Breaker Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breaker Question

Can a bad microwave cause the breaker to trip? Started tonight, tripped like 3-4 times during the period of 15 minutes. The only thing different tonight from any other night is we had the microwave running for 15 minutes and the george forman grill on the same wall. When we were done cooking the tripping stopped. Other things that shut off as well, was the fridge and set of lights in the ceiling.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Originally posted by GT Fanatic View Post
    Can a bad microwave cause the breaker to trip? Started tonight, tripped like 3-4 times during the period of 15 minutes. The only thing different tonight from any other night is we had the microwave running for 15 minutes and the george forman grill on the same wall. When we were done cooking the tripping stopped. Other things that shut off as well, was the fridge and set of lights in the ceiling.

Thanks for any help in advance.
    Sounds like too many amps on the breaker. See what the breaker is rated at and then add up what is drawing against it. I'd say that a microwave, the Foreman, fridge, and kitchen lights on the same circuit would be enough to trip the breaker just due to the load.

An electrician can correct me if I'm wrong, but the standard wire in the walls isn't heavy enough to carry the current to power that many things (of that capacity) at once without being a hazard. Heavier wire could carry the load and could thus have a higher rated breaker. Usually the fridge outlet may be separate from other outlets in the kitchen. Sometimes the mircrowave may be separate too along with the range (if electric). Try running only 1 at a time and see what happens.

Comment

Check your AC outlet voltage. A low voltage will cause it to pull more current and trip the breaker. Mine started tripping back in the spring and it turned out to be low line voltage.

Comment

Originally posted by juiceweezl View Post
        Sounds like too many amps on the breaker. See what the breaker is rated at and then add up what is drawing against it. I'd say that a microwave, the Foreman, fridge, and kitchen lights on the same circuit would be enough to trip the breaker just due to the load.

An electrician can correct me if I'm wrong, but the standard wire in the walls isn't heavy enough to carry the current to power that many things (of that capacity) at once without being a hazard. Heavier wire could carry the load and could thus have a higher rated breaker. Usually the fridge outlet may be separate from other outlets in the kitchen. Sometimes the mircrowave may be separate too along with the range (if electric). Try running only 1 at a time and see what happens.
        This would be my first thought. 1200 Watt Microwave; 750-1500 Watts from George Foreman Grill, depending on model; and 500 Watt Fridge would pull 20+ Amps. Lights could add a few more amps depending on type, so I'd look at total load and see if it is close to or exceeding breaker limit. If not, you have another issue.
        Men have become the tools of their tools.
        -Henry David Thoreau

Comment

a branch breaker is only designed to hold a continuous load of 80% of its rating. ie; a 20 amp breaker is only designed to hold 16 amps of continuous load.

with that said, it sounds like you have way too much on a circuit. i always give mircowaves, refrigerators, etc. dedicated circuits.

microwave (probably 1200 watts) = 10 amps
          george foreman grill (probably 750 watts) = 6.25 amps
          refrigerator with compressor running (probably 600 watts) = 5 amps
          lights = (4-40w lamps?) = 1.3 amps

total = approximately 22.5 amps when everything is running

now, the refrigerator will cycle, grill will cycle, etc...just an idea. to add to that, you probably have a 15 amp breaker feeding all of that. time to run a few circuits to the kitchen.

Comment

Working...
          X