Does paint go bad after a long time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does paint go bad after a long time?

I've got some paint that is probably 2, 2 1/2 years old, and has been stored in the attic. Is it still good if I shake the hell/mix it up good, or does the heat/time make it turn into crap? I have not opened the can yet, so no idea what the hell it will look like inside. I also have one, similar age, in the garage, so not exposed to as much heat, but just as old.

Originally posted by yellowstang View Post
    I've got some paint that is probably 2, 2 1/2 years old, and has been stored in the attic. Is it still good if I shake the hell/mix it up good, or does the heat/time make it turn into crap? I have not opened the can yet, so no idea what the hell it will look like inside. I also have one, similar age, in the garage, so not exposed to as much heat, but just as old.
    has it been opened at all? i did a quick search, and it seems like opened paint has a life of 2-years, at best. i've had similar results...i had some latex paint that was useless after about 3-years. i kept it in the garage, thinking that i would use it later...when i went to use it, it wouldn't mix properly and had a very strange color. (i guess that the color mixes had separated) i'm sure that the temperature changes in the garage didn't help much, either.

Comment

If it freezes, it's done. If it's unopened and never frozen, it will last indefinitely.

Comment

Originally posted by Vertnut View Post
        If it freezes, it's done. If it's unopened and never frozen, it will last indefinitely.
        that could've been the issue with mine...being in the garage, it could've gotten cold enough to freeze at some point.

Comment

Originally posted by STANGGT40 View Post
          that could've been the issue with mine...being in the garage, it could've gotten cold enough to freeze at some point.
          In this part of Texas, I highly doubt it ever freezes in the garage. As long as it doesnt, its fine. I have seen paint sometimes seperate to a point that they will no longer mix back up too. Best way to tell if a paint has ever been frozen is to open it up and smell it. If it smells like yesterdays mexical dinner in a barf bag...it has frozen at some point.
          Photobucket

Comment

Just open it and see, but I'd be prepared to get new paint. We used some 3-4 year old paint once, but we never really store it outside. Just stains and sealers are outside.
            Originally posted by MR EDD
            U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

We had a couple of gallons left over in a five gallon bucket that had sat for a couple of years. Opened it a few weeks ago and it had the most toxic smell to it that I have ever encountered. Literally making us sick and had to air out the house pretty thoroughly...
              www.allforoneroofing.com

Comment

Working...
              X