Fence staining...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fence staining...

How soon can I stain a cedar fence? I'm about to finish my cedar fence install and would like to stain it before it starts to weather. I don't know if I need to wait a few weeks to let the wood dry out or if I can just stain right away.

And for anyone that has stained their fence, what stain did you use? How's it holding up to fading? I'm not sure if I should stay away from Home Depot stain or if it's ok. I know there's better stain out there but my budget for this is dwindling and I'm not opposed to restaining every 4-5 years if needed. Do most people seal their fence as well or just stain?

Man, I need to start paying advertiser's fees!
    Last edited by DON SVO; 12-18-2011, 01:41 PM.
    www.protechfencestaining.com
    Bryan Durham
    214-991-4979

Comment

Isn't it too cold to stain?

Comment

I sealed mine with Thompsons and a pump sprayer...

Comment

As long the wood is not frozen. I like to stay around the 40 degree or warmer.......
          www.protechfencestaining.com
          Bryan Durham
          214-991-4979

Comment

Hey thanks for the offer Bryan but I've reached the end of my budget for this project. I just need to find a good, quality stain that's not too expensive and spray it on.

Comment

http://www.readyseal.com/about-ready...orporated.html I prefer the medium brown color I have been doing fences along time this is great stuff.

Comment

+2 on the Ready Seal. It's all we use on exterior staining any more. Just make sure it's not gonna rain for a few days. Also, wait till the wood has some dry time. The stain will not penetrate when it's wet. The Ready Seal is a penetrating stain sealer. No need for any top coats.
                Photobucket

Comment

you can shoot stain onto your fence as soon as you finish putting the fence up. the builder who built my house stained my fence inside and out the same day they built the fence. the only downside is now the stain has already started to fade only a year and a half later, so I've learned that stain needs to be maintained. Robert has a great idea with using Thompsons Water Seal in addition to the stain as well, though I'm not 100% sure on which would need to be applied first, the stain or the seal (to ensure a longer life for both the wood and the stain finish on it)

Comment

Originally posted by Chris71Mach1 View Post
                    you can shoot stain onto your fence as soon as you finish putting the fence up. the builder who built my house stained my fence inside and out the same day they built the fence. the only downside is now the stain has already started to fade only a year and a half later, so I've learned that stain needs to be maintained. Robert has a great idea with using Thompsons Water Seal in addition to the stain as well, though I'm not 100% sure on which would need to be applied first, the stain or the seal (to ensure a longer life for both the wood and the stain finish on it)
                    Not if its treated wood. The stain will not penetrate, much less adhere what so ever.
                    Photobucket

Comment

If we put cedar picketts on they will shrink 1/4 to a 1/2 inch within 2 or 3 weeks after there put up tight, there always wet so it is a good idea to let it cure for a week or two, same with treated lumber. Whitewood SPF is dry enough usually to spray right away.

Comment

Originally posted by Bottlefedstang View Post
                        If we put cedar picketts on they will shrink 1/4 to a 1/2 inch within 2 or 3 weeks after there put up tight, there always wet so it is a good idea to let it cure for a week or two, same with treated lumber. Whitewood SPF is dry enough usually to spray right away.
                        Right on!
                        Photobucket

Comment

Well, I may have blown $135 bucks...I'll know for sure once it stops raining. The rep at Kwal Paints said it only needs to cure for 12 hrs...unfortunatley, I didn't get quite that much time. The weather was calling for rain today but it came in early and started about 10pm last night.

I was torn between Natual Cedar and Medium Red...went with MR. This pic was taken with my camera phone yesterday...on a cloudy day, just after spraying so it's still wet. I was able to cover just under 100 ft with 5 gallons. I still have to do the back.

OH...and thanks for the recommendation on ReadySeal....awesome stuff, easy to use. Poured it in a decent sprayer and went to town. Rubbed it in with a 4in. paint brush for uniformity.
                          Last edited by GeorgeG.; 02-24-2012, 01:29 PM.

Comment

Looks good, at least after freshly being applied from the pictures. Hope it doesn't get lightened in color by all the rain, but like you said you knew the rain was coming.

Comment

Working...
                            X