Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That was fucking awesome!
    Originally posted by Silverback
    Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

• [screams in Spanish]

LMAO

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by jewozzy View Post
          Obviously, pill mill doctors are trash and some doctors are in it for the cash and not because they truly want to help people. I don't need to explain the whole "few bad apples" in a profession scenario that Gasser64 is pushing. I personally don't see robots doing any kind of doctors work for any of our lifetimes but could be wrong.
          Its well on its way. Lawyers are also on the chopping block, thankfully. Its not that all doctors and lawyers (and many, many other jobs) will be completely gone. They'll just see a 99% reduction in their numbers. There will still be that oddball case every few years, that just needs the human touch. But it'll be real uncommon. A computer program can be a better doctor than any human ever could. You can program it with all of the medical knowledge of mankind, whereas a human doctor may be able to contain 0.01% of that if he's damn knowledgeable.

So then you can ask the computer program what is wrong with this person, or to suggest the best treatment, and it will always give the perfect answer without fail. It won't even kill 1 person let alone the 10's of thousands that doctors do. As for what you're thinking you won't see in your lifetime, its already here. Work out a few bugs, and start sellin' em! We can save millions, nay, billions after we fire all these surgeons!

Currently, as you see in the vid, the surgeons are teaching the machines. But there are only so many types of surgeries, and only so many variations of that surgery. At the same time, the robot can actually learn on its own from surgeries its done in the past to help it perfect future surgeries. So while the robot isn't doing it 100% by itself right now, I'd still say that they will be sometime inside of 10 years.

WH

Comment

• Originally posted by Gasser64 View Post
            Its well on its way. Lawyers are also on the chopping block, thankfully. Its not that all doctors and lawyers (and many, many other jobs) will be completely gone. They'll just see a 99% reduction in their numbers. There will still be that oddball case every few years, that just needs the human touch. But it'll be real uncommon. A computer program can be a better doctor than any human ever could. You can program it with all of the medical knowledge of mankind, whereas a human doctor may be able to contain 0.01% of that if he's damn knowledgeable.

So then you can ask the computer program what is wrong with this person, or to suggest the best treatment, and it will always give the perfect answer without fail. It won't even kill 1 person let alone the 10's of thousands that doctors do. As for what you're thinking you won't see in your lifetime, its already here. Work out a few bugs, and start sellin' em! We can save millions, nay, billions after we fire all these surgeons!

Currently, as you see in the vid, the surgeons are teaching the machines. But there are only so many types of surgeries, and only so many variations of that surgery. At the same time, the robot can actually learn on its own from surgeries its done in the past to help it perfect future surgeries. So while the robot isn't doing it 100% by itself right now, I'd still say that they will be sometime inside of 10 years.

Haha, this is one of the most ignorant posts I have ever read (and that is saying allot for this site.) We can't even get self driving cars to "not kill people." The fact that you think all of medicine comes down to a series of algorithms proves your complete lack of knowledge on the subject. And if you are glad to get rid of lawyers and would rather your fate be left up to a machine to decide with its infallibility (cause hey, if its perfect then no jury, no argument, just let the computer decide your guilt), I fear for the human race.
            1965 Ford Falcon Pro-Touring Project
            TCI F/R Suspension, 3V-4.6 & TR3560, LT III Wheels

sigpic
            Work In Progress

Comment

• Originally posted by Gasser64 View Post

Comment

• Occasional Cortex better be careful, or the establishment's gonna suicide her before she even takes her House seat.

She's nuttier than a fruit cake, but there's a couple things that the hard right and far left can agree on.

Comment

• Edit: will save the BS for another thread.

No way 100% automated surgeries are happening widespread in 10 years.
                  Last edited by Strychnine; 12-17-2018, 05:30 PM.

Comment

• Researchers at Children’s National Health System developed the Smart Tissue Autonomous Robot (STAR) for performing autonomous soft-tissue surgeries.

What’s known
                    Robotic surgery has been increasingly adopted for a variety of procedures. However, conventional robotic surgery is still controlled by individual surgeons. One way to avoid variabilities and improve outcomes is to automate entire procedures or parts of procedures. Thus far, autonomous robotic surgery has been limited to parts of the body with rigid anatomy, because of the unpredictability of soft tissues. These structures can move in unexpected ways during cutting, suturing or cauterizing. No autonomous robotic systems for soft-tissue procedures have been developed due to technology lags, including a lack of vision systems that can distinguish and track tissue in dynamic surgical environments, and intelligent algorithms.

