A/C system is seriously fubar'd - need $$$ advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A/C system is seriously fubar'd - need $$$ advice

I am closing on my "new" home on April 30th. This once medium-high scale home in the heart of Keller has been seriously neglected...which is mainly why I can afford it. It has good bones, but its most serious problem right now is the A/C system.

I had an A/C company come out to do a diagnostic on it. I have an exterior Amana unit with heat pump. There is not a drop of Freon in the lines as it has a leak somewhere.

The interior unit is where it gets bad. The coil rusted out and the rust went through the secondary drain and just went all over the side of the house. I am going to have to acid wash it off my brick.

I assume I am going to have to replace the entire attic unit since the coil is gone and rusted everything out (including my pan)?

What am I looking at cost wise here? Can leaks on exterior units be repaired pretty easily?

depending on size $4-10k.

Comment

Originally posted by goofygrin View Post
      depending on size $4-10k.
      1972 sqft.

My brother in law was able to get a 5 ton attic unit for roughly $1500...if I did the work myself (call in help for sweating the connections) would I save any money?

Comment

Originally posted by IHaveAMustang View Post
        1972 sqft.

My brother in law was able to get a 5 ton attic unit for roughly $1500...if I did the work myself (call in help for sweating the connections) would I save any money?
        Save money now? Yes. Save money in the long run while your patience grows thin and you sweat like a MF'er when it's 110 out because you're untrained in HVAC work and screwed up the install? Not a chance. Pay someone and get it done right.

Comment

no AC expert but is 5 ton too big for that space?

Comment

PM White_Lightning for some AC help/hook up.

Comment

5T sounds about right (not an AC guy but again, sounds reasonable).

Coils alone typically will run you $1500. Not sure how you're going to get even more work done for less unless you have a friend/buddy discount or use some shitty contractor that will get you later when shit don't work.

Comment

I had our entire system minus ductwork replaced for roughy $5,500. $3k for a new 5 ton 16(?) seer outside unit. All new and larger copper lines, new air handler and install for $2,500.

I can get you the contact for the guys who did my work. If you want to come over and take a look at their work let me know.
                Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

Originally posted by kbscobravert View Post
                  I had our entire system minus ductwork replaced for roughy $5,500. $3k for a new 5 ton 16(?) seer outside unit. All new and larger copper lines, new air handler and install for $2,500.

I can get you the contact for the guys who did my work. If you want to come over and take a look at their work let me know.
                  I'd love to have the info. Thanks

I've been to your house before and it was nice and cool inside, so no doubt they did a good job. I'm still hopeful the outside unit is good and can be replaced. Inside unit is for sure being swapped.

Comment

Originally posted by IHaveAMustang View Post
                    1972 sqft.

If you did all the labor work that's involved with removing an old unit from the attic, hanging the new unit, setting up the drain pan/drains and connecting the ducts...I don't see why not. The same AC tech that will charge the system can sweat the fittings.

If you plan on finding a buddy to sweat the fittings, know that it uses a different solder than what you'd use for your typical plumbing....ask me how I know!

And as far as your 5 ton...I'm sure we've all heard the old rule of thumb of 1 ton/500 sq feet...but that doesn't take into consideration that alot of houses nowadays are built with 10 foot ceilings and vaulted ceilings.

Comment

All I know is my old 5 ton would run non-stop in a 2600 sq ft home. Most of these homes are not THAT efficient....not to mention what George said and that's a low ceiling really compared to a lot of them.

Personally, I'd go 5 ton for the 2000 sq ft home. I'm no pro and I'm sure there are a 1001 things in over-sizing but - I can tell you a 4 ton will probably struggle at 2K sq ft.
                      Originally posted by MR EDD
                      U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

You need a manual j for sizing. My old house was 2200' with 4 tons and no problems.
                        Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
                        2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

Too much A/C can lead to some moisture/mold issues. It's worth getting it engineered.

Comment

almost forgot...i wouldn't install a 5 ton air handler unless your condensor unit is also a 5 ton.

I don't claim to be an expert..i can only speak of my personal experiences and what i've learned by speaking to other AC techs. It's been suggested to me, when I was shopping around for AC work, that i could go up a 1/2 ton. I don't know what going up 1 whole ton would do as far as performance.

Comment

PM Mr EDD oh wait he is banned lolz
                              2005 M3 Vert with TSW rims
                              2001 Dodge Dakota R/T C/H/I, gears, exhaust, and 125 shot of nos
                              2012 Ford Edge

Comment

Working...
                              X