Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone know anything about soil samples and ponds?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone know anything about soil samples and ponds?

Looking at a piece of property that is 2.34 acres with a VERY high water table (1-1.5' down). There has been soil samples done and the area where a pond would go is sand from 2' to 7' or so. With a high water table and sand, I assume that the sand will naturally try and drain the pond unless the entire ground around it is well saturated. Clay starts at the 8' area. I know clay holds water but the sand wont. The property needs a large water storage and probably 2-3 permanent wells to control the water table. Great thing is there is tons of natural water to water the entire 2 acres.

So the question is, will the sand hold water with the high water table or will it have to be lined with clay or a liner to prevent the water level from dropping?

Apparently there is a little more science than renting an excavator and digging a hole. Id love to dig it myself by renting an excavator, we will see if we get the property or not.

I would consult a geologist.

Comment

Contact the extension office in the County that the property is located, they can probably help you with the particular soil types in that area and what your best course of action is for meeting your desire to successfully build a pond/tank.

Also, unless you have $1 million of insurance coverage you will not be renting any large scale excavating equipment. All of the rental places now require this in order to keep the common home and property owner from tearing up the equipment and/or their own property or property of others due to inexperience of using said equipment.

Comment

Working...
      X