Digital thermostat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Digital thermostat

So I have a Trane HE Weathertron Heat Pump XE1200 (mod num TWP042C100A3) and I "upgraded" to a Honeywell digital thermostat (non programmable). I had an HVAC guy talk me through it over the phone. My prob is that the damn thing wont shut off on its own! Its gets up to the desired temp and just stays there running. Yes I do have it to auto and not on. Anyone care to help me out with this? Any help would be great...

which thermostat do you have? did you make sure to get the one for a heat pump?

Comment

Originally posted by STANGGT40 View Post
      which thermostat do you have? did you make sure to get the one for a heat pump?
      I'll bet it has something to do with the "heat pump" feature.

Comment

Heat pumps = bad idea in Texas during the summer

Comment

Originally posted by The King View Post
          why?

Comment

Not efficient at cooling when temps go into or exceed the mid-90's.

On the heating side though they're fine in my experience.

Comment

The trouble you're having is a subtle smack to the back of the head trying to tell you to get a programmable one

Comment

Check your wiring to the stat and make sure red and green are not touching. This will keep the fan running.

Comment

I have a Honeywell t-stat. Just ur basic non programmable one. And yes it is for a heat pump unit. You can hear it click when it gets up to temp but it stays on and the air isnt as warm. So Im thinking that the fan stays running the whole time

Comment

Originally posted by Chocho View Post
                    I have a Honeywell t-stat. Just ur basic non programmable one. And yes it is for a heat pump unit. You can hear it click when it gets up to temp but it stays on and the air isnt as warm. So Im thinking that the fan stays running the whole time
                    if it's just your fan blowing (won't go off, even in the auto or off position), and the thermostat is wired correctly, then you may have a bad fan relay or sequencer. if this happened directly after you changed the thermostat, it could just be wired incorrectly, some wires may be touching eachother, etc. i'm no hvac guy, though; that's just a guess.

Comment

Not efficient at cooling when temps go into or exceed the mid-90's.

On the heating side though they're fine in my experience.
                      that's the first that i've heard of that. i have a carrier 19seer infinity heat pump system, and that thing can freeze me out when it's 100+ outside. i know, because my wife was 9 months pregnant during the hottest part of the summer, and i was under a blanket because she kept it so damned cold in the house!

Comment

Originally posted by STANGGT40 View Post
                        that's the first that i've heard of that. i have a carrier 19seer infinity heat pump system, and that thing can freeze me out when it's 100+ outside. i know, because my wife was 9 months pregnant during the hottest part of the summer, and i was under a blanket because she kept it so damned cold in the house!
                        They've improved a lot then, and that's good information to know. Are your electric bills reasonable in the summer?

Comment

They've improved a lot then, and that's good information to know. Are your electric bills reasonable in the summer?
                          they're a lot better than they were, but i've done quite a bit to help. i had the new hvac system installed with all new ducts, i put a ton of insullation in the attic, i replaced my water heaters with heat pump water heaters, all fluorescent lamps, new windows, solar screens, and probably a few other things that i'm leaving out...

Comment

Whether a unit is a heat pump or not has absolutely nothing to do with how well it cools.

Comment

Originally posted by Chocho View Post
                              So I have a Trane HE Weathertron Heat Pump XE1200 (mod num TWP042C100A3) and I "upgraded" to a Honeywell digital thermostat (non programmable). I had an HVAC guy talk me through it over the phone. My prob is that the damn thing wont shut off on its own! Its gets up to the desired temp and just stays there running. Yes I do have it to auto and not on. Anyone care to help me out with this? Any help would be great...
                              How about you start with what color wires you have coming out of the wall, what terminals they went to on the original thermostat, and what terminals you used on the new thermostat with which color wire. Could be a miswire, or it could also be the wrong thermostat.

Comment

Working...
                              X