• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How did we do it before 1913?

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott Mc View Post
      How did we do it before 1913?
      No clue, that's why I ask. I would guess that a portion of state's taxes went to the Feds??
      G'Day Mate

Comment

• They taxed imports with tariffs.

Comment

• Originally posted by Grimpala View Post
          Just to stir the pot and play devil's advocate. (disclaimer: I don't like paying taxes any more than the next guy)

How are we supposed to support a military, or the few federal gov't departments and programs that we actually need without taxes?
          Mostly high tariffs on imports.

"...the advent of the income tax prompted some congressmen to note that this tax was designed not principally for revenue — the U.S. government had always had plenty of money from tariffs — but to manipulate the American people and their choices in the market. “The character of the argument which had been made,” Massachusetts Rep. Samuel McCall argued in a speech before the U.S. House of Representatives as Congress debated the 16th Amendment, legalizing the income tax in 1909, “leads me to believe that the chief purpose of the tax is not financial, but social. It is not primarily to raise money for the state, but to regulate the citizen and to regenerate the moral nature of man. The individual citizen will be called on to lay bare the inner-most recesses of his soul in affidavits, and with the aid of the Federal inspector, who will supervise his books and papers and business secrets, he may be made to be good, according the notions of virtue at the moment prevailing in Washington."

Yes, the U.S. government did at one time run large budget surpluses, and the revenue was generated without resorting to an income tax. by Thomas R. Eddlem
          When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

• Comment

• Comment

• Comment

• Trump honing in on some of democrats choicest underclasses, i mean err, voting classes.

Comment

• Well, he kinda has a point. She does embrace those countries with enthusiasm. Looks like the dems are getting set to lose a lot of their old mainstay votes.
                    WH

Comment

• Comment

• Day 1 of Trump Presidency:

Comment

• Comment

• not speaking for any other bank, but for Wells Fargo specifically this is not correct.

1. WF tried to refuse TARP funds, they neither needed nor wanted them
                            2. Govt force WF to take TARP based on principle that all the other banks have to accept them
                            3. WF essentially put TARP funds in a savings account and paid the govt back every cent plus interest. in my mind, the fact the govt forced WF to take the funds then return them with interest equates to extortion.
                            4. donations to the Clinton foundation comes from two entities, neither of which received funding from TARP:
                            -The Wells Fargo Foundation, which is funded by employees
                            -The WF Support Campaign, also funded by employees
                            5. WF is the biggest corporate donor to non-profit groups... why aren't they on the diagram too?

Originally posted by sc281 View Post

Comment

• Nice Strychnine. I tweaked it a bit.

Last edited by sc281; 10-06-2016, 05:47 PM.

Comment

• Another:

Comment

Working...
                                X