
            Lol!

Comment

Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
              Alluded to it but it was never put into the law and so, it doesn't exist. The freedom of religion was to prevent a Church of England from the federal government but it didn't prohibit the states from doing it. Or counties. There was to be no freedom FROM religion as you can't keep an idea from someone, it's impossible.
              It's in the first amendment. "Congress shall make no law regarding the establishment of religion."
              ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

What rights have you lost this week?

Comment

Yeah BJ is off his rocker on this one

Comment

"He notes that all the justices graduated from Harvard or Yale Law School, eight grew up on the coasts, and that not one is an evangelical Christian or a Protestant, religions that make up significant chunks of the American population."

His only job is to make sure that laws being made are supported by the Constitution of the U.S. Only job. His job is to not give his own opinion on matters.

The first amendment of the constitution clearly states that laws cannot reflect religious views. That would make his statement invalid saying that the judges should take into consideration the views of the nations Christians who's only argument is "The bible(a religious document) defines marriage as being between a man and a woman." According to the Constitution, the bible can't be used to make Americas laws.

Do you even lift bro?

Comment

He's just angry you haven't answered his proposal yet.

Comment

Originally posted by 71chevellejohn View Post
                        He's just angry you haven't answered his proposal yet.
                        Even the guy in front of me at chipotle said no. It's harder to have a same sex marriage than you'd think.

In all honesty though, I'm not angry. I just don't get why if something doesn't go somebodies way, that person then thinks that they're being attacked. Everybody has gotten so defensive over the past decade it seems.

Here's a good Q&A on how Gay Marriages will affect heterosexuals in the future.
                        In light of the recent ruling, we have updated the following guide, originally published in June 2013: In case you missed it, or just saw people screaming about it on Facebook, the U.S. Supreme Court just made the final decision legalizing gay marriage nationw

Comment

Originally posted by YALE View Post
                          It's in the first amendment. "Congress shall make no law regarding the establishment of religion."
                          Right, if it's not congress, it's not a violation. Plain language of the document. Like I said, states and cities could do their own religions as they did on the founding. You had cities that were specific faiths that were pretty much institutionalized. Still, there is no freedom FROM religion, Congress just can't make a Federal Church and make you worship.

Read the writings of the founders and the simple words on parchment.
                          I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

His job is to not give his own opinion on matters.
                            Nevermind, you ARE only qualified to work at a gym. Thank you for not keeping us in suspense on that question.

As for "things not going my way". I'm curious how that is when I am fully in favor of gay marriage?

*mic drop*

Make sure and clean the ball sweat off the seat of that shoulder press machine, bro

Comment

Nevermind, you ARE only qualified to work at a gym. Thank you for not keeping us in suspense on that question.

As for "things not going my way". I'm curious how that is when I am fully in favor of gay marriage?

*mic drop*

Make sure and clean the ball sweat off the seat of that shoulder press machine, bro
                              Haven't worked in a gym in nearly three years big guy. You also failed to answer my question of what rights you've lost this week and stoop to insults because you can't find any evidence of worth to base your side of the issue on. Good job dude. At least we all know a little more about you now.

Comment

Haven't worked in a gym in nearly three years big guy. You also failed to answer my question of what rights you've lost this week and stoop to insults because you can't find any evidence of worth to base your side of the issue on. Good job dude. At least we all know a little more about you now.
                                Workout fag boy!

Comment

Working...
                                X