What’s new
                    A team of researchers led by Peter C.W. Kim, M.D., Ph.D., Vice President, and Axel Krieger, Ph.D., Assistant Professor of the Sheikh Zayed Institute for Pediatric Surgical Innovation at Children’s National Health System, developed the Smart Tissue Autonomous Robot (STAR) for performing autonomous soft-tissue surgeries. The researchers tested its capability in three areas: Suturing a cut along a length of suspended intestine, suturing together two pieces of intestine removed from an experimental model and suturing together two pieces of intestine inside a living experimental model. The autonomous robot’s performance was measurably better in some respects, compared with surgeons trained for at least seven years performing the same procedure manually or with conventional robotic techniques. STAR’s stitches were more consistent and less prone to leaks. This demonstration of supervised autonomous surgical tasks by a robot promises that surgeons can improve their technical and decision-making skills in the not-too-distant future, working collaboratively with intelligent robots to improve clinical outcomes.

Questions for future research
                    Q: Can autonomous robots be used for soft-tissue procedures more complicated than suturing?
                    Q: Can this system be miniaturized for complex procedures taking place in a confined space, such as suturing together blood vessels?
                    Q: How can we make more intelligent robots available to all surgeons?

Source: “Supervised autonomous robotic soft tissue surgery.” Shademan A., R.S. Decker, J.D. Opfermann, S. Leonard, A. Krieger and P.C.W. Kim. Published by Science Translational Medicine on May 4, 2016.
                    Whos your Daddy?

Comment

• Originally posted by Strychnine View Post
                      Edit: will save the BS for another thread.

You have been fined 1 credit for a violation of the verbal morality statute.

Comment

• Originally posted by lowfast View Post
                        Haha, this is one of the most ignorant posts I have ever read (and that is saying allot for this site.) We can't even get self driving cars to "not kill people." The fact that you think all of medicine comes down to a series of algorithms proves your complete lack of knowledge on the subject. And if you are glad to get rid of lawyers and would rather your fate be left up to a machine to decide with its infallibility (cause hey, if its perfect then no jury, no argument, just let the computer decide your guilt), I fear for the human race.

Irony. You have no idea what you're talking about. Its pretty clear you do little to nothing to keep up with where technology is headed in the near future, I'd advise you to just do a cursory google search as well as watch a few youtube videos. The fact that you said I think that all of medicine comes down to a series of algorithms proves your complete lack of understanding of my post, or the subject. Go back and reread. Also see post 21129.

Originally posted by Strychnine View Post
                        No way 100% automated surgeries are happening widespread in 10 years.
                        See post 21129. Ok so if I'm a little off then what... 12 years? 14? You'll be getting surgery done by a robot, no question.
                        WH

Comment

• If you think a computer can do the job of a good lawyer, you are on a whole new level of retarded.
                          Originally posted by racrguy
                          What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
                          Originally posted by racrguy
                          Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

• Its the same thing with cooking. Can't remember the name of the company... some company in japan is getting world renowned chefs to teach their robot to cook meals the same way they do. So the computer is taught by the best, then replicates that every time. Once it learns, it never makes a mistake. Because it already made every mistake it possibly could, and knows to never do that again. With a perfect memory. It can never forget those mistakes so it will never make them again.

It sat there and played millions of games of starcraft. Losing most of them, but learning. Until now, it never loses.

AI beats Go champion:

WH

Comment

• Originally posted by Broncojohnny View Post
                              If you think a computer can do the job of a good lawyer, you are on a whole new level of retarded.
                              Well then I guess its a good thing I never said it could, huh? Also, define a "good" lawyer. What about all the ones that are not so good? I notice you didn't mention those.

Notice, he got about half of the parking tickets dismissed. For free. (to the user) 16 million dollars saved. Those are what you call real results. Another thing you seem to be forgetting is that what we're seeing today when it comes to these things, is version 1. Think of how it will be when they're on version 10. Or 20. Or 50.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbXM-aNRNlY&t=10s
                              Last edited by Gasser64; 12-17-2018, 08:21 PM.
                              WH

Comment

• Originally posted by jewozzy View Post
                                Yeah no shit, I never cared about the grape story till now. Wtf, I am not ok with a robot doing a surgery on me. Call me old fashioned, but I would rather a drunk egomaniac do it lol.

Comment

Working...
                                X