Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

adding electrical outlets in garage, have some code realted questions..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• adding electrical outlets in garage, have some code realted questions..

I have no electrical outlets on the outside wall of my garage and I want to add some. I was reading a "home improvement" book from HD and it said to run the wires through the studs 1 ft above where the electrical outlets will be, under windows is an exception. Well a few pages later it showed running the wires at the base of the wall, they took off the baseboards and cut out the sheet rock and ran them through the studs, then reinstalled sheet rock and baseboards.

I don't plan on adding any down low because my work bench is on that wall and I plan to have cabinets over there too. I was planning to add atleast 2 outlets. One about 40" from the floor next to the work bench. Then possibly one higher because my radio will be mounted on top of the cabinets along with the light over my bench. I was thinking about putting that outlet behind the cabinets so you couldn't see it.

Is there any reason I cannot add the outlets where I want them code wise? Can I just run the wires about 24-30 inches below where the lowest outlet will be instead of above? Sorry about the lengthy questions.
    92 LX 5.0

Originally posted by bobs94formula View Post
    I have no electrical outlets on the outside wall of my garage and I want to add some. I was reading a "home improvement" book from HD and it said to run the wires through the studs 1 ft above where the electrical outlets will be, under windows is an exception. Well a few pages later it showed running the wires at the base of the wall, they took off the baseboards and cut out the sheet rock and ran them through the studs, then reinstalled sheet rock and baseboards.

I don't plan on adding any down low because my work bench is on that wall and I plan to have cabinets over there too. I was planning to add atleast 2 outlets. One about 40" from the floor next to the work bench. Then possibly one higher because my radio will be mounted on top of the cabinets along with the light over my bench. I was thinking about putting that outlet behind the cabinets so you couldn't see it.

Is there any reason I cannot add the outlets where I want them code wise? Can I just run the wires about 24-30 inches below where the lowest outlet will be instead of above? Sorry about the lengthy questions.
    put the receptacles where you want, and there's no code that says what height the cable must be ran through the studs. you are supposed to support (strap with staples) the cable within 12" of the box. (fyi) (also every 4 1/2', but traveling through the studs is counted as a support)

Comment

Thank you very much!!!
      92 LX 5.0

Comment

if its the garage i would jsut run conduit to the boxes and call it a day. easy, and it looks manly!

god bless.
        It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

Originally posted by ELVIS View Post
          if its the garage i would jsut run conduit to the boxes and call it a day. easy, and it looks manly!

god bless.
          And Elvis needs all the help he can get..
          Originally posted by BradM
          But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
          Originally posted by Leah
          In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
            And Elvis needs all the help he can get..
            true that!

i just think it looks cool, plus easy to do yourself.

god bless.
            It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

It is just the garage. I never thought about running conduit, mainly because I figured it would cost more. I do like that idea though!

This is a real simple install, the breaker box is on that wall, and I can run straight across the wall to where I want to go. The first outlet is less than 6' away.
              92 LX 5.0

Comment

Originally posted by STANGGT40 View Post
                put the receptacles where you want, and there's no code that says what height the cable must be ran through the studs. you are supposed to support (strap with staples) the cable within 12" of the box. (fyi) (also every 4 1/2', but traveling through the studs is counted as a support)
                I'm out of town and don't have my books with me (nor do I have the PDF's yet on my iPad), but I think there is a minimum height for outlets too. It doesn't sound like the OP has any worries there though. I believe the requirement is to protect against water (flood or spill) from splashing into the outlet.

Comment

Originally posted by juiceweezl View Post
                  I'm out of town and don't have my books with me (nor do I have the PDF's yet on my iPad), but I think there is a minimum height for outlets too. It doesn't sound like the OP has any worries there though. I believe the requirement is to protect against water (flood or spill) from splashing into the outlet.
                  i'm not aware of any nec requirement for receptacle height, in a residential application. as you said, even if there were one, it doesn't sound like he would be anywhere close to it.

Comment

i'm not aware of any nec requirement for receptacle height, in a residential application. as you said, even if there were one, it doesn't sound like he would be anywhere close to it.
                    I may be thinking of counter tops where the outlet must be a certain height above the counter. Outlets in a garage have to have a GFI though, right?

Comment

Here is what I did in my garage. I put three of them in and since I had extra room in my load center each one has it's own 20amp breaker. I think I had about $75 in parts with most of that being the roll of RX12/2. Took about 2 hours to do the whole thing start to finish.

Comment

How about you get in the attic, run it above the ceiling, drill through the header and drop it down the wall....that's what I just did.

Comment

Originally posted by juiceweezl View Post
                          I may be thinking of counter tops where the outlet must be a certain height above the counter. Outlets in a garage have to have a GFI though, right?
                          From what I remember, the nec now requires all receptacles in the garage to be gfci protected.

Comment

From what I remember, the nec now requires all receptacles in the garage to be gfci protected.
                            I installed a bunch of outlets in the garage year before last and was told as long as the first plug in the chain was a GFCI it was good.
                            "You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating Fruit Loops on your front porch"

Comment

Originally posted by AdRock View Post
                              I installed a bunch of outlets in the garage year before last and was told as long as the first plug in the chain was a GFCI it was good.
                              My house was built in 2005, and this is how it is wired. I'll be back in the office on Monday and can look then since that's where my books are. I think if the first outlet in the chain is GFI, then all should be protected that are behind it.

Comment

Working...
                              X