Laying SOD this time of the year?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laying SOD this time of the year?!

So some genuis in our HOA decided to contract to have the ditches on my street dug up to provide better drainage. Now it is on us the homeowner to resod the effected area. For me that is about a 150-200' linear stretch and I am not sure just how wide yet.

The real bitch is they chose this time of the year for me to waste money on sod that will be dead just as fast as they lay it with the temperatures the way they are.

But of course they found us $120 a pallet installed (550'). How nice of them.

So will the grass even survive the winter or am I just paying to have a bandaid laid over their mess?

Not very happy right now. Christmas is the last time of the year I want to WASTE money. Let alone they are dipping into my savings while I am trying to transition to a new job that pays way less.
    Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Supposedly you can lay sod year round, but I've never tried. Both times that I've started with sod it was early summer. At least you won't have to worry about it drying out. On a side note, why is it the home owner's responsibility to replace something the HOA tore out?

Comment

If I remember right you have to water t he hell out of sod. Which right now - the best you could do is just during the warmest parts of the day.

I'm interested in hearing if this is possible too. Just seems counter productive though
      Originally posted by MR EDD
      U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

I build houses, and we lay sod year-round. It still needs to be freshly cut from the farm, even though it's pretty much dormant. If done properly, it should come in fine. You may not know it until April, though.

Comment

$120 a pallet installed is a great price

Comment

8.5 pallets at $135 installed for a grand total of $1147 coming out of my Christmas funds.

Apparently a home owner up the street orchestrated this mess in our yards to get hers to drain better. Because I was not home during the HOA meeting she passed it. HOA is responsible for the work we are responsible for sod'ing down the fresh dirt to prevent it from erroding away......and looking like SHIT!

Comment

Originally posted by kbscobravert View Post
              8.5 pallets at $135 installed for a grand total of $1147 coming out of my Christmas funds.

Apparently a home owner up the street orchestrated this mess in our yards to get hers to drain better. Because I was not home during the HOA meeting she passed it. HOA is responsible for the work we are responsible for sod'ing down the fresh dirt to prevent it from erroding away......and looking like SHIT!

I would have talk with said neighbor. F that bs

Comment

Must have been a pretty extreme case.
                Handyman, classic car and antique jukebox collector/restorer, and all around good guy.

sigpic

Comment

....and the fucking hits keep coming. There is so much damage to the sprinkler system in the effected area that we are going to have to just install all new lines and heads. Again at my fucking expense? We will have to see about that. I am sure I am going to have to front it so I can get the sod down before it is too late.

Sod has active root systems and needs to be watered every other day for a couple weeks then twice a week until spring. Everyone seems pretty confident it will be fine. So much that I am having some installed around the new patio since I can't beat $135 a pallet installed.

Comment

....and the fucking hits keep coming. There is so much damage to the sprinkler system in the effected area that we are going to have to just install all new lines and heads. Again at my fucking expense? We will have to see about that. I am sure I am going to have to front it so I can get the sod down before it is too late.

Sod has active root systems and needs to be watered every other day for a couple weeks then twice a week until spring. Everyone seems pretty confident it will be fine. So much that I am having some installed around the new patio since I can't beat $135 a pallet installed.
                    When I had my first house built they put down all the sod in the dead of winter and told me to water it well. It came in fine with no problems.
                    Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Lawyer up.

Comment

Where do you live? Have you been quoted for repairs? My father in law does it and may be able to help you out some... Also I would look at whether or not you are responsible for damages they did... We've had something similar happen when a city crew ripped a main and tore out a large section of system... The homeowner ended up billing the city for it and won...

Comment

Originally posted by silversleeper View Post
                          Where do you live? Have you been quoted for repairs? My father in law does it and may be able to help you out some... Also I would look at whether or not you are responsible for damages they did... We've had something similar happen when a city crew ripped a main and tore out a large section of system... The homeowner ended up billing the city for it and won...
                          I am in Haslet off of Bonds Ranch and 287 (a few miles North of Hicks Airfield). I am having the job quoted out to me tomorrow.

If he does work in this area let me know. I am looking at having 190 feet laid and 10 heads.

Originally posted by bard View Post
                          Lawyer up.
                          I am very close. I want to give them a chance to make it right first.

Comment

never been crazy about laying st.aug. in winter, bermuda doesnt matter, make sure and keep it wet, just like it were summer, dont let the cool or cold weather fool you into thinking it wont dry out, it will, always give it a good soaking prior to a freeze to insulate the roots and you should be fine

Comment

The mess my HOA has left me with. I still have not figured out who is going to pay for the repairs to my sprinklers, about $750 in damage.

There is supposed to be two BROKEN lines there but they were nice enough to hide it for me.

Comment

Working...
                              X