Air Compressor Input

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Compressor Input

I'm in the market for a new compressor to replace my oil-less 30 gal one. It's OKAY, but I'm looking at a single stage/oil lubed for...

1. A little more quiet operation
    2. Faster re-fill
    3. Little better performance

Generally I use air ratchets the most, air wrenches, cut off tool, air chisel and I'd like to be able to use air grinders, sanders and paint things with air as well.

I have 220 in my shop but I also need the compressor in the garage. I considered a really long hose, but long story short - I'm staying 110. I'm checking out these two and was curious if anyone had any experience or input with them.

Kobalt 1.6 HP 30-Gallon 155 PSI Electric Air Compressor

- I like this one because of the 30 gallon tank and it's similar spec to the IR below. They both have acceptable warranties (especially when compared to the Harbor Freight version).

Ingersoll Rand 2 HP 20-Gallon 135 PSI Electric Air Compressor

-This one seems to have mildly better specifications and is a pretty good name in the market. I don't care for the 20 gallon tank, but in theory - for a home user and its overall performance it may not be an issue. A couple of buddies bought this one over the Kobalt. Generally speaking the Kobalt is less cost, a similar performance with a bigger tank. So, I'm trying to figure out what I'm missing at this point. It's a very nice compressor, but for the reasons listed above I'm a little confused. As dumb as it is, I do like that it's a lighter color paint for when I have it out in the sun.

Edit: Request this not be moved to the Garage or something. Looking more for input from a DIY'er at home as opposed to professional shop input. They need the high-end expensive stuff, that just is not realistic for my budget/needs.
    Originally posted by MR EDD
    U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Depending on what you want to paint, you're going to need a compressor that can put out more air @40 psi. A lot of guns (even cheap ones) are in the ~10 SCFM range

Comment

Originally posted by racrguy View Post
      Depending on what you want to paint, you're going to need a compressor that can put out more air @40 psi. A lot of guns (even cheap ones) are in the ~10 SCFM range
      Yeah, I came to the realization that I may not be able to do EVERYTHING I want to do with a 110/single stage compressor. I have 220 in the shop, but it would need an outlet run in the shop...etc. Plus, I may want to move it to the garage so I'm limited to 110.

I went with the IR above. There were basically NO bad reviews on it. Although, some great deals out there on the 220 compressors. Still, this is a decent upgrade from the oil-less compressor, but for the money I could have been in a 220, higher end one.

Ah well...we'll see what it can do. Also, to clarify I was just going to use a cheap gun to more or less replace a rattle can. Nothing professional or all that serious.

Comment

Originally posted by ceyko View Post
        Yeah, I came to the realization that I may not be able to do EVERYTHING I want to do with a 110/single stage compressor. I have 220 in the shop, but it would need an outlet run in the shop...etc. Plus, I may want to move it to the garage so I'm limited to 110.

I went with the IR above. There were basically NO bad reviews on it. Although, some great deals out there on the 220 compressors. Still, this is a decent upgrade from the oil-less compressor, but for the money I could have been in a 220, higher end one.

Ah well...we'll see what it can do. Also, to clarify I was just going to use a cheap gun to more or less replace a rattle can. Nothing professional or all that serious.
        How loud is the IR? I need to pick up a new compressor (the oilless I've got is showing it's age) and I'd like to get something that won't wake the dead.

Comment

We have the 80 gallon version of the ir at the shop, and for a compressor that sucker is quite. It fills up really quick and has given us 0 issues in the 6-7 months we have used it. Mind you we use air tools constantly. I am looking at the 60 gallon version for my house. The spot I will be putting it is about 10 ft away from the breaker box so adding a 220 plug will be easy.

Comment

I have the IR 60 gallon upright. Not loud and works great, had it about 8 years, zero issues.

Comment

Note: mine is 240/220V.

Comment

Originally posted by racrguy View Post
                How loud is the IR? I need to pick up a new compressor (the oilless I've got is showing it's age) and I'd like to get something that won't wake the dead.
                I'm still waiting to get it. Regretting it a little, but I ordered from Sears to save 50 bucks with a coupon of theirs. So, they have to get it and then I can pick it up.

My buddy has the exact same one and claims it's "very quiet" compared to his smaller twin tank compressor (Rigid - Oil-less) As in you can still have a conversation with it in the shop/garage.

I'll provide more feedback when I actually have it though. Although, I trust that friend of mine and the reviews supported that as well.

Comment

Working...
                X