X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A date that will live on in infamy

G'Day Mate

Some then and now overlays

The Mahan-class destroyer USS Shaw explodes after the attack on Pearl Harbor.

Defenders on Ford Island watch for planes during the surprise attack on Pearl Harbor.

The battleship USS California burns in the foreground as the battleship USS Arizona burns in the background after the initial attack on Pearl Harbor.

Defenders on Ford Island watch for planes.

Sailors on Ford Island look on as the Mahan-class destroyer USS Shaw explodes.

A view of the historic Ford Island control tower from 1941. The tower was once used to guide airplanes at the airfield on the island. It is now an aviation library.

The battleship USS Arizona burns during the attack, as viewed from Ford Island.

Hangar 6 on Ford Island stands badly damaged after the attack.

Comment

Those are some amazing pictures, Matt.
      There is something very humbling about flying around Pearl for a hour-plus in a helicopter. You can begin to picture all of those ships lined up, all of the personnel going about their normal routine on a sleepy Sunday morning. And then you see The Arizona. The horror that they must have faced starts to sink in. And yet, within minutes, they were fighting back. Sleepy, hungover, everyone...they got to action and fought back.
      "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

My grandfather was there. He flew a PBY in those days and was sent out repeatedly to find the Jap fleet.

I've been there a few times during the time I was in the Navy (eight I think; 7 times we moored on Ford Island). I wish I could've seen it from the air like helo sailor. I think everyone that gets a chance should go at least once. I myself, cannot go again. If I see another Jap tourist cheering at the Arizona memorial like I see Muslims cheering terrorism these days, I'm going to end up in prison. It's sickening how some act.

I wish we had the fortitude in our country these days to treat terrorists like we treated the Japanese for this atrocity.

Comment

Originally posted by AnthonyS View Post
          Jap tourist cheering at the Arizona memorial
          Does that really happen?
          Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Originally posted by svo855 View Post
            Does that really happen?
            Go see for yourself.

Comment

I have only been to Oahu once and it was overrun with Japanese. Pearl Harbour was the place the was curiously devoid of them. I don't see how any intelligent person from Japan could ever cheer the event, it was a single all in bet against an opponent that the had no chance of beating after the first hand played out.
              Originally posted by racrguy
              What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
              Originally posted by racrguy
              Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

God bless those who serve and those who gave their last full measure RIP.
                1990 GT

Comment

Cool overlays.
                  "Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Comment

Go see for yourself.
                    I will never go to Hawaii so I thought that it would be a good idea to ask someone who has been there.
                    Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Originally posted by svo855 View Post
                      I will never go to Hawaii so I thought that it would be a good idea to ask someone who has been there.
                      Ive been there and I did not witness any Japanese visitors cheering at the memorial.

Comment

My grandfather was there. He flew a PBY in those days and was sent out repeatedly to find the Jap fleet.

I've been there a few times during the time I was in the Navy (eight I think; 7 times we moored on Ford Island). I wish I could've seen it from the air like helo sailor. I think everyone that gets a chance should go at least once. I myself, cannot go again. If I see another Jap tourist cheering at the Arizona memorial like I see Muslims cheering terrorism these days, I'm going to end up in prison. It's sickening how some act.

I wish we had the fortitude in our country these days to treat terrorists like we treated the Japanese for this atrocity.
                        Agreed. When I was there this time last year I had to tell some disrespectful Japs that if they did not shut their damn mouths I was going to shut it for them. About 50 people started clapping after I said that.

Comment

I'm a pretty calm and level headed person, but seeing the Japanese tourist jabbering away when I was there brought up some deep down inside feelings of anger towards them. Luckily there weren't any on our boat out to the memorial.

Comment

Working...
                          X