Outside AC Condensor not Turning On

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outside AC Condensor not Turning On

My outdoor unit isn't coming on, already checked fuses and breakers.

It's not power because I can hear a hum at the condensor fan motor.

I cannot get the blades to spin using a stick. It spins freely when unit is off, doesn't seem like the motor is frozen.

I think I need a new capacitor... where can I get one? I have a Carrier heat pump. Does HD/Lowes sell these, or I need to go to a specialty place?

Anything else I should look for? It's already 87* in my house

Thanks!

Sounds like the same problems I had a few summers ago and it was the capacitor.

Comment

Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
      Sounds like the same problems I had a few summers ago and it was the capacitor.
      Thanks, did you change yourself? I want to run out and pick one up ASAP.

Comment

I didn't change it because I had no idea what it was. It ended up costing about 150 to have someone come out and change it.

It really didn't look very hard when they did it though.

Comment

Sounds exactly what happened to my downstairs unit two weeks ago which was a bad capacitor. I kept the fan on to keep the air circulating and turned all the fans on until it was fixed.

I believe Lowes and Home Depot carry the usual types. If you can pull off the top and get to it easily you can just take it with you to the store.

Mine was covered under home warranty so I just had them come fix it, but it's about a $40 part depending on a few things. He said over half of his calls this summer result in just changing the capacitor.

Comment

I pulled the capacitor and it's leaking... gonna try Lowe's and see if they keep one in stock.

Hopefully I can find one there, if not, not sure who to call for the part?

Comment

Originally posted by UserX View Post
              I pulled the capacitor and it's leaking... gonna try Lowe's and see if they keep one in stock.

Hopefully I can find one there, if not, not sure who to call for the part?
              I bet your neighbor has a running ac unit....right now. LOL

I am sure those are pretty common and interchangeable and there have to be plenty of places that sale AC parts in the area.

Comment

Sears may be of help or see if there's any local AC repair stores etc.

Comment

Lowe's doesn't have shit!

Comment

Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
                    I bet your neighbor has a running ac unit....right now. LOL

Comment

Hell I am bored at work.. What is the ac unit, and the capacitor model no. I will do some googling

Comment

Carrier unit 38BYC036350

Capacitor is a GE... I believe the part # is 97F9971 or HC98JA052D

I am in Frisco and prefer to find somewhere near my house.

Thanks man! I'm trying to handle this and be on conference calls at the same time.

Comment

www.grainger.com has a store in Plano and I bet they have a universal one that fits.

Comment

Originally posted by AdamLX View Post
                            Me either... it doesn't have to be GE though, just the same specs. I know they are around locally, question is if I can find the part only. Don't really want to give someone $100 labor for 5 minutes work.

Comment

I emailed the sales team at Alliedelec in Richardson to see if they have it in stock.

Comment

Working...
                              X