Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hot water heater replacement situations, input wanted.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot water heater replacement situations, input wanted.

I am torn on what to do. We are buying a new house that has 2 40 gal hot water heaters. These are older model heaters. Neither one produces heat anymore(house has been vacant for a while). They are both located in the attic.

It is just my wife and I, dishwasher, and washing machine.
    The house is 3,000 square feet, has 1 bathroom upstairs, 1.5 downstairs, then kitchen obviously also.

My options as of this far are as follows:

A.Replace elements in existing heaters and put a timer on to save energy during the day and late at night etc. Would also insulate the heaters doing this.

B. Replace the 2 40 gal with 1 50 gal and put it on a timer also.

C. Replace the two with 1 40 gal on a timer, and also put an electric point of use(tankless) in kitchen to handle dishwashing and just to have hot water in kitchen.

or

D. Just fork out the dough for a tankless 6.4 GPM to supply the whole house with hot water. Concerns here are if dish wash, clothes and shower all happening at same time?

Advice, input, or suggestions.

Are you looking for cheap or best? I would do my best to convert to gas and get whatever you go with out of the attic. Of course budget always plays a hand, so do what you can. Electric on demand units are not efficient. If that is your goal, then forget it. If you just want unlimited hot water, then it might work for you. I don't know about amount of hot water you can use at a time other than your water flow rate will drop as the number of items trying to use it at once are added. If you consolidate to one tank unit and stay electric, look at recovery times for 50 vs 60. My previous home's 30 gal gas tank out performed my current home's 60 gal electric tank due to the slower recovery time.

Comment

as a plumber i used to steer people away from tankless heaters.. but after moving into a new house with one i swear by them.. i took a one hour long shower the other day (dont ask, or do.) and it never once dropped in temp.

whatever you do i would get it out of the attic though, that sounds like an accident waiting to happen. and as bard said GAS>ELECTRIC.

is there any gas run in to the house now? (stove/oven)?
      THE BAD HOMBRE

Comment

Depending on how the house is "zoned" (and where the heaters are in relationship to each other), it may be really difficult to go to one heater. If gas is not available, the new electrics are really efficient. Just realize the true expense of converting to gas with the extra plumbing and cost of a quality unit. Do NOT use electric tankless units...you will not be happy.

Comment

I actually bought one of the GE Geospring 50 gallon heaters with the heat pump. We are going to cap attic pipes and wires and install in garage near dishwasher, washing machine, and 2 bathrooms are close to it also.

Comment

Working...
          X