Bad AC Solenoid?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad AC Solenoid?

So a few months ago my neighbor had some ac work done and had a tech come out. The tech mentioned that he heard my unit tripping to turn on and took several jumps to get started.

Well when I was told this I stood near my unit for a few minutes and didn't hear what he was talking about. The unit actually kicked on with no problems 3-4 times.

Fast foward to right now, I stepped into my garage for a min and heard the jump of electricity to get it going but didn't hear the fan afterwards. Interested in hearing it again I waited in the garage and heard it 5-6 times never hearing the fan kick on.

Is this a symptom of a bad solenoid? If so, how do I diagnose further? I believe (haven't really researched it) solenoids are fairly cheap compared to other potential issues. How are they to replace, time, effort, etc?

If it is an easy fix I would rather go down the route of repairing myself than paying some tech a hundred plus dollars to diagnose and fix it.

*update* I sat in the garage until the AC turned on and I may have heard something else. The noise I heard was a wave of electricity as if it was trying to start the AC. The waves came in probably 30 second intervals about 6 times. After about 3 minutes of silence I heard the ac turn on but didn't hear that sound of electricity. Not sure what it could have been now....
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Originally posted by Cmarsh93z
    Don't Fuck with DFWmustangs...the most powerfull gang I have ever been a member of.

Flux capacitor is malfunctioning.
    Originally posted by talisman
    I wonder if there will be a new character that specializes in bjj and passive agressive comebacks?
    Originally posted by AdamLX
    If there was, I wouldn't pick it because it would probably just keep leaving the game and then coming back like nothing happened.
    Originally posted by Broncojohnny
    Because fuck you, that's why
    Originally posted by 80coupe
    nice dick, Idrivea4banger
    Originally posted by Rick Modena
    ......and idrivea4banger is a real person.
    Originally posted by Jester
    Man ive always wanted to smoke a bowl with you. Just seem like a cool cat.

Comment

yes your low on plutonium your only running at .75 nigawatts

Comment

Had the same think happen this summer. Turned out the fan was breaking loose from the collar and binding the motor. I replaced the fan and hasn't happened again.

Comment

Working...
        X