Hmmm, one room is colder/hotter than others

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hmmm, one room is colder/hotter than others

So this one room at the front of the house is always a different temp. than the rest of the house. Cold outside, that room is cold, hot outside, that room is pretty warm. When the house was build, I do recall the bat insulation was between the studs before the drywall went up, same type the rest of the house has.

I noticed today, the walls in that room feel colder than other exterior walls.

So, my question is... Since I could not (without taking down the drywall) inject that expanding foam insulation, would it be possible to inject that shit between the brick and whatever that thin board shit is they use on houses now (like the exterior walls before brick is installed)???

Origianlly the room was supposed to be 1 large room when you walk in the front door, but they had the option to sort of split it and make a small office type room and a smaller dining room. It has a ceiling vent for the AC/heat, but it is smaller than the others in the house, except the one in the master closet, same size as that one.

Not sure WTF to do, but it is driving Lyn crazy. Since that is her TV/reading room and she spends a lot of time relaxing in there, I'd like it to be more comfortable for her. Any idea's?

TIA

Whats the insulation like above it?

Comment

Same as the rest of the house. Blow in, grey'ish and I think 14 inches or so. It is pretty level across the entire attic area.

I guess one thing I didn't take into account, this room does face the weather more so than the other rooms, it is the front/corner of the house, so realy gets no "protection" from the wind or sun when it's hot outside. The walls do feel much cooler to the touch.

Comment

Run another duct to that room , providing the current duct is not kinked or leaking
        The only difference between a tax man and a taxidermist is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. -- Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Reefer Rae View Post
          Run another duct to that room , providing the current duct is not kinked or leaking
          I'll need to double check the duct is connected correctly still, but it should be since I've never gone to that part of the attic and done anything. That would be my luck, it is just half-ass connected to the vent and heating/cooling my attic!

Comment

1. If there are windows in that room, check caulking and for any drafts. When checking the caulking, do both inside and out. I assume this is builder grade, so it'll probably be cooler/hotter not matter what. Still, it's worth a check.

2. Check airflow at the vent. Regardless of what you hear, boosters do work if you want more heat blown in there.

If low airflow (or either way it's good to inspect these things)

a. Look for kinks as mentioned above.
            b. Look for loose connections with the ducting. Key places are generally at the vent itself or back on the main unit.

Generally speaking you should check these either way and seal them up. Builders/contractors around here are under such time constraints that these little...key improvements are often left behind. 90% of the air is flowing so they call it good. When it's your comfort/money - getting that 10% back matters and is cheap enough to do.

Anyway....if there are no leaks, caulking is good, no kinks and everything checks out - I'd recommend the booster before another vent installed. However, either SHOULD work.

Sometimes a simple, thermostat controlled heater is the best option. We do that in our master with tile everywhere...etc. Just takes the chill off for showers and so forth.
            Originally posted by MR EDD
            U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

maybe its haunted?

god bless.
              It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

Originally posted by yellowstang View Post
                I'll need to double check the duct is connected correctly still, but it should be since I've never gone to that part of the attic and done anything. That would be my luck, it is just half-ass connected to the vent and heating/cooling my attic!
                Could be a poor installation, too. It could slip off of the grill some and leak into the attic. Check the hangers, too. Sometimes if they use a narrow "saddle" it can choke off the airflow.

Comment

Might also consider moving the thermostat closer to that room.
                  Handyman, classic car and antique jukebox collector/restorer, and all around good guy.

sigpic

Comment

Buying your wife a blanket would probably be cheaper.
                    - Darrell

1993 LX - Reef Blue R331ci
                    1993 Cobra #199 - SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by ELVIS View Post
                      maybe its haunted?

god bless.
                      x2, it's the hooker you killed.

Comment

Originally posted by miketyler View Post
                        Might also consider moving the thermostat closer to that room.
                        That was my first thought.

Comment

plant a med tree in front of the wall to shade it?

Comment

Well, I think the cold/hot room is due to bad insulation in the walls, so I ordered a infared thermometer on Amazon. I checked the vent, hooked up fine, and the "hand test" seems the air blowing out is as warm and strong as the other vents.

Black & Decker TLD100 Thermal Leak Detector

For $35 with shipping, it seems pretty cool!

Pic is HUGE, so here is a link

Here is the item on Amazon:

Comment

I'ts possible that the attic venting has allowed the blow-in ionsulation to get blown aside too much around the edges.

Comment

Working...
                              X