X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So... it WAS ransom all along.

DUH.

Today, August 18:

The State Department says a $400 million cash payment to Iran was contingent on the release of American prisoners.

Spokesman John Kirby says negotiations over the United States’ returning Iranian money from a decades-old account was conducted separately from the prisoner talks. But he says the U.S. withheld delivery of the cash as leverage until the U.S. citizens had left Iran.

Compare and contrast that to what Obama said two weeks ago, August 4:

“We do not pay ransom for hostages,” Mr. Obama said during a news conference at the Pentagon. In a forceful rebuttal to accusations from critics who said that the payment could put more Americans in danger of being held, he called “the notion that we would start now, in this high profile way,” one that “defies logic.”

“It’s been interesting to watch this story surface,” Mr. Obama said. “Some of you may recall, we announced these payments in January. Many months ago. It was no secret.”
    The president called the uproar over the payment, which was made public at the time as part of a landmark nuclear pact, “the manufacturing of outrage.”
    When the government pays, the government controls.

"It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

Wait, I don't recall us ever doing this before. Is this the first?

Comment

Yes. It's also the largest ransom payment in American history
        I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

How is this not embezzlement? No one in government has the authority to give that money away.
          Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Obama just put a price on the head of every American.

What a nightmare this Administration has been.

Comment

Originally posted by LS1Goat View Post
              Obama just put a price on the head of every American.

What a nightmare this Administration has been.
              I suspect that he views it as a way to give money to groups that he supports.
              Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Originally posted by svauto-erotic855 View Post
                I suspect that he views it as a way to give money to groups that he supports.
                Or coordinated it as a money laundering activity just saying....
                Originally posted by Taya Kyle, American Gun
                There comes a time when honest debate, serious diplomatic efforts, and logical arguments have been exhausted and only men and women willing to take up arms against evil will suffice to save the freedom of a nation or continent.

Comment

How is this not embezzlement? No one in government has the authority to give that money away.
                  The head of the DOJ agrees with him and the majority of the Republicans are spineless.
                  I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

I'm just glad he didn't do a 1:5 trade with Al Qaeda prisoners.

Comment

I thought it was violation of law to give public money to ransoms?!?!

Geez, the lies upon lies upon lies with Democrats. And people are voting for more of this!!!!
                      "Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Comment

Bullshit

did you guys flunk history or what

he scandal began as an operation to free the seven American hostages being held in Lebanon by Hezbollah, a paramilitary group with Iranian ties connected to the Army of the Guardians of the Islamic Revolution. It was planned that Israel would ship weapons to Iran, and then the United States would resupply Israel and receive the Israeli payment. The Iranian recipients promised to do everything in their power to achieve the release of the U.S. hostages.[4][5] Large modifications to the plan were devised by Lieutenant Colonel Oliver North of the National Security Council in late 1985, in which a portion of the proceeds from the weapon sales was diverted to fund anti-Sandinista and anti-communist rebels, or Contras, in Nicaragua.[4]

Comment

Originally posted by Big Dad View Post
                          Bullshit

did you guys flunk history or what

he scandal began as an operation to free the seven American hostages being held in Lebanon by Hezbollah, a paramilitary group with Iranian ties connected to the Army of the Guardians of the Islamic Revolution. It was planned that Israel would ship weapons to Iran, and then the United States would resupply Israel and receive the Israeli payment. The Iranian recipients promised to do everything in their power to achieve the release of the U.S. hostages.[4][5] Large modifications to the plan were devised by Lieutenant Colonel Oliver North of the National Security Council in late 1985, in which a portion of the proceeds from the weapon sales was diverted to fund anti-Sandinista and anti-communist rebels, or Contras, in Nicaragua.[4]
                          Lol, you think they teach this in history class?

Comment

Originally posted by BP View Post
                            I'm just glad he didn't do a 1:5 trade with Al Qaeda prisoners.
                            You forgot to mention that he gave Yemen 5 billion dollars as part of that swap.

Comment

In relation to the ransom, this is unnerving.

Marsha and Carl Mueller are to make a statement today which is expected to criticise the US Government after attempts to save their daughter Kayla, 26, from Arizona, failed a year ago.

Comment

Working...
                              X