John Oliver Buys, Forgives $15M of Zombie Debt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Oliver Buys, Forgives $15M of Zombie Debt

Oliver spent time on his show dissecting the debt-buying business, detailing the shady ways some companies buy and sell the debt belonging to Americans and then attempt to collect it — even if the statute of limitations has run out on the debt. Oliver highlighted how the problem has been well-documented in the news, nicknamed “zombie debt,” and how the debt-buying industry is battling scores of complaints by the Federal Trade Commission.

The late-night host honed in on how easy it is to buy debt.

“As it stands, any idiot can get into it, and I can prove that to you, because I’m an idiot and we started a debt-buying company, and it was disturbingly easy.”

Oliver said he started a debt-buying company in April, and shortly after he launched a website and paid $50 to have the debt-acquisition firm registered, he was offered $14,922,261.76 in zombie debt for the low price of $60,000. The production company behind "Last Week Tonight with John Oliver" covered the $60,000 cost. Oliver revealed once he paid, he received the social security numbers, names and addresses of 9,000 people in Texas.

“We thought instead of collecting on the money, why not forgive it? Because on one hand, it’s obviously the right thing to do, but much more importantly we’d be staging the largest one-time giveaway in television show history.”

When the government pays, the government controls.

I'd like to think if I were uber-rich I'd do that type of shit.

Comment

I'm gonna start a debt buying company, buy up all my debt for pennies on the dollar............and forgive it.
      Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

Originally posted by KBScobravert View Post
        I'm gonna start a debt buying company, buy up all my debt for pennies on the dollar............and forgive it.
        I've thought about this. How easy would it be to find/buy your own debt?
        G'Day Mate

Comment

Originally posted by CWO View Post
          I'd like to think if I were uber-rich I'd do that type of shit.
          The problem is that if this happens, what prevents people from running up tons more debt again? I pay all my bills, on time, and in full. I wish someone would forgive the debt that is my mortgage.

Comment

Originally posted by juiceweezl View Post
            The problem is that if this happens, what prevents people from running up tons more debt again? I pay all my bills, on time, and in full. I wish someone would forgive the debt that is my mortgage.
            I'm not making excuses for them, but sometime life pops up and punches you in the dick.

Comment

What you guys are forgetting is that it is zombie debt. It's past its statute of limitations. So unless your mortgage has been forclosed on and it's past, I think, 7 years it wouldn't be for sale to begin with.
              Originally posted by Marisa
              we women are all irrational and emotional and insane...some just hide it better than others.

truth.

Comment

Originally posted by red89notch View Post
                What you guys are forgetting is that it is zombie debt. It's past its statute of limitations. So unless your mortgage has been forclosed on and it's past, I think, 7 years it shouldn't be for sale to begin with.
                fixed
                "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by juiceweezl View Post
                  The problem is that if this happens, what prevents people from running up tons more debt again?
                  Well, the video didn't deal with revolving credit or mortgages.

Originally posted by the Video
                  "...we were soon offered a portfolio of nearly fifteen million dollars of out-of-statute medical debt from Texas at a cost of less than half a cent on the dollar, which is less than sixty grand."
                  When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

Working...
                  X