No announcement yet.

What is the next step to texture walls?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the next step to texture walls?

When we built our house, we didnt opt to pay the builder to texture and paint the garage walls (dumb decision). Now I am stuck doing this myself.

Recently I have had a company come out and insulate the walls (thats what holes are), insulate the attic above the garage, insulate the garage door and install a window a/c unit into the side of the brick wall. My garage now gets warm in the winter, cool in the summer, but still looks crappy.

I want to texture/paint the walls but I have no idea what needs to be done in order to paint. What is the easiest way to texture and smooth out this tape on the walls in order to paint? Iv heard there are spray textures in a can, but seems might be expensive to do entire garage that way. Im looking for easy and quick, but still look nice.

Thanks ahead of time.
    Last edited by 00bolt; 06-05-2012, 06:45 AM.

Do you still have the circles that they cut out?
    www.allforoneroofing.com

Comment

Air compressor, hopper, mud and water...mix, point and shoot....Oops, just looked at the photo, and those tape/bed joints look like ass....You're going to have to do some serious sanding and possibly remove and re-tape/bed some of the joints, especially if they all look that badly...

Where are you located?

Comment

This and a small compressor work great! But those tape joints need attention first.

Comment

apparently i have misplaced the circles.
          and most the tape does look pretty good, that is probably the worst of them.
          im in mansfield

Comment

Originally posted by Mark04 View Post
            This and a small compressor work great! But those tape joints need attention first.

He's better off with a big compressor. It doesn't take long to deplete the air in the tank while you're shooting the mud. With a small tank, you'll be taking a lot of breaks waiting for the tank to fill back up. Also, depending the the compressor head, you may still be taking a lot of breaks waiting for the tank to fill up. I have a pretty good size tank but my compressor couldn't keep up.

To the OP, just by an $80 hopper and a couple buckets of mud. You'll mix it with water so it's similar to pancake batter...so you'll need a paint mixer and another bucket. Adjusting your air pressure and nozzle tip will get you different patterns. Just find some scrap sheet rock and do some practicing till you get what you like.

Comment

Just put up 4x8 sheets of that soffit material

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
              2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

I would cheap out and just use a roller on a garage. From the looks of it you don't have much to paint around anyway so it wouldn't take you that long to do it. As others have said you'll need to do a little prep beforehand to make it look decent.

Comment

where u at.. i have a guy i can send out if you can pay cash... he is good fast and cheap
                  first class white trash

Comment

Question... Was there any insulation at all in there before? I would think there was some of that fiberglass stuff or some type of insualtion. Is the new insualtion spray in foam, or is it like shredded paper???

Forbes,
                    does your guy do anything besides drywall? I am wondering about some things in the thread I have about a room that is colder/hotter than others in my house.

Comment

i do have a 26 gallon compressor
                      im in mansfield
                      i dont think it was insulated at all, neither was the ceiling in attic above the garage. apparently that is "normal"

Comment

my wife and i just did a few rooms ourselves, we did knock down type texture it was our first time and it was not that bad.

we used a roller, we felt it was easier to control.

just pm me if ya more details...

Comment

If you don't mind me asking, how much did they charge you to insulate the walls and above the garage?
                          - Darrell

1993 LX - Reef Blue R331ci
                          1993 Cobra #199 - SOLD

Comment

its not the best looking stuff in the world, but they do make paint with texture in it. Again, I'm not saying I like it but if its in the garage it might not matter as much?

Comment

We have been in business doing this for 31 years now. Let me know if there is anything we can do to help.

With it being a garage, you might conceder trying this on your own. It's not that hard to do. As stated in the thread earlier, get you a box of mud ( I prefer light weight cause it doesn't shrink) put it in a 5 gallon bucket and mix it with approxamently 65 ounces of water. Then pour it into a hopper and spray. Home depot prolly rents the tools to do the work. There are 3 size tips that the hopper comeS with. I would suggest the medium.

Good luck with your project.
                              Photobucket

Comment

Working...
                              X