Any plumber recomendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any plumber recomendations?

So I noticed a tad bit of water in the garage yesterday and then it had a lot more today. Lucky me it appears one of my hot water lines is leaking in the foundation some where. I found it and all but I guess they will have to dig up the slab for this? Orrrr could they maybe go from the attic to here and clip the line off out of the foundation. This is a interior corner wall right below my AC unit. It either goes to my Washer on the back side of this wall, or to my shower. If its the washer it is only maybe three feet from the water heater in the garage.

Washer and fridge is on flip side of the wall on the right. The ac unit is directly above it. I am thinking ceramic to match my kitchen. LOL
    Last edited by kingjason; 12-31-2011, 02:40 AM.
    Whos your Daddy?

Is the water on the floor hot to the touch? Can you see or feel it coming up from floor? Have you ran the washer and watched it run through the cycles? Make sure everything is off in the house and go outside and clock your meter. Look or a smaller triangle or dial and see if it is moving at all. Watch it for 1 full minute.

Sent from my iPhone

Comment

The water is warm to the touch and I can see it barely fizzling up from that line on the left. I think it goes straight up and to the washer which is directly behind it. I went thru with a mop and fans and dried it all out real good before I started looking for it.

I have narrowed this down to the line going to the master bath I think. LOL
      Last edited by kingjason; 12-22-2011, 02:25 PM.
      Whos your Daddy?

Comment

I called 24 hour plumber who said like 1100 to 1500 if they have to bust the concrete. They will be by at noon tommorrow to eyeball it. Anyone deal with these guys before?
        Whos your Daddy?

Comment

We had a slab leak fixed a few months ago and even though it was a pain in the ass and costed way more than we wanted to spend at the time, the guy I had called out here did a fantastic job and he left the my house just as it was when he started. Even patched a spot under the wet bar that wasn't trimmed out by the contractor when the house was first built. He went above and beyond to make sure we were completely satisfied.

Do Rite Plumbing - 817.657.0815
          His name is Demetrius Mattison

Comment

I may call him tomorrow I have two calls in now. One to 24 hour plumbing of Dallas and Red Oak plumbing came highly recomended from another site. I am going to see if they can just re route the lines in the garage and go down behind the washer from there. Sheetrock is way easier to fix than ceramic. Plus it looks like it is in a pita area to get too. I was actually out in the garage eyeballing the copper line and holding a sheetrock knife in my hand. Seriously it's about 3 foot from the tank to where the back side of that wall is by the washer.

Luckily I was able to just shut off the valve at the tank and it quit puddling up. I can just turn it on when I shower in the morning and turn it back off. I guess the pressure was just squeezing it out. Good to know I dont have to rush and find someone either.
            Last edited by kingjason; 12-13-2011, 08:30 PM.
            Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Red Oak plumbing has been great so far. They actually listened to the message I left and called me at 12 that day as I was waking up. They arrived at 1215 and gave me a sorta quote and were gone before I called the other place and cancelled since they were a no show and it was 1:30.

Now here is the strange part. They showed up the next day with their guy that finds the leak and no leak. They thought they plugged it by pushing some debris into it while running preasure back into the line. He said two to seven days and it will be back. Sure enough two nights ago it came back so I shut the hot water off and called them. They said cool their guy could show up at 11 today. Yesterday I turned the water on and boom no leak. My wife made the observation that only when we had heavy rains this occured and I am starting to think she is right. The day they came out it had been raining hard for days and they saw where the water was coming from. The next day when they came back it had not been raining all day and they could not find it. When it started doing it the other day it was raining hard and the ground was soaked. Then the next day when we turned it on it was not raining and no leak. Maybe the ground is swelling and causing something to flex weird. I am about 99 percent sure we have narrowed it down to the line going to the main shower. I am trying to talk them into cutting it and running it thru the attic since it is so close and I am not excited about busting the foundation. Plus that line runs under some difficult spots and they may not even be able to get to it from there. If I knew the manifold to the master bath was at the sink it would be easy to get to it and connect it to this line before it goes into the concrete. Plus just a little sheetrock damage in the garage would be da bomb. LOL
              Whos your Daddy?

