Yoga Classes Canceled Because of ‘Oppression, Cultural Genocide’

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yoga Classes Canceled Because of ‘Oppression, Cultural Genocide’

“The day yoga needs a safe space is the day parody meets reality. That day has come.”

I couldn't have said it better myself.

Here is an excerpt from the University of Ottawa Student Federation representative:

“I think that our centre agreed … that while yoga is a really great idea, accessible and great for students, that there are cultural issues of implication involved in the practice,” the response read. “I have heard from a couple students and volunteers that feel uncomfortable with how we are doing yoga while we claim to be inclusive at the same time.”

Explaining that yoga has a fraught history, the representative continued.

“Yoga has been under a lot of controversy lately due to how it is being practiced and what practices from what cultures (which are often sacred spiritual practices) they are being taken from,” the e-mail read. “Many of these cultures are cultures that have experienced oppression, cultural genocide and diasporas due to colonialism and western supremacy, and we need to be mindful of this and how we express ourselves and while practicing yoga.”

“For the moment we would just like to pause the programming also because we are very short on staff and do not have the capacity to do this as programming,” the representative wrote. “But in the future (after we have reflected on which kinds of exercise are more inclusive for our centre).” The e-mail concluded: “It is not something that is easy to explain. It is a sensitive topic for some people that use our Centre and I would just like to respect that for the moment.”

Full article here: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ural-genocide/
    When the government pays, the government controls.

I like how casually they gloss over the term "western supremacy" like it wasn't based on merit and ability.
    Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Agree completely, they should take up powerlifting.
      Originally posted by racrguy
      What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
      Originally posted by racrguy
      Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Jumpin Jesus on a pogo stick! These fucking crybabies will find a way to fuck up anything! They need to take up shotgun barrel swallowing.
        "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

It sounds like a BS excuse for shutting down from no staff.

Comment

and yet we have a black history month and you can major in African American studies at most major universities...

Comment

Originally posted by juiceweezl View Post
              and yet we have a black history month
              Yeah but it's the shortest month so it's actually racist in of itself.

Comment

In other words... "this place isn't making any money because you hippy dippy mother fuckers don't want to pay, and/or my hippy dippy employees are whiny titty babies, but I want to get my 15 seconds of internet fame, so I'm going to say I'm closing down because of micro-aggressions, brah"
                http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

No surprise.. It's the University of Ottawa.

Comment

Working...
                  X