Peeps with a green thumb..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sorcrazy View Post
    When you lay the cloth you just lay it on top of where you plan to plant. Why do you need to dig out then lay down and put dirt on top that fixes nothing. Most weeds grow close to the surface at first and work there root system side ways to spread fast.

Best bet spray (the warmer the better), till within 8 hrs, mound up, cover with weed block, cover with mulch a minimum 3in. Then you can go back and place plants on mulch to stage. Then move mulch, cut, remove a little dirt and drop plant in place with it about 6-8in above current dirt level, push mulch back around plant. Remember newly planted plant will settle an in or two and the 3in of mulch pushed up to plant stem.

Sent via DROID 3 from the Kingdom of Saudi. Reminding me everyday why I love the US so much.
    Apparently you have your way, and I have mine.

Comment

dont till it first, you'll just make it worse,
      1st if everything is out of the bed , spray with round up wait till a complete kill is made then you can till it up, you can plant 99% of anything after a small window (look at label) i believe its 24-48 hours
      2nd put down some preen, bedding pre-emergence
      3rd (like someone said) lay down some weed barrier, x it out and plant

and unless the area is prone to holding water, plant flush, not above the soil level
      Last edited by zemog; 03-26-2012, 05:01 AM. Reason: me

Comment

Lawn Jockey is back!!! FTW!!!

Comment

My new box woods going in. We pulled up the old mulch, screen and some dirt, dug the holes 2-3 times the size of the shrub's root ball, and twice as deep...filled hole around new shrub with Miracle-Gro soil for trees and shrubs....put down a layer of top soil then screen covered with mulch.

halfway done about 6 more to put in

The plant tag showed they needed to be spaced by 3-5 feet. The end result is to have just a one long continous boxwood in a few years.
          Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

I swear I see some red flowers next to those boxwoods.

Comment

Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
              I swear I see some red flowers next to those boxwoods.
              The boxwoods are to hide the red (purple actually) flowers

Comment

i read that a good substitute for the black plastic is wet newspaper. Take an entire section of the newspaper (sports) open it up, lay it flat on the ground then wet it so it all sticks together. Layer the paper 3-4 inches over each other at the edges, then put down mulch on top. The layers of newspaper will create a barrier for the weeds, and also help retain moisture to the soil.

Comment

Originally posted by Lone Sailor View Post
                  Lawn Jockey is back!!! FTW!!!

LMAO

Comment

Originally posted by Silverback View Post
                    i read that a good substitute for the black plastic is wet newspaper. Take an entire section of the newspaper (sports) open it up, lay it flat on the ground then wet it so it all sticks together. Layer the paper 3-4 inches over each other at the edges, then put down mulch on top. The layers of newspaper will create a barrier for the weeds, and also help retain moisture to the soil.
                    i works, but for a limited time, as where you get well over 5 years with the weed barrier, depending on which one you use

Comment

Originally posted by zemog View Post
                      i works, but for a limited time, as where you get well over 5 years with the weed barrier, depending on which one you use
                      That's been my experience as well. Works great for a garden though, that you're going to till up every year. Much cheaper too.

Good luck with those boxwood Keith. Every cat in your neighborhood will be pissing in them.
                      Originally posted by BradM
                      But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                      Originally posted by Leah
                      In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                        That's been my experience as well. Works great for a garden though, that you're going to till up every year. Much cheaper too.

Good luck with those boxwood Keith. Every cat in your neighborhood will be pissing in them.
                        You have obviously not met my dogs. They love cats.......and birds, and rabbits

Hell I am more worried my female boxer will eat the damn things. I had 20 bags of mulch/dirt at the end of that row and she managed to tear open everyone of them.

Comment

Working...
                        X