Comment

I wouldn't put any water pipe in the attic. You're juyst asking for trouble. If you ever have a leak up there you are going to create a HUGE mess and it will be much more costly to repair all the water damage. Normally they will have to either dig out under the house and replumb it or cut out a portion of the the concrete slab inside to reach the affected area.

Comment

Originally posted by Lone Sailor View Post
                  I wouldn't put any water pipe in the attic. You're juyst asking for trouble. If you ever have a leak up there you are going to create a HUGE mess and it will be much more costly to repair all the water damage. Normally they will have to either dig out under the house and replumb it or cut out a portion of the the concrete slab inside to reach the affected area.
                  If the manifold is where I think it is in the master then it would all run over a small portion of the garage. I need to re popcorn a few areas anyways in this house from prior leaks that went un noticed until I had the roof sealed up last year. It has a concrete shingle roof on it. Plus I do not plan on being here in a year and that PEX stuff appears to be warrantied for 100 years or so. I thought it was suppossed to be better then copper now days? Not a plumber by any stretch and google is dangerous to my mind.

Anyone have any exp with the stuff they run thru your system and coat the lines with? This thing being quirky has given me way to much time to think about cheaper less destructive measures. LOL
                  Whos your Daddy?

Comment

leak...

the stuff that coats the pipe is called E-pipe and does not always work. you can re-route the line via the attic with pex pipe just insulate the line you would just have to cut both manifolds and test the line in question to make sure you cut both sides. then if the water heater is close you could just cut a line in the top and run it through the ceiling instead of the wall. just cap the lines on that side.
                    Just a fyi i am a plumber and work for a leak detection company if you have any more questions just hit me up.

Comment

This mother fu@@#@ is playing cat and mouse and has me questioning if it is even leaking or if the neighbors new driveway and dirt mound is causing a draining issue and it may be coming up at that point where my three half inches come thru the slab. I highly doubt it but it has been dry again since the heavy rains stopped and that is twice it did that. The water was warm but I guess if it is slipping by hot pipes they could warm it up.

Do you use the Pex stuff very often? Also where are most manifolds for showers? My sink to the master is way closer then the actual shower and I am betting it is in the wall in my garage. Ifffff it is leaking under the slab, anddddddd it is my master, it would be stupid easy to re route without damaging the slab. Once it starts up again I am going to try an narrow it down more since I can shut it off at the heater valve. The pipe I believe it is coming from does go to the master. I could tell by the temp the other day when I turned it on and ran a shower. My water bill is normal also.
                      Whos your Daddy?

Comment

enco plumbing.. They have some great leak detection techs.. depending on where you are.. The restaurant i worked at's water bill went from 900 to 3500 in one month.. they found the leak in the parking lot using some sort of stethascope dug up the ground and repaired it..

214-222-4464 say stephen sent you
                        "PSH!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen View Post
                          enco plumbing.. They have some great leak detection techs.. depending on where you are.. The restaurant i worked at's water bill went from 900 to 3500 in one month.. they found the leak in the parking lot using some sort of stethascope dug up the ground and repaired it..

214-222-4464 say stephen sent you
                          The guy Red Oak used had some super duper nuclear looking devices but either the leak clogged when they ran air back thru orrrrr my high water foundation theory will play out. LOL The system held tight with 80 and 100 psi air run into it.
                          Last edited by kingjason; 12-27-2011, 03:05 PM.
                          Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Originally posted by kingjason View Post
                            The guy Red Oak used had some super duper nuclear looking devices but either the leak clogged when they ran air back thru orrrrr my high water foundation theory will play out. LOL The system held tight with 80 and 100 psi air run into it.
                            I'd call a foundation company and have them look at your property and your neighbors foundation and the way it is graded or "drains on to your property". If they can not give you an answer or think its a foundation issue or drainage issue then I'm sure they can recommend who may be able to solve your water problem.

Let me know if you need a contact.

Real Estate Nate

Comment

pex thus far has been a duriable product never had any issues with it. When we are doing a leak detection we have to trust in the equipment we use if the pressure is holding steady for test then there is not a leak. Could be ground water coming up through the holes in the slab or if there is foundation cracks around that area.

Comment

Working...
                              X